cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestions on models

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to "upgrade" my RV. I would really like a fifth wheel because of the ease of handling and maneuverability. My TV is a 2003 Super duty with the 6.0 diesel. Its a diesel but with it's age it's towing capacity is only 12,500lbs. I am having trouble finding 5er's under that weight that aren't designed as 1/2ton towable. My issue with 1/2 ton 5ers is I'm 6'2" tall and they all seem to have very low ceiling heights in the bedroom. Does anyone have any suggestions for a model within my tow specs that has a full height ceiling up front?
9 REPLIES 9

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Our Grand Design 290BH has about 6’-6” or maybe 6’-8” max height in the bedroom, except for the step right near the bed. So basically, you can maneuver around around the BR just fine, but have to crouch right before getting in the bed. I’m 6’-3” and this is no problem at all. Our rig is marketed as a 1/2 ton towable, but it runs up into the 11K range when loaded.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
SUMRX4 wrote:
I am looking to "upgrade" my RV. I would really like a fifth wheel because of the ease of handling and maneuverability. My TV is a 2003 Super duty with the 6.0 diesel. Its a diesel but with it's age it's towing capacity is only 12,500lbs. I am having trouble finding 5er's under that weight that aren't designed as 1/2ton towable. My issue with 1/2 ton 5ers is I'm 6'2" tall and they all seem to have very low ceiling heights in the bedroom. Does anyone have any suggestions for a model within my tow specs that has a full height ceiling up front?

As usual, it's not the towing capacity, it's the PAYLOAD that's the limiting factor.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Some Montana High Country models would be in your range. My 305 RL is in the 12,500 loaded range and pulls easily with my 2013 Ram 2500diesel

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
Our Jayco HT has a 74" bedroom height. I'm also 6'2" and have no problem with it. Maybe I just got use to our old 5er we had for 17 years that was way lower.

Apparently different models/years are built different. I was in an HT a couple weeks back and while it was higher than some others I had looked at it wasn't tall enough for me to comfortable.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
1/2 ton towable is a marketing term that has nothing to do with actual weights and sizes. Plus 12k is beyond 1/2ton trucks.

Our current 5er is GVWR around 12k lb. I think it's considered mid-height for the bedroom. I'm also 6'2" and just fit...but in the main living area, I can't even touch the ceiling.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
SUMRX4 wrote:

I'm 6'3" and had no problem with the bedroom in the Cougar half ton we looked at. Brochure says 7' ceiling but if I remember correctly that's max height in the bedroom.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jayco HT has a 74" bedroom height. I'm also 6'2" and have no problem with it. Maybe I just got use to our old 5er we had for 17 years that was way lower.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
A fiver approaching 12,000# is not 'half ton towable', I don't care what anyone says. I feel your pain though, at 6' I am cramped for space in the nose too.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The term you are looking for in your search is "Full Profile" Fifth Wheel. "Full Profile" will give you the 6 (plus) foot front you are looking for. Sorry, I cannot give you anything specific on a make/model/year that would have a full profile front and still be 1/2 ton towable.