cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slight shock

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor just purchased a new ( used ) fifth wheel..

When he was inspecting it at home, he received a slight "shock" when touching the lug nuts... He did not feel it anywhere else..

I am thinking maybe a loose ground wire? what says the experts here??
10 REPLIES 10

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Good that you found the issue before someone was hurt! Unfortunately way too many people do not realize how important proper grounding is.

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
** UPDATE **

We found the issue.. The extension cord he was using as a temp was heavy duty with 6 ga wire, BUT..... ( or someone ) cut the ground prong off the male end... SO it was plugged into the wall socket, without the ground.....

He didn't think that was an issue, I removed the cord, CUT both ends off it and trashed it. We then plugged another into the wall.. All is good now.

Thanks all

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coach-man wrote:
Aka the breeze wrote:

When he was inspecting it at home, he received a slight "shock" when touching the lug nuts... He did not feel it anywhere else..

Glad he was only plugged into a 15 amp circuit! This is a very dangerous situation. If plugged into a 30 amp service, could potentially deliver a 220 volt shock to someone! Could be a problem at the pedestal side, or in the trailer! Again, it needs to be throughly checked by a professional before someone is seriously hurt or killed!

Absolutely not. RV 30A service is 120V only. No 240 in any form.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Aka the breeze wrote:

Glad he was only plugged into a 15 amp circuit! This is a very dangerous situation. If plugged into a 30 amp service, could potentially deliver a 220 volt shock to someone! Could be a problem at the pedestal side, or in the trailer! Again, it needs to be throughly checked by a professional before someone is seriously hurt or killed!

Dufus
Explorer
Explorer
I thought this was a 12v system off battery power for brake action. Still yet, a ground problem.
Full timer
2013 Excel 36GKM Limited
1997 Freightliner FL50 CAT 3126 w/ Allison 6spd Auto
2007 Toyota Camry
2004 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan Trike

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Aka the breeze wrote:
he was plugged into a 15 amp outlet from his garage..ai told him to check his electric cord reel... have heard of those grounds failing

Likely has 2 problems.
First is a missing ground connection, as you stated might be on the house side of the wiring so needs to check the entire "pathway".

Second is the source of the voltage he felt on the lug nuts. If he has a 120 and/or 240 electric water heater I'd check that place first.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
he was plugged into a 15 amp outlet from his garage..ai told him to check his electric cord reel... have heard of those grounds failing

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Was he plugged into shore power when he received the shock?

If yes he has a hot skin condition which is dangerous , potentially fatal.

If not plugged in was it a standard static shock?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
There definitely is an electrical problem. A loose or missing ground could definitely could be the issue. That could be a dangerous situation, it needs to be checked by a professional. Potentially you have 220 volts going to the fifth wheel, which would definitely put a big hurt on someone!