Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tonneau recommendations

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks!
I would love to hear your opinions on tonneau covers that work for your TV and 5th wheel. I would love to keep stuff secure from sight when disconnected, but be able to connect to the rig without risk of losing the cover on the road etc. Any favorites out there?

Thanks so much!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
60 REPLIES 60

cpaharley2008
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a tonneau cover that can be used closed, while towing? I was thinking of cutting an access hole in mine and keep it closed for better aerodynamics....
2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 11,300miles- lifetime warranty
2012 Toyota FJ-500 miles
2014 Escape 21' All Season trailer

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
SparkDr wrote:
Extang Trifecta for me. Have had one on my last 3 trucks and will have one again on the next truck. Don't know if it would work for a 5er application, though.

Same here!
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I guess I'll be different...we have an Advantage Torza Top Tri-fold rag top tonneau cover for 3 years now and just fold it open when towing the 5er and close it when not towing. Fantastic cover, still looks brand spanking new.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
SparkDr wrote:
Extang Trifecta for me. Have had one on my last 3 trucks and will have one again on the next truck. Don't know if it would work for a 5er application, though.

Same here. I've had two and also buy again.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

416Rigby
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BakFlip cover BakFlip.com
Works great while hauling the trailer. Just fold it back past the 5th wheel hitch. Can also be completely removed in a couple minutes by yourself.
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie LongHorn MegaCab 4x4 Hemi w/4.56 gears. On 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers.
2013 273FWRET Sprinter Copper Canyon 31' 5th Wheel
Me, the Wife & two happy little Chihuahua puppers, Rigby & Aspen.
Jason. ~NM9Z~

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having good luck with the Retrax Pro! Works best on long box since you do lose some space to the roll-up canister.

It's a solid cover, locks at any point along the track. You can roll it pack partway to cover the box in front of the hitch when pulling the 5er.

Thats what I like the most about mine as well. I can throw the firewood in front of the hitch, hitch up the fiver and move the cover back to cover the firewood if the weather looks iffy. Also since its retractable the wife or kids have no problems using it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having good luck with the Retrax Pro! Works best on long box since you do lose some space to the roll-up canister.

It's a solid cover, locks at any point along the track. You can roll it pack partway to cover the box in front of the hitch when pulling the 5er.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the trifecta trifold for 15 yrs. it's soft side and flips back. Putting one on my long bed I just flipped the handle around and the cover stays flat. I don't really keep anything in the bed but the hitch and it stays nice and clean.

Bruce

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
mikeh449 wrote:
bak flip g2 hard cover 4 sections with locking tailgate unable to be opened latches on each section

X2

Much better design than the original.

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
Our dually came with a Lorado roll up soft bed cover thats been on the truck since late 2005 and has held up extremely well.

When not towing the cover keeps the hitch and other bed contents out of sight.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Truxedo Truxport because I need one that would stretch over my generator that sits a couple of inches or so above the side rails. The Truxedo works great.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

sure2rain
Explorer
Explorer
Another Tonno Pro user--Tri-fold with aluminum plates under the fabric which will hold up to snow load and be a deterrent for thieves. Price very good when compared to other hard tonnos. Their customer service is outstanding.
TV: 05 Chevy 2500 8.1L
5er: 2010 Open Range 385RLS
Hensley Arrow and P3

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Jpatrickc wrote:
JohnG3 wrote:
Have the Extang roll up soft cover. Waterproof when snapped in place, easy to roll up against the cab, Velcro straps sewn on both sides at the cab and hold the tonneau securely when rolled up. No issues with the hitch when the tonneau is in place.

x2 on the Extang. I took a length of 1 1/2" PCC pipe drilled small holes and screwed in 3 screw in snaps to mate with 3 on the back edge of the cover. It makes it easier to roll the cover neatly.

Now that is a great idea, thanks.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
I don't have a tonneau cover per say, I have a Softtopper for the last t years.

Softtopper is a fabric cap stretched over a folding Aluminum frame.

Check it out at https://www.softopper.com/

I love mine. I did have an issue with the back vinyl window cracking on a cold January 1 trip, but they immediately sent me a replacement under warranty. I think I may retrofit the the back panel with the cracked vinyl with some weatherproof canvas to use on cold weather trips, and otherwise will use the vinyl - you could swap them in about a minute.

The nice thing about it versus a flat tonneau cover is you get a ton more covered space, of particular importance to me so I can fit a dog kennel back there. The major tradeoff versus a hard tonneau cover is security.

While these may work for you the OP was looking for information about a tonneau and a 5th wheel! :S

To the OP, I have had an Extang Tuff Tonneau roll-up for almost 11 years. It has been on 2 trucks and is still in good shape. Did have the cover replaced under warranty because of bad stitching within the first 5 years but no issues since. I like it for keeping stuff dry and clean.

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for the Truxedo. I've had it 2008 and I wouldn't change it for anything.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg