cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use? I'm looking into Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector - 50 Amp ($335 on Amazon).

How much difference is there between the expensive brands and the less expensive brands (Portable Surge Guard Protectors, 50 amp - $78)?

Signed, electricity knowledge-deficient camper
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!
20 REPLIES 20

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Hughes power watch dog portable over progressive industries for two by reasons. One is itโ€™s less expensive and two, if you have a surge that trips it, you can buy and replace the board inside where the progressive model requires you to replace the entire unit.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used PD units but on the new Rig I went with a Hughes Watchdog. Progressive makes a quality product but Hughes has some advantages.

It has bluetooth app which is handy to alert when it disconnects from shore and also allows me to see where power is being used between legs of power. This is helpful to see what use and voltage is on each leg.

I went hard wired as I don't need to worry about theft or extra moves hooking up as well as extra friction electrical connections. (plugs) that aren't always great electrical connections. I mounted it in with the rest of the equipment.

In the last year it has disconnected power twice due to under and over voltage conditions. Each time giving me an alert on my phone. Each time being an unsafe condition from the parks electrical.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries.

You can't buy the parts to run all the different tests a PI EMS does for what they cost.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
TXiceman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I always check the voltage under load before I plug in.

How do you check under load before you plug in Unless you have load cell?

Ken

Since I am in a 30 amp RV, I made a 30 amp to 20 amp box, with 4 outlets. That allows me to plug in two high draw items. For example a hair drier, or the like. I plug in a kill-o-watt meter set for voltage. in another of the 4 outlets.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

How do you check under load before you plug in Unless you have load cell?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Check w/ Tweety's as well for price. Bought the EMS 50 last year (unit still in storage, but think it's same as being mentioned). Very well built unit and really like the features. Also bought a cable lock yo secure it to the power pole. Bit overboard perhaps, but should keep the 300 bucks spent safe.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I have the pt50x and am happy with it. I feel it is worth the peace of mind.

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries produces a high quality product. I have a build in/hardwired one.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW 50 that is a bit over ten years old. Started acting weird late last summer. Would take 5 to 20 minutes to start scan told him one issue - no receipt! He said OK, plan B, I'll send you a new circuit board! He sent free circuit board, I installed, works fine!

BTW these units are much more than a simple surge guard. They protect against a lot more issues than just a power surge.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
With 30amp service a portable one is ok. With 50amp service a hard wired one in much better. If you loose neutral on a 50amp circuit you burn up all the AC items with 240 volts across them. Hard wired just ahead of the circuit panel protects you from problems with the power cord and cord reel if you have one.

PI with remote is the way to go.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Go whole hog or measure before you plug in for 50 amp service.
Regards, Don

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
get one that reset itself. not one that has to be sent back to get reset

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you from personal experience the customer service at Progressive Industries is top notch. Had a minor issue with a 30 amp unit and they sent new parts out fast and gave advise on how to best install them.