cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Then what?

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
So most governments have set a time line when the end of the internal combustion engine Must occur,

(Moderator comment: Political comments removed)

So then what?
Does anyone honestly think there will be an affordable Electric truck that can pull 10 to 15 thousand pound for 250 or more miles on a single charge?
Will we have to outfit our trailers with batteries to provide a boost for the truck doing the pulling? Or will the average middle class joe have to go back to tent camping?
Will there be aux battery packs that we can drop into the truck bed and tie down and plug in for extra mileage, and then take back out so we are not toting around the unnecessary weight when not towing

What's your thoughts on the future changes coming?
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.
99 REPLIES 99

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Autonomous driving isnโ€™t actually a good thing either. If they can drive the vehicle without a driver why let people drive. Iโ€™ve watched some manufacturer presentations that talked about the future of transportation and itโ€™s not about individual vehicle ownership. Itโ€™s about subscription type services that fleets of vehicles to pick you up and drop you off. He said markets will open where companies specialize in interior replacement and cleaning Interior cameras will keep an eye on things and regular checks and cleaning will be done along with a type of high tech sanitary treatment between passengers.

People can think itโ€™s far fetched but in the green agenda itโ€™s far far more realistic than thinking that we are going to RV. Tell me one way that packing up and leaving your house to travel all over is green

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I,m 76 not going to worry about it. my future grand kids will talk about the old days. I remember 22.ct gas.

Gas wars. Remember those.

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
The energy density of a battery needs to about double for the 3/4 ton or one ton pickup to be competitive. Perhaps by 2032 or 2035 it will happen. There is worldwide research underway to do that.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,m 76 not going to worry about it. my future grand kids will talk about the old days. I remember 22.ct gas.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
ronharmless wrote:
Donโ€™t spend any time worrying about it. Ice is still going to be here 50 years from now; although it might be approaching 50/50 by then.

I doubt ford will make a gas half ton by 2035. 3/4 tons and 1 tons yes but I doubt theyโ€™ll be much of a market for a gas half ton by thenโ€ฆby any manufacturer.

Jmho.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are already finding that a consumer level truck wonโ€™t do the job when it comes to towing or hauling large objects. Ford is not ending ICE trucks. As more and more โ€œfactsโ€ come to light there will be changes to the currently mandates.

Plus, alternative fuels will become available that will prove electric vehicles are a bad idea for other than commuter/local usage. JMO.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
They donโ€™t intend on everyone driving. Donโ€™t call it a conspiracy theory, those have all been coming true. Did anyone notice the recent remarks about not charging your ev because of energy shortages

In the green agenda one of the last thing in the world Weโ€™ll be doing is driving off to sit somewhere else while your house sits there empty.

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t spend any time worrying about it. Ice is still going to be here 50 years from now; although it might be approaching 50/50 by then.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Companies are working on batteries that can handle longer trips and bigger loads.
Can't wait to see a Tesla semi-tractor. Better yet, be behind one on a grade.

If you can supply the power, electric beats ICE hands down in every way.

The problem is economically and physically storing that power.

So far, no major jumps in battery technology since the laptop battery. Tesla's solution isn't high tech it's just lots and lots of laptop batteries. Otherwise, it is the same technology as a golf cart.

For local commuter cars or local delivery vans, it's viable today. Reality is most trucks are local and don't run at max payload, so a big swath can be converted over.

As far the OP's question:

If it's not cost effective, expect them to keep pushing the dates out.

Even in an ideal world, most of these politically driven dates are 10yrs out. With modern vehicles having a 20yr lifespan, that's 30yrs out before the fleet will be mostly electric and they can think about eliminate gas stations and mechanics. I'm betting the vast majority of folks on this site are at least in their 80's by that time and no longer towing, so not really an issue for us.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that the time diesel become unaffordable, I will be too old the worry about it.

for about 9 month a year the coach is just a house.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Companies are working on batteries that can handle longer trips and bigger loads.

Look at the torque curve of a electric motor compared to the best ICE can do. Hill will reduce range a whole lot more than speed.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
SuperBus wrote:
By the way, who is still using a 110 VAC drill?
My small bench top drill press is 120V. As is my hedge trimmer which I'm now tripping over it's cord laying on the floor - going to use it any day now...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
There is no viable alternative to ICE NOW
If you're talking about pulling a 5th wheel, no. If you're talking about a short daily commute and you can charge at home, they're perfect.

I'm talking about how technology has always evolved.
If a EV had been available for near the price I paid when I bought my last car, I would of bought one (For a couple years before I had been commuting most days on electric bicycle) Now I don't plan to drive/live past the life of the vehicles I have now.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
relaxin wrote:
Does anyone honestly think there will be an affordable Electric truck that can pull 10 to 15 thousand pound for 250 or more miles on a single charge?
Many say the new diesels are not affordable now. Some are $100k+

Otherwise: https://www.tesla.com/semi Maybe opt for the smaller 300 mile range. This may not be the solution for you right now as much as it shows what is possible. They are coming.

Or just keep driving what you have or buy something used.