cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stupid mistake

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Well,today I made a careless mistake and messed up my truck dropping my new 5th wheel. Everything was unhooked, landing gear down, so I attempted to pull my truck out from under the trailer. The only problem was that I forgot to lower the tailgate and the pinbox smashed it up pretty bad when I pulled forward. @#&$(&^!#$ !!! Obviously, I'm a little PO'd at myself for being so careless. I bet I won't do it again though.
70 REPLIES 70

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a close call a couple years back. For some reason I removed the wheel chocks before hooking up the fifth wheel. When I backed in and the hitch made contact with the pin the trailer rolled back. It stopped just in time before the landing legs come off the blocks they were on. I was a trucker for many years and should have known better. I was lucky.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Tango, AE7UI wrote:
My question is why even use the tailgate?
I have a service body on my truck and has a drop in "tailboard". It stays home when I use the fifth wheel.
Never needed the "board" when traveling and no trailer.
Well, believe it or not some of us actually use the bed of the truck to carry things. I know that seems odd, but it's true. That tailgate keeps things in the bed.

x2. I do have a v-gate and it =really= helps reduce the turbulence in the bed when I'm hitched up. I've lost wheel chocks on a fairly short drive, and these weren't the really cheap ones, either. I've had a 2' 2x4 "float" around the bed, too. =That= got me pulling over FAST! Much, much better with the louvered gate, for sure.

Lyle

The "service body" is a different "situation".

To add to what Lyle said - for *pickups* (with a "factory" bed/box),
the "V" gate is also the "normal" tailgate when not towing.

I can see/watch the pin in rearview mirror when hitching....."Field goal" in the "V" - and/or adjust height as needed

Any one of the various bed covers - and a section for the "V", can't be beat for everyday use.

BTW that section for the "V" is my "removable board"..:W

:C

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Tango, AE7UI wrote:
I have a service body on my truck and has a drop in "tailboard". It stays home when I use the fifth wheel.
Well, believe it or not some of us actually use the bed of the truck to carry things. I know that seems odd, but it's true. That tailgate keeps things in the bed.

x2. I do have a v-gate and it =really= helps reduce the turbulence in the bed when I'm hitched up. I've lost wheel chocks on a fairly short drive, and these weren't the really cheap ones, either. I've had a 2' 2x4 "float" around the bed, too. =That= got me pulling over FAST! Much, much better with the louvered gate, for sure.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tango, AE7UI wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Jetstreamer wrote:
Gotta have a notched fifth wheel tailgate ......it's just simply way too easy to forget....bought mine years ago and it's just a no brainer.

Did that first thing when I got a 5th wheel. The brand new OEM tailgate is in storage. BUT

It's not a fix all. Under certain circumstances you can hit the notched tailgate. Believe me I've hit it both ways. Second time evened out the bow from the first time. HINT: When you un-hitch let the air out of the airbags before pulling out.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:

4. There aren't enough cuss words for some situations.

LOL :B :B Let me hear a big AMEN!!!!!!
2016 Sprinter 269FWRLS 33' 5th-wheel
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew-Cab
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M
Amateur "General Class" WD9GLK

tunatundra
Explorer
Explorer
Let's make this a sticky stay around. Leave it "stupid mistakes" or make it
"What did you break this time?" Great reading, informative and fun for the readers not so much for the doers.
Rusty & Lana
2017 Cougar 333MKS
2016 F250 Diesel

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to disconnect trailer cable from back of truck bed when pulling away. Had to replace the trucks socket but the trailers connector/cable was fine.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Pilots call it sterile cockpit. No discussion that does not pertain to take off or landing. Politely explain that there will be no discussion that is not part of hooking or unhooking. Do it the same way every time. If there is a distraction, start over.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta have a notched fifth wheel tailgate ......it's just simply way too easy to forget....bought mine years ago and it's just a no brainer.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Hotpepperkid... That's what we do, She checks me, I check her. A couple of times forgot a door open, coffee pot left out etc. I guess teamwork works well lol. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use a check list but I do things in the same order every time and DO NOT talk to me while Im doing it. My wife comes along after Im done to check. I do the same thing to her after she secures every thing inside.
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"Anyway, it's back to normal, and I doubt if I ever will do that again!"

Tow long enough, and unhook/hook up often and you'll do it again. 🙂 Only a question of when. Murphy is always waiting in the wings. 🙂

LOL...all five of my service trucks pulling GN and 5th wheel trailers commercially had the crapz beat out of the bed and tailgates from myself and my drivers. When you log 60k-80k miles a year doing this type work it happens.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides