cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide usage while making pit stops..

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at toy hauler 5r's and one thing that bothers me are the floor plans that require you to open a slide or two to access the bathroom. It seems that there are very few floor plans that meet all our criteria so something is going to have to give - momma wants a wardrobe slide and I suspect she will get it.

We generally like to use "own" bathroom while on the road.
Having never had a rig with slides - is it a PIA to open and close the slides just to take a leak? does the rig need to level to run the slides in/out?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
43 REPLIES 43

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
atwowheelguy wrote:
Eight feet wide is plenty.

Until you have the ability to go 12'wide.
I have 5 slide and enjoy the additional room each one provides

No offense intended. I was inarticulate. What I should have said is that eight feet is plenty for me.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
atwowheelguy wrote:
I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to put the kitchen on a slide.
My kitchen has been in a slide for 15 years and it's not fallen out yet. Opposing slides give you the room of a small apartment. I'll keep my complexity.

That's great. No offense intended to those happy with theirs. I'm happy for you. Two water supply hoses, sink drain hose, propane hose, 12V wiring, 120V wiring. Slide out, in, out, in, flex, flex, flex, flex. Just not for me. I just find Murphy lurking in too many places on my camper as it is.
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
I'll never have a rig that blocks access to bathroom, refrigerator or bedroom with the slides in. Packing, unpacking, rest stops, cat naps... all more convenient without having to deploy slides.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
atwowheelguy wrote:
Eight feet wide is plenty.

Until you have the ability to go 12'wide.
I have 5 slide and enjoy the additional room each one provides
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
atwowheelguy wrote:
I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to put the kitchen on a slide.
My kitchen has been in a slide for 15 years and it's not fallen out yet. Opposing slides give you the room of a small apartment. I'll keep my complexity.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
I like the old adage KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid. I've read about rotten floors caused by leaking slide seals and failed slide operating mechanisms. Those reports are easy to find. I expect it gets interesting when the slide retractor stops working when it's extended. I'm sure the extra square feet are luxurious, but they come with complexity. I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to put the kitchen on a slide. Thanks, but no slides for me. Eight feet wide is plenty.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
azdryheat wrote:
All the time we are stopping at rest stops for lunch or a short break. It is no biggie to kick out our kitchen slide for lunch. Just gotta make sure it's not hanging over the white line and be in the way of the truckers.
I figure the stairs have to be out to get in and the galley slide doesn't go out any further than that so why not. I park to the left of the space in rest stops.

I wouldn't buy a rig that didn't allow bathroom and bedroom access with the slides in.

Bedlam
I find most of my stops are in pull-offs or areas wide enough that opening slides has not been a problem. My triple slide requires one slide open just to get in the door, another one open to access the bath and the final open to access the fridge. The switches are right next to the door and any combination of slides can be opened or closed at the same time.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the reasons we chose our first toyhauler was because it had access to most everything with the slides in. Our second toyhauler is the same way. It's a nice convenience but I don't know that I've ever pulled into a truck stop or rest area and not had enough room to put the slides out. Most spots were paved and relatively close to level. In fact I often bump the slide out a little just to give us a little more elbow room.

The times that I was glad we had access to everything was when we had to pull over on the side of the road to change a tire and when it's parked curbside in front of our house. Makes it easier to pack when you have access to everything. Otherwise, we would have to watch for traffic and put the slide in & out accordingly or leave it out and hope someone doesn't hit it.

Not having access to things like the fridge, closets etc will not be a deal breaker in our next toyahuler. Bathroom might be a different deal.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I think it has a lot to do with "HOW" you RV.

If you are a weekend warrior or a local destination camper you get in and drive to a destination and park. So having access to all inside your RV would most likely not be a problem.

For those that travel extensively for those of us that full time and/or snowbirds who are most likely driving a substantial distance to their destination, IMHO would like to have access to all of the coach when traveling.

I also think the coach builders have just gone plumb goofy having an RV with sometimes 5 slides. :R

The full dinette or couch area slide is doable. IF it blocks nothing.

I never could understand that tiny slide in the bedroom that when it is in it blocks the entire bedroom area. And the ones I've looked at it gains 'nothing' when out! Except that when you lie down your head is stuck outside the coach!!!

One slide up front that blocks nothing and a nice big queen walk around bed in the bedroom. :C

Just my .

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Lantley wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Learned our lesson with a previous trailer...

Deal breaker: a slide that blocks access to bedroom, bathroom, refrigerator, pantry.

For me only the bathroom is a true deal breaker.
Access to the other areas is negotiable
Yep, me too. Our fridge is only accessible with the kitchen slide out, but it's the small one so it's not a biggie. But I really wouldn't want to have to open a slide every time to use the bathroom. We sometimes stop for a bathroom break on the side of the road or Exit/Entry ramps, usually not very level at all.

X3 to I only need access to the bathroom, we also have access to the bed.

To me a usable floor plan when the slides are OUT is far more important! Slides are only in during travel, so as a consideration not a deal breaker.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
As long as there is bathroom access with slides closed the rest of the RV will never be critical for me.
Pretty much my thinking too.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Learned our lesson with a previous trailer...

Deal breaker: a slide that blocks access to bedroom, bathroom, refrigerator, pantry.

X10
Why buy an rv that restricts you from using items inside which is the whole reason you buy an rv to travel in?
If a slide blocks anything I don't buy it.

In short I bought my 5 slide RV to be used with slides open.
I did not buy it expecting to fully use it with slides closed.
As long as there is bathroom access with slides closed the rest of the RV will never be critical for me.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
.. the only thing we can't operate with the slides closed is that we can't fully open the oven door. Other than that, everything is fully usable.
Excellent. Are the slides narrow.. that is, they don't extend very far? Configurations for MHs might be quite different from Towables.