cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Fire

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Call this an "FYI".........**See update at bottom!

Some of you will remember "Professor95" from his many posts on the Tech Issues Forum - usually related to generators. (He's a PE & well qualified electrician).

He can be found now as a regular contributor on the Escapees HDT forum as "RandyA" (he tows his 5th wheel with an HDT).

He recently posted to that forum regarding the total destruction of his 5th wheel due to a fire - caused by Li-on batts in his golf cart.

He is/was looking for other forum members who had a hitch available for his HDT. However, it's worth scrolling through the thread for his posts regarding the *fire* details - and getting out at 3AM!!
(He managed that OK - but the 5th was a total loss).

Clicky - Professor95(s) Trailer Fire

NEW (2nd) thread by Randy - with additional photos.

Additional photos (Yikes!) Clicky.

Rehearse your EXIT plan!! - - Your life may depend on it.

~
21 REPLIES 21

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
still down
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
2nd *Link* with additional fire photos added to original (first) post.

Not a pretty sight..:(

~

Neither link works for me now. It says "Community Not Available"??

site is down at this time try the link later
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

greende
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

~

Neither link works for me now. It says "Community Not Available"??
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

nevadan660
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed RV MFG's are not installing enough smoke detectors in their products. If the only smoke detector is placed in the kitchen/living area and a fire originates in a bedroom with the door closed???? . . . . In addition, smoke detectors placed on the ceiling should be placed on the wall instead. One dinky fire extinguisher in a new rv from the MFG. is not enough. I bought a larger multi-purpose for outside compartment and one near the bedroom, & purchased an additional smoke detector (for bedroom) and carbon monoxide also. CM - NV
2005 CHEV-DURAMAX-HD2500-CREWCAB-4X4
2015 ARTIC FOX 295T FIFTH WHEEL

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
YakFishMo wrote:
If I can fight my way to the door, I'm going out that way. Not through that little window.

And....if you can't??..

"If I can fight my way to the door..."

You may win the "fight" - but pay the ultimate price!

Learn and understand (read & heed)....
"Respiratory Tract Damage Due to Burns" (and inhaling smoke & toxic products of combustion)..

"The little window" *is* a lousy alternative, until it's the *only* alternative!..:S

And yeah - the RV industry should devise a more practical emergency exit.!

~

YakFishMo
Explorer
Explorer
If I can fight my way to the door, I'm going out that way. Not through that little window.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2015 F-350 6.7 CC DRW

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
"Extinguisher(s)" - are for - *AFTER* - you get out.

*GETTING OUT* - - is *THE* issue.

Take a look at the 5th - his (photo) - or your 5th wheel.

If you wake up to a raging fire in your 5th at 3AM -

...........Can you get out of that window over the dresser?

Ever tried it?

~

YakFishMo
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle
Stock fire extinguisher is a joke to begin with. Do yourself a favor and purchase a larger capacity with a metal valve body instead of plastic. When I purchase a new RV I leave the fire extinguisher and mattress at the dealer and put my own in.

The other thing is most people don't have a clue how to properly use it, P.A.S.S. method. Had to have fire training every year for 30 years at my job along with C.P.R.

Unless the fire is in the incipient stage your best to get out. Fumes are extremely toxic.

Exactly right. The fire extinguisher that comes in our RV's might be able to extinguish an English muffin fire in your toaster, but I wouldn't rely on it for much more. I've used 5 pound extinguishers before and was amazed at how fast they empty. Buy the biggest extinguisher you can and buy more than one. I keep one by my bed because I'll have to fight my way out. Like Randy said, you would have to be Twiggy and a gymnast to get out of the emergency exit window. Remember, the heat smoke and most fumes are going to be high. You need to be as close to the floor as possible when escaping.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2015 F-350 6.7 CC DRW

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
After reading Randy's description of events, it makes me wonder if he had one of the Kidde extinguishers that's under recall and hadn't been replaced yet. He did say that it flat didn't work. If that's the case, it's a strong reminder to get those d@mn things swapped out!

Lyle
Stock fire extinguisher is a joke to begin with. Do yourself a favor and purchase a larger capacity with a metal valve body instead of plastic. When I purchase a new RV I leave the fire extinguisher and mattress at the dealer and put my own in.

The other thing is most people don't have a clue how to properly use it, P.A.S.S. method. Had to have fire training every year for 30 years at my job along with C.P.R.

Unless the fire is in the incipient stage your best to get out. Fumes are extremely toxic.

NorthernNeck_VA
Explorer
Explorer
Just glad they are safe!!
Jimmy & Kathy
Northern Neck, VA.
2013 Landmark San Antonio
2016 F350
2005 Ford F350, DRW, Diesel (SOLD)
2005 King of the Road "Royal Villa" 34BW (SOLD)

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
After reading Randy's description of events, it makes me wonder if he had one of the Kidde extinguishers that's under recall and hadn't been replaced yet. He did say that it flat didn't work. If that's the case, it's a strong reminder to get those d@mn things swapped out!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MrWizard
Man that fire was intense
RVs do burn fast, but i think the higher temperature of the lithium battery fire made the situation worse, raging inferno comes to mind

I looked at those Chevy volt batteries on line, lithium ion, not the newer liFePo,

I read thru Randy's description of what happen, and it sounds very plausible

There was something wrong somewhere

Just like those hoverboard fires, and the early laptop fires, and the E-pipe Vap fires

Battery degradation
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a fire last year when in Florida during the winter stay. The wiring on the water heater caught fire around 2:00 am. I woke to about a foot of dense smoke hanging down from the ceiling. My wife awoke at the same time. I yelled to her to get the dogs and herself out now! The smoke alarm then went off and I went down stair in or 5th wheel and could see the smoke boiling out from the panel under the tv. I new that was where the water heater was and assumed that the problem was there. She got outside with the dogs and I knew where a screwdriver was in the cabinet. Grabbed it and pried out the panel far enough to get my fingers behind it and tore it off. Just as I got it off a water line burned in to and put out the majority of the fire, I extinguished the rest. That was all the excitement I wanted. We were very lucky.