cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somedays it dont pay

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
Left campground, stopped at 1st rest area to do usual check to see if everything ok. Found door to fridge open, contents all over floor, dozen eggs broken, a real mess. Smelled something hot, found lighter like plug on 12 volt crock pot real hot and about to catch fire, pulled plug, there goes dinner. Foot peddle broken off of toilet, now need to buy new toilet. After getting to campground, cable tv wouldn't work, got out tailgater for dish, hooked it up and the remote for the dish wouldn't work. All this in one day. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. LOL
19 REPLIES 19

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I've had my dish cabinet come open on 2 occasions and we lost a bowl and plate. Not too bad. Last year, even being =very= careful, the trailer rocked enough to pop the door on the MW and the glass plate fell out and shattered. The one that =really= pissed me off, though, was re-entry at the border on our way back from Rocky Pt., Mexico. US BP searched my trailer, but didn't shut the fridge door fully. Got home to stuff all over the floor and everything else spoiled. Called the station where we crossed and they couldn't have cared less; barely an apology. Yes, I =should= have checked all doors after, but I figured these so-called "professionals" knew what they were doing and would do it correctly.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all have those days. My worst was in 2009. Had to stop in Laramie, WY. for an emergency trailer repair. $400. An hour later lost the trailer to a blowover on Elk Mtn pass. Scat happens.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure as but I went out for 2 weeks and the awning adjustment handle broke had to Manuel adjust awning one hole at at a time going up and down due to storms rolling in..... water pump kept leaking had to fill twice ... and then thankfully awning bracket (bottom) broke off as I was parking the TT in storage ?? But it's mine and still good at 20 years young. Once the weather warms I'll get things fixed and off to camp some more.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
traindriver1 wrote:
I am from Illinois. That's the reason I am here. Here you shovel sunshine,not snow.

I actually saw that you were a fellow Illinoisan. I thought I’d give you an extra reason to enjoy that sunshine while you recover from the broken egg “shell shock.” 🙂
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
I am from Illinois. That's the reason I am here. Here you shovel sunshine,not snow.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Any day that you survive is a good day. Many there are who didn't survive that particular day.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
traindriver1 wrote:
Actually been a good winter so far. Been to Arizona for a month and a half, California for a few days, and now on our way back to the Gulf Coast of Texas that we enjoy so much.

Swing through Illinois on your way to Texas and you can help shovel some snow.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
A bad day camping still beats a good day at work
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It was nothing a case of beer wouldn't cure. :B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've had cabinet doors come open in transit before. Had the refrigerator door come open too. No eggs on the floor, and fortunately, we had 1/2 gallon milk jugs in the door, not the shelf. Still, was a mess.

We consistently use bungie cords on all the cabinet doors now, and I found a way to put a small bungie on the refrigerator too. And now the rule of thumb is... never leave home without it! (the bungies in place).

Sometimes, thing just happen. How we handle life's unexpected events is the true test of our character. Frustrating as it may be, sounds like you passed this "one" with good graces! Congrats! Strike another experience under your belt!

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Had went to put new tires on the rig... when they were finished, went to start truck, it wouldn't start... one of the oil pumps went out... after having it checked fount that 2 of the cams were bad... $ 3,000.00 Later never did get to go camping!!!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
we forgot to lock the frig and DW had a full bowl of bean salad in there and it was wearing the floor. took us a while to get the stickiness off the floor. the other two things haven't happened to us yet

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
.Hey at Least you made it TO the campground ,I have had worst days like having my truck break down because of a stupid $30.00 trans cooler line with the 40 ft 5er and waiting for a tow truck for 8 hours on busy Hwy 101 in Oregon Now That day SUCKED:(
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Let me guess it was a Thetford Aqua- magic toilet that the pedal broke off from and why would I know that:@ do yourself a favor and replace it with a Dometic 320 or 310
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner