cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow vehicle for 5er

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Got this fifth wheel, that maxes out at 15,000 LBS. Looking for a truck to tow it with. Kinda confused on this. Not having much luck on crunching the weight rating numbers of trucks (towing capacity) Must not be doing it right. Looking for a ten year old truck max. What model trucks are you guys using to tow a 15,000 LB 5er? thank you
27 REPLIES 27

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Go to trailer life's site and look at the various years. I think you will find not many trucks over 5 years old will have a tow rating you need for a 15K 5'er. Seems you'll be looking for a 1T dually diesel truck less than 5 years old from what I see in the guide.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I am for sure getting a dually. Where my confusion comes in is GCWR. Not being able to find good info on that. I have seen info on trucks that are listed with a GCWR of 16,000LBS. the numbers don't seem right.

GCWR isn't posted/stickered on our trucks as too many things like axle ratio's or a different tranny or different hp ratings in the same engine/etc can change a truck makers GCWR usually found on a brochure.

Good luck on finding a one ton anything diesel that doesn't have 150-200k miles on it......or has been a play toy with a big hp plug and play box.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
In chevy look only to 2011 and above for a SRW. It has the same payload almost as a dually the year before.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Don't be fooled into thinking something below 2008 can handle that weight comfortably.
My 2003 F-450 would beg to differ. It handles our 15k fiver without breaking a sweat. Of course, my payload rating is just under 8,000 pounds and the 3,000 pound pin weight only drops the suspension about an inch and a half. I can disconnect the trailer brakes and still stop comfortably.

On the flip side, Truckasaurus is a darned uncomfortable beast when she's NOT pulling the fiver. If I run over a dime in the road, I can tell you what year it was minted by the feeling in my kidneys.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
AlaskaShooter wrote:
Why? People pull em with Kenworth's. I pulled my prior smaller 5er with my F-550. I looked at the F-350 however the steering geometry is much better on the 450 vs. the 350. Plus I have a heavy 12' Lance camper I also haul with it. Does a great job.

For sure if you need an F450 for something else than using it for a 5th wheel as well is great. I'm sure it does very well and likely almost as good as a properly sized truck. A class 8 is a whole different deal....I guess if I had to maybe I would use my Peterbilt to haul my little 5th wheel but a I"m glad I don't have to.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 12,000 lb fifth wheel with an 8.1 gas & it does very well. I have no problems maintaining the speed limit up 8% grades & it would pull another 3000 as long as you're not in a hurry. It is a gas hog though. Mine's a 2500 & at it's limit so a 3500 dually would be needed.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Why? People pull em with Kenworth's. I pulled my prior smaller 5er with my F-550. I looked at the F-350 however the steering geometry is much better on the 450 vs. the 350. Plus I have a heavy 12' Lance camper I also haul with it. Does a great job.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
AlaskaShooter wrote:
My only advice is you can't have to much truck when towing! I tow with a 2017 F-450.

We spent the summer of 2016 in Alaska with our old 30' fifth wheel. We were set up in a Camp Ground in BC off of the Casier Hwy. when a new arrival started down the gravel road desent to the pull through site next to ours. They made it about 50' before the trailer began to drive his undersized truck. Pushing it down the hill with his brakes locked up. He finally slid and turned off the road onto the grass and got the rig stopped before he slid past his site. Not enough truck for the toy hauler he was towing in that instance. Just because you can pull it doesn't mean you can stop it. Gravity is evil at times. I also suspect his brakes on the trailer were sick or the after market trailer brake controller he was using was not set correctly to activate the brakes enough to help the truck slow and stop the trailer. It was either a 1/2 or 3/4 ton SRW he was towing with.

Good luck with your decision.

Pulling a 15000 lb RV with a new F450 might work ok but it won't work as good as pulling that weight trailer with a new F350.
B&W Companion

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
My friend's 2003 F350 with a V-10 has a payload rating of over 3600 lbs, and a GCVWR of 20,000 lbs.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
I sure don't see the big objection to def. It is not very expensive (about $8/2.5 gallons), only needs replenishing about every 5000-6000 miles, and only takes a couple of minutes to pour into the vehicle tank. At least that has been my experience with it in the past year.
Barney

I find the Def system to require more maintenance than what it should. It is not really that complicated but the components are made by Bosch and it seems they have been designed to just out last the warranty period. I had a heating element fail on my 2011 Powerstroke at about 90,000 miles. I bought the part from someone who deleted his F450 and did the work of changing it myself so it wasn't too bad. But, others I know with both Chev and Ford have had the same issue and it was a $1000 repair. Likely Ram is the same, I just don't know anyone with a newer Ram.
B&W Companion

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
More torque with a diesel, just saying...

Tim Nowicki wrote:
Gas mileage not even a factor. Lookin at my options to SAFELY tow a 15,000LB 5er. Heck I've been doin 6-7 MPG for the last 25 years on my motorhomes!!!
Tim
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sure don't see the big objection to def. It is not very expensive (about $8/2.5 gallons), only needs replenishing about every 5000-6000 miles, and only takes a couple of minutes to pour into the vehicle tank. At least that has been my experience with it in the past year.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Since I'm never likely to tow a FW that large, my =personal= "dream truck" would be an '07 Duramax "classic" with LBZ engine. NO DEF REQUIRED! Yes, a lot less payload, but not having to deal with DEF and much cheaper taxes, er, =registration=, makes it my "ideal". Now, were money no object, I'd =build= a truck on an '07 frame, with upgraded suspension capacity. Best thing would be, you guessed it; NO DEF and CHEAPER to register. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
My only advice is you can't have to much truck when towing! I tow with a 2017 F-450.

We spent the summer of 2016 in Alaska with our old 30' fifth wheel. We were set up in a Camp Ground in BC off of the Casier Hwy. when a new arrival started down the gravel road desent to the pull through site next to ours. They made it about 50' before the trailer began to drive his undersized truck. Pushing it down the hill with his brakes locked up. He finally slid and turned off the road onto the grass and got the rig stopped before he slid past his site. Not enough truck for the toy hauler he was towing in that instance. Just because you can pull it doesn't mean you can stop it. Gravity is evil at times. I also suspect his brakes on the trailer were sick or the after market trailer brake controller he was using was not set correctly to activate the brakes enough to help the truck slow and stop the trailer. It was either a 1/2 or 3/4 ton SRW he was towing with.

Good luck with your decision.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch