cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoke detector goes off in middle of night

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
We have a brand new 2017 Montana High Country 5th Wheel- several times our hallway smoke alarm went off for no reason. Yes its been humid this summer here on Long Island, but what would cause this? Does It need to be replaced? New batteries? Bugs?
23 REPLIES 23

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

As I just said, it's a new rig, why not get the dealer or Montana to replace it under warranty? A replacement may be slightly different if a lot of people are reporting the same issue.

Lyle

I would but my dealer is over 3 hours away from me and I was waiting on other things to come up to make the trip worthwhile. So far nothing else has come up that I couldn't handle.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dpgllg wrote:
Merrykalia wrote:
Friends have a 2015 fifth wheel and theirs is VERY sensitive to humidity. It will go off if you open the front door and leave it open for several seconds, like for carrying in/out dinner plates, etc. They cannot figure out how to address it other than to just ignore it and keep the doors closed.

On our brand new unit we have had the same issue. It appears to be the humidity as it would go off every time we opened the door or a window. I don't have a solution for it yet but will be following this thread to see what your outcome may be.

Dave

As I just said, it's a new rig, why not get the dealer or Montana to replace it under warranty? A replacement may be slightly different if a lot of people are reporting the same issue.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
LIGirlatheart wrote:
We have a brand new 2017 Montana High Country 5th Wheel- several times our hallway smoke alarm went off for no reason. Yes its been humid this summer here on Long Island, but what would cause this? Does It need to be replaced? New batteries? Bugs?

I know it's an easy change, but I'd be hammering the dealer or Montana for a new one under warranty.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
I would venture to say that you have photoelectric smoke detectors and that when installed they had accumulated dust or there is moisture on where the light source enters.

Here is a link to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) on the difference between smoke detectors and how they work.
Clicky
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
Friends have a 2015 fifth wheel and theirs is VERY sensitive to humidity. It will go off if you open the front door and leave it open for several seconds, like for carrying in/out dinner plates, etc. They cannot figure out how to address it other than to just ignore it and keep the doors closed.

On our brand new unit we have had the same issue. It appears to be the humidity as it would go off every time we opened the door or a window. I don't have a solution for it yet but will be following this thread to see what your outcome may be.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The American Red Cross came to our summer park and install free smoke detectors with ten year batteries. We turned it down last year, however this year we got two and put the old ones in our sheds(2).

Contact them and see if they have this going in your area. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Most Aerosoles use butane or propane as a propellant.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
they are also very sensitive to perfumes and scents, like hair spray, or even body/hand lotion.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
humblerb wrote:
FLY 4 FUN has the right idea. They are very inexpensive. Just replace it with a new one.
I agree with this as well. In fact I upgrade fire/smoke/co2 alarm and put in a better fire extinguisher from day one.

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
FLY 4 FUN has the right idea. They are very inexpensive. Just replace it with a new one.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Most smoke detectors have a 5 year lifespan (date of mfg is on unit). If that's not the case then I would just swap in a new one as they are inexpensive but very important to have a working one (or more).
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
I had issues with the CO2 sensor since new. Never the fire alarm. Finally had to disconnect.

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
ยท2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
ยท2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just a smoke alarm or also a CO2 sensor?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Are your windows open if so any campfires near by? If so wind blowing smoke in the trailer will set it off. Has happened to me several times
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "