cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS with Truck or Aftermarket

SeaVee
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed on some of the new tucks today, you can get them with Trailer TPMS monitoring. It seems they monitor pressure, but not temperature. I know most aftermarket systems like TST monitor both.

Having a system with a built in screen would be nice with one less screen to look at, but wondering how important is temperature monitoring? They systems cost about the same, but more just wondering the best way to go.
6 REPLIES 6

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
My truck came with the optional 4 TMP sensors ($50) option. When I get my 5th wheel I have to have the sensors installed. They will read temp and pressure and display it on my dash. It is part of the towing option om my 2020 GMC.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
The temperature feature only reports the reading beyond the valve stem, that is not going to be a reliable way of determining brake and bearing issues.

You may have to explain this to me. If I have a brake stuck and it heats the wheel which heats the tire and I see it on my TPMS, how is that not helping? By deduction, if my PSI is where it needs to be I can assume there is another problem than the tire. Are you suggesting a high temp reading on a TPMS isn't helpful? I sure would want to know if one wheel was significantly hotter than another. Sure beats not knowing.

I do have the TST 507, the sending unit is whipping around in the wind keeping the temperature down. It would take extreme heat to bring the sensor to the point of alarm, but by then the air pressure would have climbed to the point of alarm anyway. I had Chinese wheel bearings that were failing to the point of turning all the red grease metallic gray and the TPMS showed normal temperatures. Helpful? Maybe a little.

Interesting. I too have the TST 507 and find it pretty accurate. Friend shot his high dollar laser temp gauge on my tires and they were pretty close to what the TST read. It even picks up small changes like when one tire was in the sun while driving as opposed to the other side that was not. Maybe yours needs calibrated. To each his own, but I prefer to have both PSI and Temp and find each helpful and fairly accurate.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
The temperature feature only reports the reading beyond the valve stem, that is not going to be a reliable way of determining brake and bearing issues.

You may have to explain this to me. If I have a brake stuck and it heats the wheel which heats the tire and I see it on my TPMS, how is that not helping? By deduction, if my PSI is where it needs to be I can assume there is another problem than the tire. Are you suggesting a high temp reading on a TPMS isn't helpful? I sure would want to know if one wheel was significantly hotter than another. Sure beats not knowing.

I do have the TST 507, the sending unit is whipping around in the wind keeping the temperature down. It would take extreme heat to bring the sensor to the point of alarm, but by then the air pressure would have climbed to the point of alarm anyway. I had Chinese wheel bearings that were failing to the point of turning all the red grease metallic gray and the TPMS showed normal temperatures. Helpful? Maybe a little.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Temperature monitoring is important. An underinflated tire will generate more heat and alert you to the problem before a blowout as should PSI monitoring however, temps can also be indicative of a hung brake, and overheating hub etc. If you are going to get a monitoring system, you might as well get one that monitors everything.