cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure Monitoring System for FW

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
So, the $800 option that I purchased from Ford for the new integrated TPMS and camera, doesn't work for my fifth wheel (at least the TPMS doesn't; haven't tried the camera). Apparently, the wheels that I have, Hi-Spec Series 03 17.5 HD, have a hole for the valve stem that is too wide and deep for the Ford TPMS and although the engineers at Hi-Spec insist that with a little inginuity, using parts from both, I could make it work, I can't.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a high quality TPMS, preferably dedicated to just the fifth wheel, that they have good experience with? My truck already has the TPMS for all six wheel, but now what I thought would work, won't, so I'm looking for options. I know there are many options out there, but I would prefer not to have a display for a truck and a trailer that only uses the trailer portion. I was hoping to find a dedicated two axle TPMS that is good up to 125 PSI (I run Goodyear G114s on my unit).

If someone knows of a quality manufacturer with good experience, please let me know. The coach is just shy of 40', double axle and the truck is 2022 F350 Platinum dually. And just to make it that much more of a challenge, if the valve stem adapter has the ability to add air without removal, that would be even better!

I know, I am asking for the world here, but perhaps one exists that I just haven't found yet. Look forward to hearing from folks with real world experience.

Scott
2022 Ford F-350 LWB DRW PSD Platinum
2012 Hitchhiker Champagne 36LKRSB
12 REPLIES 12

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
My 2022 Chevrolet had a $50 TPMS option. I had the same problem as you with the hole in the wheel being to big. New wheels cost ne $600.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
scottandgaye wrote:
I could do that. I could probably find any number of 12 volt circuits in and around the converter that I could use. I just don't want any parasitic load on the unit.
Scott

My Pressure Pro system's repeater has an end that plugs in to a 12volt outlet that we have in the bedroom closet. Easy to plug in before a trip and unplug at a campsite. It will pick up the signals from the trailer tires and the boat trailer behind it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
scottandgaye wrote:
I could probably find any number of 12 volt circuits in and around the converter that I could use.
My repeater sits in the refer compartment because it's directly above the wheels and it's a handy place to put it... and the 12v supply is there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
I could do that. I could probably find any number of 12 volt circuits in and around the converter that I could use. I just don't want any parasitic load on the unit. We dry camp a lot and even though it's in the milliamp range, I prefer to have complete control over what is being fed by my batteries. One more thing that drives my wife nuts!

Scott

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I power the repeater with the refer 12v power. It's a very small load and it's never off.

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
Well, many thanks to everyone who responded. I think it is terribly unfortunate that the Ford option does not fit, but I could only go off of what Hi-Spec told me and it's possible that the sensor had some mild re-design for 2022 (give them the benefit of the doubt).

I decided to try out the TireMinder i10 with 4 non-flow through sensors. I plan to tap into power for the repeater that comes with it off of one of the front or side marker lights. The reason being, I always drive with my lights on when towing for safety and I don't want a parasitic draw on my batteries when it is not in use, even if I could put in a simple on/off switch. I'm thinking (and I talked to NuWa about this today) that the center marker light on the top front of the coach has a direct shot into the front closet (if I drill carefully) to run a small power cable through. That would be about halfway between the tires and the display unit.

Will let you guys know how it goes. Again, thanks for the suggestions. I do appreciate all the responses.

Scott

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
The TST system has been on every RV I have owned since 2004, upgraded a few times now with the color monitor. They supply the booster with a purchase and it will greatly enhance the signal to the receiver. Your 125 psi tires will go well over that when they get hot, so if you only buy a system that has a high reading of 125 psi your going to be very upset with the loud alarm going off all the time. I have owned both senders, the ones that flow through and the caps, prefer the cap style for ease of use and they sit closer to the wheel. Best of luck with whatever system you choose.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I currently use the TST 507 and have had it for a few years. I purchased the repeater and placed it in my 5ver's front basement. I no longer have any dropouts. I power it directly off the rig's 12V battery. I just have to connect/disconnect the power, which is part of our checklist.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
TST works very well. It has saved me more than a few times from leaky valve stems to nails in the tires. Cheap insurance to keep you going.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I've had TST and Tireminder pro. I like the Timreminder better. Had a lot of issues with the TST dropping signals.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
scottandgaye wrote:
if the valve stem adapter has the ability to add air without removal, that would be even better!
I've had the EEZTire system for about 10 years. 6 on the truck and 4 on the 5er. Bought the repeater also.

I need to add air so infrequently that it's no big deal to remove them as needed, just as you would a regular valve stem cap. The anti-theft gadget on the sensors was a real pain, so I got rid of them. I figured these things aren't big targets for thieves. Mine also have temperature sensing, which I find as important as air pressure.

I have the same wheels and tires on my fifth wheel... I also ordered my truck with that option and ended up selling it online and used the money to buy the TST507.

You are correct, the valve stem holes on our wheels will NOT allow the Ford factory stems to work. I wish I had known that when ordering, but at least I got MOST of my cash back..

They offer 2 types of stem covers, 1 allows you to fill while the cp is still on, and the other has to be removed to add air..

Techno RV Site
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet