cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tired of carrying 2x6 boards for levelling.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm tired of carrying two 2x6 boards for levelling my 5th wheel.,there a pain to carry, they sometimes slip when using two of them and occasionally warp.

Two questions:

What do people recommend as an alternative? I'm thinking something plastic easy to use and carry in the bed.

And does anyone think the boards are the best way to level?

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650
35 REPLIES 35

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Yes - our current GD Reflection is what broke them (13,980 across the scales with 3,000 of that on the pin - so 10,980 divided among the four wheels.

In the first two instances, there were larger rocks - perhaps a couple of inches in diameter - hidden under soft soil. This resulted in a large portion of the weight being put in one spot on the leveler causing the breakage. This last time, we were trying to set up on a very unlevel, uneven site in the rain. We ended up moving to another site (couldn't get level enough on our assigned site). I was in a hurry and didn't take the time to examine the ground where the leveler broke... I was just pi$$ed, tired, and in a hurry. None of the breakage events happened on surfaced (asphalt or concrete) sites.

The new levelers are heavier and the plastic/resin appears to be of a different type. I'm hoping for better luck (and I plan on being more careful in the future!).

Rob

Thank you for that!

I do have a boondocking trip coming up where parked on dirt so I will be on the lookout for hidden rocks within soft dirt.

If my Andersen's ever break, I'll probably go with the black levelers linked. Leveling with curved ramps are the way to go and I don't want to give them up!
I love me some land yachting

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I just carry a few short 2 x 8 pressure treated pieces. I guess about 10 or so. Easy to work with, and if you forget to pick them up before leaving a site, no big deal. (done that once, probably learned my lesson) Can put them under landing gear or stab jacks, so just one thing serves multiple purposes.

Cost almost nothing, and endlessly useful around a campsite, besides just leveling.

If you're hauling long pieces of lumber, not surprising that you're tired of all that hassle.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Why not just cut the boards you now have into small pieces like the Lynx levelers. All you need is a board a little bigger than the "footprint" of the tire and merely drive up on them. Need more height than one board? Just put the bottom board sideways to the top board and drive up.

This is what I do. My only issue is that over time as the wood dries out it tends to split, most of the time breaking the board into two pieces. They usually last about 2 seasons before breaking.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I went from wood to the yellow plastic blocks mostly so I donโ€™t have to handle wet wood when winter camping. The yellow blocks do brake on gravel so have been thinking of making some long boards from 3/4 plywood. Now having a 4 pt leveling system when on fairly level ground I let it do the work. Recently I added Snap Pads, they are a great addition., the only time I need to blocking under is to help with its โ€œreachโ€.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget there are a ton of "Leibert" frames out there with no issues at all. You only ever hear about ones that have problems, and I would imagine that most frames out there are Lippert frames, and trundle down the road without shedding parts.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
I decided that 6" plastic levelers were too hard on the tire belt... went to a treated 2x8, cut to fit closely between the wheels... cut a 45 degree angle on each end.. if more than one is needed to get level, just lay two more behind each wheel with the cut angle matching... back onto the new boards and lay another 2x8 on the original boards and then pull up on them.

By only going up 1.5" per move the boards do not move. This procedure can be repeated as many times as you want. If I can't get level with 3 boards, I look for a different site. I do carry 2 pcs of 3/4" plywood cut to the same width for a smaller lift if necessary. Carry the boards standing upright in a plastic milk crate in the truck bed.

I always wonder about the auto leveling systems that are now sold... adding stress to "Leibert" frames. ๐Ÿ™‚
HTML

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
started with scrap spruce, moved onto bevelled 15/16" pressure treated wood stacked...got fancy with plastic decking and now its anderson levellers. Wish I had discovered them sooner!
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to use 2 x 8s but since I redid my deck, I had pieces of Trex left over in several lengths. They are about 9/16" thick and easy to layer without cutting angles on each end.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
For loading and unloading at the residence I do use two glued 2X8's, but camping I just hit the auto level button.......sometimes the wheels are a couple inches off the ground!
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
We've used the Andersen (it's spelled with an 'e') levelers and a LevelMatePRO digital Bluetooth leveling device for several years. Having broken three of the Andersen levelers in as many years...

