cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slides will not extend

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 36' 2003 Cedar Creek RLS with three slides. The slides all work in sequence. The RV was in storage for several years. Now we are trying to restore it to a usable state. When we press on the slide out switch nothing happens.

No sound of a motor running. The unit is plugged into 50 amp shore power and has a new battery. I tried taking the switch out and taking it to an RV dealer and they no longer even make one like it. Best I can do is provide a picture of it.

Fuses have been checked and circuit breakers (both inside the door and the second panel near the batter) appear to be good...we will be replacing one to be sure.

Used a tester on the switch and it does not seem to be getting power to it. Any ideas where to look next? Naturally while the RV is in an unusable state we just found out that the house air is out (currently 88 in here and will get hotter) and it cannot be replaced till Wed. Would be nice to get the slides out and use the RV. The air works there!!!
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!
12 REPLIES 12

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
There are breakers in the front near the pump. They are auto reset and do go bad, I just replaced one that would trip after moving a few inches and stop, restart, stop, restart. It had 2 40 amp breakers tied together (80amps) and I was advised by tech support to increase the size, it's now 2 50amp.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
1. There should be a switch by hyd pump (our '06 CC was located by left compartment door next to landing leg) that you can use to extend slides w/o going inside of coach.

2. Find where main cable from battery attaches to a row or bank of breakers. Using a 12v tester, check to make sure you have power from battery on at least 1 side. Where you see a buss bar connecting 2 breakers together, that's more than likely the breaker(s) for your slides. Had to replace ours due to intermittent operation of slides. Perhaps might not be a bad idea to replace all of them w/ new ones anyways.

3. Not sure about your A/C, so follow advice from others.

4. Like AP said, you can extend the slides w/a drill via a connector/extension on side of coach to hyd pump.

5. All the breakers (at least on our '06) where located in same area as #1 under a small plastic cover. Cannot miss them as there should be a bunch of wires there. If not, will be in front compartment, left side.

Let us know how you make out.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the responses. I am going to print them all out and the next time my friend who is way more mechanically inclined than I am (I am 0% - he is 10,000%) is here we will start going thru this thing fuse by fuse. When we first moved the RV the air was working properly, Now with going on 6 weeks of high 90's and low 100's with no end in sight for at least another week....the air in the RV has stopped working also.

The house air went out last week and we cannot get the house temps below 85 - day or night. So finally a 5 ton A/C will be installed tomorrow. Once we can get back to a stable environment here and rebuild the savings account a bit, we will tackle the RV issues. I will surely let you know what we find out.

Thanks so much for all your help and ideas.
Shadow and LD

Tom_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
Oh weird that's all. It looks like a problem with fuses, but still there may be something with the wires, you can not underestimate them. Can it be better to go for a diagnosis somehow?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Do your 12 volt lights work? It is going to require troubleshooting the system with a voltmeter to see where you have voltage and where you donโ€™t. If you canโ€™t do that you will need someone who can.

You need to make sure you have voltage (+12) at the load side of your fuses.
If so, you need to see if you have constant voltage at the switch common terminal.
If so, you need to see you have voltage at the other terminals when you actuate the switch.
If so, you need to see if you have voltage at the circuit breaker feeding the hydraulic pump.
If so, you need to see if you have voltage at the center terminal on top of the hydraulic pump.
If voltage at all points then you should hear a click from the black box on the pump when someone actuated the switch.
And the pump should start running after the click.

And as I mentioned, you should be able to open the slides using a reversible drill until you solve the power problem.

Did you recently install the new battery? It is possible the battery wiring was reversed.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have a 12 volt breaker or fuse issue. Check for a row of breakers near the battery box. They are usually rectangular shaped and grey in color. On the bottom or top of one of them should be a tiny black reset switch that you can push in to reset it. Maybe it's something that simple. If all breakers show 12v there, then there must be another fuse/breaker near the slide motor. Let us know what you find.

I had to edit my suggestion as at first I thought it was your ac in the trailer not working, then realized it was your home.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
The slides could be wired direct from the battery with a standalone fuse.
Does the AC just not run at all or runs and no cooling.

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea where the motor is for the slides. Nor do I know a darn thing about the fuses. I am also trying to find out where the darn converter is. Just inside the doorway there is a panel with 6 circuit breakers and 15 fuses. The fuses are labeled. The circuit breakers are not. There are 4 more breakers in the front bay by the battery. One is labeled main and the other is converter. Who knows about the rest!

Starting with fuses, I have about reached my limit of the electrical system. This is so frustrating! I might be able to do more if I could find a motor or hydraulics for the slides. I do not recollect finding a place in the front bay for hydraulic oil.

I will take more pics of the power panel and see if anyone can make sense of it. Whoever heard of breakers not being labeled? How dumb!!! Especially for dummies like me.

Thanks so much for your help guys!!!
Shadow and LD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Hydraulic slides? If so there should be a fitting on the end of the pump where you can use a cordless reversible drill and hex bit to run the pump to move the slides until you can figure out the power issue.

One terminal on that switch should have continuous +12 vdc (probably the center one). And that should come from a fuse. Do you have +12 vdc on all the fuses?

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have any 12 volt power?
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Need to get to the slide motor and see if you are getting power to the motor when the button is pushed.

Possible rodents chewed wires?
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look for a switch for landing gear. Should be the same thing. But a new switch will not make a difference if there's now power getting there.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500