cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Springs

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
We are at a Forrest River Rally in Elkhart and they have provided lots of repairs on all the units here. I was told that I have one spring that was flattened and a bad spring hanger, to have repairs done on Monday, replace all springs and hangers for around $550.00, has anyone here had issues like this.
We have a 2010 Cedar Creek and this will be the 4th year of use for this unit, I have heard of some recalls with axle issues on some Cedar Creek units just trying to find any info incase there are to lessen our out of pocket cost. Thanks for any info on this matter.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.
6 REPLIES 6

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
RV spring work is really easy. It doesn't sound like they are doing you much of a favor at $550. It wouldn't be too bad if they will put in better parts than the stuff that only lasted <4 years. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You can check here for parts. I bought complete replacements for new axles, lug nuts to the wheel seals and everything in between for 4 corners at around $350 last yr. Shipping cost might make it prohibitive for you.

Clicky
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I got a spring broken which did a lot of damage on the tire.got stock for hours waiting for repair.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Complete spring hanger area redesign & rebuild a couple years ago. Spring upgrade this year, going from 6 to 7 leaf. New shocks going on next month. Always something. Preventative stuff beats roadside failures any day of the week.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
$550 might seem like a lot, especially since the springs can be purchased for about $30 each. But the labor and related parts, (hangers, bushings, bolts, etc) probably makes up the difference. It would be nice if they could install wet bolts or better bushings; or at least grease the bolts going into the spring eyes.
Broken & weak springs are not that un-common, especially on heavier rigs such as you have. Maybe you could sweet talk them into installing 7,000# axles while they're at it if yours currently has 6,000# axles.
Good luck.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
We are at a Forrest River Rally in Elkhart and they have provided lots of repairs on all the units here. I was told that I have one spring that was flattened and a bad spring hanger, to have repairs done on Monday, replace all springs and hangers for around $550.00, has anyone here had issues like this.
We have a 2010 Cedar Creek and this will be the 4th year of use for this unit, I have heard of some recalls with axle issues on some Cedar Creek units just trying to find any info incase there are to lessen our out of pocket cost. Thanks for any info on this matter.

Have a 10 yr old Yellowstone.. one spring broke... all had shackle holes elongated due to plastic inserts failing,in less that 4 yrs. Upgraded to 3500 lbs springs, bronze bushings and wet bolts from E trailer... plastic inserts can fail very soon and cause the shackle holes to wear. Did the work myself for about half your quote... a very well done stickey on the travel trailer forum that shows this repair. Travel safe
HTML