Hoping you could shed some light on how you've broken 3 of the Andersen Levers? I'm certainly not doubting what you are saying, just curious if there was something you've done that we all could learn from to hopefully avoid the same?

Is your loaded RV extremely heavy, trying to level on very uneven/rigid ground?

Not going to assume your currently listed 2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS trailer is what broke them... but maybe so? The darn things seem very solid and I would never have thought they could be broken, but live and learn.

Thanks!

Yes I too would be interested to know how you broke three sets of the AndersEn levelers. I've had them for 5 years and they have been wonderful on both my 9,500 pound travel trailer and now with my 10,000 pound 5th wheel. Other than a few scratches from laying on gravel sites, they have no damage to them.

Yes - our current GD Reflection is what broke them (13,980 across the scales with 3,000 of that on the pin - so 10,980 divided among the four wheels.

In the first two instances, there were larger rocks - perhaps a couple of inches in diameter - hidden under soft soil. This resulted in a large portion of the weight being put in one spot on the leveler causing the breakage. This last time, we were trying to set up on a very unlevel, uneven site in the rain. We ended up moving to another site (couldn't get level enough on our assigned site). I was in a hurry and didn't take the time to examine the ground where the leveler broke... I was just pi$$ed, tired, and in a hurry. None of the breakage events happened on surfaced (asphalt or concrete) sites.

The new levelers are heavier and the plastic/resin appears to be of a different type. I'm hoping for better luck (and I plan on being more careful in the future!).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
We've used the Andersen (it's spelled with an 'e') levelers and a LevelMatePRO digital Bluetooth leveling device for several years. Having broken three of the Andersen levelers in as many years...

Hoping you could shed some light on how you've broken 3 of the Andersen Levers? I'm certainly not doubting what you are saying, just curious if there was something you've done that we all could learn from to hopefully avoid the same?

Is your loaded RV extremely heavy, trying to level on very uneven/rigid ground?

Not going to assume your currently listed 2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS trailer is what broke them... but maybe so? The darn things seem very solid and I would never have thought they could be broken, but live and learn.

Thanks!

Yes I too would be interested to know how you broke three sets of the AndersEn levelers. I've had them for 5 years and they have been wonderful on both my 9,500 pound travel trailer and now with my 10,000 pound 5th wheel. Other than a few scratches from laying on gravel sites, they have no damage to them.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
23 years of pulling fifth wheels! When we started I had 2 8ft 2x6s. Cut on on the diagonal ( to make two triangles. screwed the second onto the two triangle pieces to make a *ft (nominal) ramp. Leveler on the pin box, in view of rear view mirror told me which side was low. Place the ramp behind that wheel pair and backed on until the leveler said stop. Blocked the trailer up and set it up for easy living!!

What you got now?
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
23 years of pulling fifth wheels! When we started I had 2 8ft 2x6s. Cut on on the diagonal ( to make two triangles. screwed the second onto the two triangle pieces to make a *ft (nominal) ramp. Leveler on the pin box, in view of rear view mirror told me which side was low. Place the ramp behind that wheel pair and backed on until the leveler said stop. Blocked the trailer up and set it up for easy living!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:
We continue to use the boards because they can be relied upon to support the entire footprint of the tires which the narrower plastic ones may not.

X2 I may be old school but a small assortment of boards works fine for me. I store them in a storage box that fits easily in the front compartment. They have lasted for years and when they start to crack I just cut a couple of new boards from scraps I get from Home Depot or Lowes. I even have a set of double thick boards I need at a certain state campground. I tried the yellow plastic blocks and they have broken and not held up.