cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

storing power cord on new f'ver

sele
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new2019 Coachmen chaparral 285RLS. The power cord is detachable and can be stored in the pass through compartment. We are wondering what everybody is using for some type of either container or cord reel.

Thanks for all the help.
scott
57 REPLIES 57

tartan_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a manual air hose reel from Harbor Freight ($20.00), mounted it to a piece of 1 x 6 lumber and roll my BIG 50A cord on it, then store it inside the basement. I have a couple of small bungee cords that hold the end of the cord in place while I roll it up. A lot cheaper than an electric reel and it works very well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=hose%20reel
Backpack to fiver...and everything in between. What a life!
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax, Allison 6-speed
18k Superglide

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I simply push up or down on my rocker switch to extend or retrieve my factory built in SO cord. I also have a separate one as pictured if needed that coils into a small circle that fits into whatever nook or cranny available.

I am jealous Ron, After five years of having the electric cord reel the new Redwood does not have one. The folks in engineering simply said there was nowhere in the back end of the trailer to place one, so Iโ€™m back to the anaconda ....

I still have all of the information that you have posted over the years about making your own flexible cord, thatโ€™s on my short to do list

It is a great improvement, we currently full time, BUT we also vacation without the RV. We do like Cruising, so we need to store 5er for a time with everything stored in it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98 wrote:
I simply push up or down on my rocker switch to extend or retrieve my factory built in SO cord. I also have a separate one as pictured if needed that coils into a small circle that fits into whatever nook or cranny available.

I am jealous Ron, After five years of having the electric cord reel the new Redwood does not have one. The folks in engineering simply said there was nowhere in the back end of the trailer to place one, so Iโ€™m back to the anaconda ....

I still have all of the information that you have posted over the years about making your own flexible cord, thatโ€™s on my short to do list
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a easy spool-er made by MorRyde, best investment I ever made ๐Ÿ™‚

http://www.morryde.com/products/118-easy-reel-spooler tall?return=%2Fproducts

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
I grab one end of the cord....then the other...drag those to the storage and place the ends in the compartment first...then pile the rest on top. Always the last in and first out. Works for me ๐Ÿ™‚

I take the post end with the EMS-PT50 attached and make about 4 large coils on top of the other stuff. Wipe or dry as I coil. Last in first out!
We also now have a cord with a 45 degree angle on the trailer end plug.
Conntek Heavy Duty 50 Amp RV Power Cord
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Learjet wrote:
I grab one end of the cord....then the other...drag those to the storage and place the ends in the compartment first...then pile the rest on top. Always the last in and first out. Works for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Funny but that is basically what I do. I just put the cord in last on top of everything else. No need to coil it or spool it or put in a bucket! It's not that complicated.
Just toss it on top at the end of a trip and pull it out 1st at the beginning of a trip
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RollandB wrote:
I have a 50 amp SO cord I easily for iinto a milk crate along with adapters and other things occasionally needed for connecting power. On top of those are wheel chocks that goes down first.

Thanks Again!
Russ

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50 amp SO cord I easily for iinto a milk crate along with adapters and other things occasionally needed for connecting power. On top of those are wheel chocks that goes down first.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just an example off of AMAZON

50' 6/4 SOOW Wire Cord Cable Portable Power 6 Gauge 4 Conductor $165.94 Free Shipping
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
I like the 50 amp power reel on our Bighorn. Our little guy Laredo has 50 amp power and the cable is a pain. I have been thinking about removing the power reel on the Bighorn and installing on the Laredo now the Bighorn is permanently parked.

Chris

Hey Chris, you might talk to Ron, he could likely set you up with some SOOW cable.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the 50 amp power reel on our Bighorn. Our little guy Laredo has 50 amp power and the cable is a pain. I have been thinking about removing the power reel on the Bighorn and installing on the Laredo now the Bighorn is permanently parked.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Wanderer26
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you get these SOOW 50 amp cables

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone sell SOOW pre-made cables or do you have to make them yourself?
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed