cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swaping out a hitch question

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Currently I have a Pullrite 4400 18K fifth wheel hitch. I would like to swap it out for a B&W Patriot 18K sliding hitch. Question, will the rails I have now in the bed of my truck fit the Patriot hitch?
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
18 REPLIES 18

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Once the Pullrite is hitched it is a great hitch. Its the hitching and unhitching that is the problem."

ZACTLY!!!

Agree,

I had one a few years back. Sometimes it was very aggravating trying to hook up and unhook.

I now have the B&W companion slider, much easier hitch to work with. Going on my 4th year with it and have yet to use the slider. It may change now though we have a new 5er and we have only been out twice with it. So still don't know if we will ever use the slider.

I saw pretty much first hand how aggravating the Superglide was from my friend.

One of the reasons I had no hesitation going to the Andersen, no real need for the slider, after towing three different fifth wheels, with two different trucks, and 12 years.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Once the Pullrite is hitched it is a great hitch. Its the hitching and unhitching that is the problem."

ZACTLY!!!

Agree,

I had one a few years back. Sometimes it was very aggravating trying to hook up and unhook.

I now have the B&W companion slider, much easier hitch to work with. Going on my 4th year with it and have yet to use the slider. It may change now though we have a new 5er and we have only been out twice with it. So still don't know if we will ever use the slider.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Former neighbor had a saying: "Work Smarter, Not Harder". Change it up some in this case: "Tow Smarter, Not Harder"
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I had a Super Glide in my last truck. I understand your concerns but for me it wasn't that big of a deal. In a real difficult situation you can always pull the two pins that hold the head in place and leave it attached to the pin box. I now have a B&W Patriot with a long box truck and admit it is easier to use, but there just isn't a substitute for an auto-slide hitch if you need one.

B.O.

I have lived with the Pullrite hitch for over a year and admit that once you are hooked up it is a great hitch. It makes backing into a tight site much easier. On the other hand I am at the age {77}that I don't like surprises and prefer things to be a little more straight forward, don't deal well with stressful situations as well as I used too. So I am going to make my life simpler and get rid of the Pullrite hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Super Glide in my last truck. I understand your concerns but for me it wasn't that big of a deal. In a real difficult situation you can always pull the two pins that hold the head in place and leave it attached to the pin box. I now have a B&W Patriot with a long box truck and admit it is easier to use, but there just isn't a substitute for an auto-slide hitch if you need one.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

ZACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
The Patriot fits standard rails. I know as I had Reese rails on last truck. B&W on current truck, oh and Patriot too.

Big problem with him having the Pullrite , most likely he does not have the standard rails, he has those Pullrite rails.

If anyone does a little research, and sees that its not a big issue if someone wants to go to Pullrite and has standard rails, then there is a Pullrite adapter to use with the 4400, or better yet go to the industry standard Superglide thats fits the standard rails, thats what a friend did. Then when he got tired of the headache of hitching , and unhitching with the Superglide, he ended all his problems with the Andersen hitch that fits the standard rails.

We all know how great the B&W is , how could we not with the fan club here, but the Andersen sure ends a lot of problems with those heavy hitches.

I know there has been some issues with the aluminum version of the Andersen, but after some redesign ,that seems to be a thing of the past, as far as the steel version, there NEVER has been as issue.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Why would want to trade out a auto-slide hitch for one that is a manual slide? Just wondering.

B.O.

Once the Pullrite is hitched it is a great hitch. Its the hitching and unhitching that is the problem. I have been in situations where I could not hookup because the camper was not level. I have been in situations where I could not unhook because it was on an incline. Whenever I go to some place I haven't been before I worry before I get there if I will have problems unhooking or getting hooked back up It takes all the joy out of going somewhere. Before releasing the camper you have to back into the hitch to take the pressure off the jaws of the hitch and then you can release the jaws. Sometimes if you are at an angle it won't release. I have had the hitch for over a year and have had enough of its temple mental nature so I am going back to what is simple and straight forward. If you would like to buy this hitch I will be glad to sell it to you.

Exactly why my friend got rid of his Superglide. You won't be too crazy about a manual slider either, but we all have to live ,and learn.

As said in my previous post ,you are most likely looking at a whole new setup ,rails ,adapter ,or whatever. I will repeat the steel version of the Andersen hitch connected to the standard rails is a great alternative to the heavy slider hitches.

The friend that got rid of his Superglide, and went to the Andersen has two things in common with you. A newer Montana fifth wheel ,and a Ford Superduty shortbed , and has no issues with cab clearance , which was a concern for him, big reason he went first with the Superglide.

I have the Ram shortbed ,my bed is about 6 inches shorter then his, and I don't have any concerns with my Andersen as far as clearance. Backing my fifth wheel into my driveway is as sharp as I have ever had to back, and the Andersen is not a problem.

You may have eliminated the Andersen as an option, but if not, I would suggest you look into one, and save yourself some headaches with those slider hitches.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Why would want to trade out a auto-slide hitch for one that is a manual slide? Just wondering.

B.O.

Once the Pullrite is hitched it is a great hitch. Its the hitching and unhitching that is the problem. I have been in situations where I could not hookup because the camper was not level. I have been in situations where I could not unhook because it was on an incline. Whenever I go to some place I haven't been before I worry before I get there if I will have problems unhooking or getting hooked back up It takes all the joy out of going somewhere. Before releasing the camper you have to back into the hitch to take the pressure off the jaws of the hitch and then you can release the jaws. Sometimes if you are at an angle it won't release. I have had the hitch for over a year and have had enough of its temple mental nature so I am going back to what is simple and straight forward. If you would like to buy this hitch I will be glad to sell it to you.

Wife Sue

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
The Patriot fits standard rails. I know as I had Reese rails on last truck. B&W on current truck, oh and Patriot too.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't have hitching issues for one.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

Had the same question, but after having a manual slider ,and going to the Andersen, I want no part of any kind of conventional hitch., fixed, manual or automatic.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
After a further search there is an adapter that fits the standard rails to allow your 4400 to mount to the standard rails , if that is your setup ,then you have standard rails, and the Patriot will work, if not , you are looking at new rails.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS