cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before you all jump on me abut inflation and weight, etc. I always check my tires and make sure they are aired up to 95 lbs (as called for)...Well, this weekend, one of my Chinese tire bombs blew on me on the way home from a trip. The tires are 235 85 R 16. I am looking at the Endurance. Weird thing is that the OEM tires say load range F and Endurance are E. When I look at inflation rates per Goodyear, they say I can hit the same rating by airing up to 95 lbs or 100 even though tires say 80lbs. So are people still happy with Endurance? My only requirement is tires made in North America, preferably the USA.
61 REPLIES 61

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tow my 7k tandem axle boat trailer nearly every day 75 miles for the last three years at 70mph from May thru October. Oh yea in and out of Salt Water to boot. ZERO issues.

Have I mentioned they are USMade???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Those interested in reading about a blowout with a Goodyear Endurance ,there is one on the Montana Owners Forum in the " Tires, Montana tires " section . On the first page of that section , title of the thread is " Montana LT vs ST tires . The report is on page 3 of that thread. Mr C is the name of the person that reported it . Supposedly it did $600.00 worth of damage ,and Goodyear would not reimburse . He stated he was going to the Sailun tire .

I "think" he may be mistaken.... Mr.C stated " I had Goodyear Endurance on my 3582RL a couple years ago. A lot heavier Montana than yours. They were only 4 years old with good thread."

that would make those tires from about 2014'ish ??

The Goodyear company rolled out the Endurance in 2017 - 2017
New Endurance features Durawall Technology
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company has answered that call with the new Endurance trailer tire, which was unveiled this week during Goodyear's 2017 Customer Conference in Orlando, Fla.Jan 30, 2017

Goodyear Launches American-Manufactured Trailer Tire"

Perhaps he had Goodyear Marathons ????

Good catch!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
Well I had a GY G114 that was just over 4 years old blow last summer. Monitor showed all tires running the same basic pressure and temps. No warnings and were running at 65 on the Ohio Turnpike, no question when it went as it sounded like a shotgun going off. Now running Sailuns.

Blow out??? Did GY inspect tire?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Those interested in reading about a blowout with a Goodyear Endurance ,there is one on the Montana Owners Forum in the " Tires, Montana tires " section . On the first page of that section , title of the thread is " Montana LT vs ST tires . The report is on page 3 of that thread. Mr C is the name of the person that reported it . Supposedly it did $600.00 worth of damage ,and Goodyear would not reimburse . He stated he was going to the Sailun tire .

I "think" he may be mistaken.... Mr.C stated " I had Goodyear Endurance on my 3582RL a couple years ago. A lot heavier Montana than yours. They were only 4 years old with good thread."

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company has answered that call with the new Endurance trailer tire, which was unveiled this week during Goodyear's 2017 Customer Conference in Orlando, Fla.Jan 30, 2017

I too think he may be mistaken , as said on my previous post it doesn't make sense . The time frame doesn't work . As said I sent him a PM , but its a Goodyear it seems . I can't imagine anyone putting on a Goodyear Marathon tire on that heavy of fifth wheel, they were worse then the G614's . Its also possible he could have had the G614's .

Hopefully he will respond to the PM. I have no doubt he had a Goodyear failure , but what Goodyear. We see the G114, G614, the Marathon all fail with blowouts .Its either he has the wrong time frame or the wrong Goodyear tire. If the wrong time frame then we can add the Endurance with a blow out ,and damage to a fifth wheel from the Goodyear line .

cummins2014 wrote:

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Well I had a GY G114 that was just over 4 years old blow last summer. Monitor showed all tires running the same basic pressure and temps. No warnings and were running at 65 on the Ohio Turnpike, no question when it went as it sounded like a shotgun going off. Now running Sailuns.

Not much more that I can explain, but still get questioned about my Sailun troubles by ONE individual. I have no idea what happened with your blowout , but as you say there is no doubt when it blew out.

These tires do fail, but IMO Sailun is the best we can put on our fifth wheels . Goodyears track record just is not that good. Its simple for me I don't want to be sitting beside the road again with a blown tire like you experienced also.

I too now run TPMS , and I have no way to know, but going out on a limb here ,if I had been running a TPMS , we possibly wouldn't be talking about a Sailun tire failure. I firmly believe one of two things happened . I slowly lost air until I was running a deflated tire , when I did look in my mirror like I do ,I had a tire smoking to the point I thought my fifth wheel was on fire. Or a sudden loss ,and the same thing when I looked I had a smoking tire, either way I still wish I would have had a TPMS.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what more I can say about the Sailun tire, other then it was not a sudden blowout, if it was it was a quiet one, I admit I have never had a blowout. But from everything I have read there is no mistake when a tire with 110 psi blows . Did it fail because of poor construction , maybe , and if it was a defective tire I am the first one I know of with a Sailun tire that had a failure. We can call it what you want , but yes its undermined the cause . Talking with Sailun a tire defect does not take long to show up, this tire was 2 years old with several thousand miles on it ,and run in 90 plus degree weather. Most likely I was a victim of a road hazard , knowing the quality of the Sailun tire . The road I was on was terrible, and I could not miss all the pot holes. They were not small pot holes ,and they were deep , and unpleasant when I would hit one .

I have no idea how far I drove with that tire with no air, as said if it was a blowout is was quiet doing it. To the tires credit being a All Steel radial it held together , no damage to the wheel, no damage to the fifth wheel.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

What was the weight of his trailer? How many miles on the tire? Eventually they'll all blow out. The GVWR on my toy hauler is 14k, 10k dry. I run it 13.5k or so fully loaded, and with 2,500 pin weight, the most on the tires is 11k. Divided by 4 is under 3k per tire. My endurance 235/80/16 that I just put on have a 3,400 pound per tire rating. Even if you take the whole 13,500 pounds, I'm good.

Is there some reason why you would not want to go with the Goodyear Endurance ST 235/85/16 rated at 3640, give yourself a bit more cushion . I see they are only .9 difference in height, wouldn't think that would be a problem.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

What was the weight of his trailer? How many miles on the tire? Eventually they'll all blow out. The GVWR on my toy hauler is 14k, 10k dry. I run it 13.5k or so fully loaded, and with 2,500 pin weight, the most on the tires is 11k. Divided by 4 is under 3k per tire. My endurance 235/80/16 that I just put on have a 3,400 pound per tire rating. Even if you take the whole 13,500 pounds, I'm good.

It was a Montana 3582RL , not sure of the year, he doesn't say. Looking it up the weights they differ depending on the year , looks like they built it for four or five years that model.

I saw anywhere from 15,900 to 16,740 GVWR . 12,270 Dry weight , Pin around 2500, it just depended on what year. Do the math 16K minus the pin lets say its 20% lets be conservative, 3200 on the pin ,12,800 on the axles , 3200 per tire . You tell me is that okay for any of the Endurance tires . If he was loaded up ,and has the year that supposedly has a 16,740, then most likely was overloading those tires.

I sent the guy a PM this morning, to see if I can get the whole story, weights etc, but he says he had an Endurance tire blowout, thats all I know.

No they don't ALL blowout if taken care of properly . Proper inflation ,don't run them longer then what most change there tires out at 5-6 years old . Don't overload them etc etc . Most importantly a quality tire. Regardless of where they are built ,many of us want the best tire we can get. Sailun has proven time again to be that tire for these fifth wheels.

You feel comfortable with those Endurance ,and the weight on them ,great. I wish you good luck, and they will be trouble free.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry no evidence of a GY ENDURANCE non road hazard issue on Montana Forum. I have looked!!!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
On a lighter unit they will probably work fine, Redwoods, especially the early ones run heavy. My '16 had a brochure dry weight of approx 14K, the yellow sticker leaving the Factory put it at just shy of 16K before we even put in a single paper plate.

Sure 8-11K ,run those E rated Endurance, anything much over that you will have issues with Goodyear tires. Many have wised up especially over on the Montana forum, about the only tire now thats recommended for the Montana fifth wheel is the S637 Sailun. Even the Goodyear G614 is being left out of the conversation now with its low rating of 3750

Any fifth wheel these days with 15K or more GVWR should be running G rated at least with a 4080 lb rating or more.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Sailun tire thats being referred too DID NOT have a blowout it was a victim of a road hazard, been established what it was . There is no mistake when a G rated tire has a blowout @ 110 psi. All you have to do is ask the many owners of the Goodyear G614 what a blowout sounds like ,been reported many times on forums , like a gun going off ,no mistake when they blowout. This Sailun did not blowout whatsoever, it had lost air ,and the sidewall was coming apart .

We got a report on the Montana forum of a Goodyear Endurance blowout, plus many G614's . No secret to all the blowouts of G614. The Endurance will also start having issues , too many thinking those E rated are going to hold up under these heavier fifth wheels ,like the thinking this 41' fifth wheel should have those E rated Endurance on it . The issues have started with terrible wear , and now the blowout.

Unfortunately the Goodyear brand does not have a good track record, and its been proven time ,after time.