cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tail gate on or off?

bkutsi
Explorer
Explorer
New to 5th wheeler traveling and I was wondering if we are supposed to keep our tail gate on or off and the reasons for the answer. ๐Ÿ™‚
19 REPLIES 19

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bkutsi wrote:
New to 5th wheeler traveling and I was wondering if we are supposed to keep our tail gate on or off and the reasons for the answer. ๐Ÿ™‚

You're "supposed" to do whatever floats your boat. :B No "rule" about this. Personally, I leave my OEM gate on for the majority of my towing, mostly because it's a bit of a pain to change to my v-gate. Now, when I go on longer trips, I definitely use the v-gate, but I never don't go without one or the other, in place. The v-gate =does= reduce in-bed turbulence, so it does make for a bit more comfort while towing, as well as the ease of hitching/unhitching. Not nearly as handy if you need to use the tailgate while camping, though it can be done. I often have water jugs on the gate while boondocking to 1) keep people out of my FW and 2) reduce water use from my tank.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the "leave it off" camp. One forgetful moment and it is a $1000 mistake. Without it you don't need a plug in the bed, use the one on the bumper.

Your rig, your choice.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Go ahead and order a notched tailgate. One of the best things you will buy for the new trailer.

Really it is easy for even an old man (with an old assistant) to switch out the tailgates at the end of the season or if we are going to be home for a month or more.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
. . .
Also, we bought our truck used and the previous owner didn't use a notched tailgate and you could see the results in the trashed tailgate.

And they didn't know how to hook-up!

Mistakes are made ,and nothing to do with knowing how or not knowing how. We are human ,and WE make mistakes. Well some of us do. :R

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine stays off. Easier with less worry and bother. Added a cheap cargo net but I often do not even bother with that.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Always took mine off. Much easier to hookup. Left it off until I was done for the season.
Now with my new truck I went with the V tailgate. Best thing since sliced bread.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
. . .
Also, we bought our truck used and the previous owner didn't use a notched tailgate and you could see the results in the trashed tailgate.

And they didn't know how to hook-up!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The regular tailgate means you have two more things to remember to do while unhooking and hooking up: lower the tailgate and raise the tailgate. With our truck and 5th wheel we don't have room to lower the tailgate if the 5th wheel is at an angle to the truck, so the notched tailgate means we don't have to mess with that...ever. Works for us.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a V notch tail gate as well. Want items I carry to stay in the bed.

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer has a short pin box, I went with a V gate for convenience. It was a pita to back until the pin touched the hitch, get out, close the gate, get in and finsh hooking up. Then go through pulling ahead a bit and opening the gate to unhook. I don't worry about somebody stealing a couple of old lawn chairs when unhooked so no tonneau.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another with a โ€œVโ€ style tailgate, less turbulence, no need to open or close.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stayed on in the olden days.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Another one here that keeps it on.. I personally like the stuff in my bed to stay in the bed while driving.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet