cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Supports

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer
The question is does anyone put stands or any supports under the slide out when parked for extended period of time or is this a NoNo. And if you do what do you use. Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Glendale's generic owner's book specifically said NOT to use them.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Harley Doc wrote:
I use them to stabilize all the time, never to support.

I use JT Strong arms to stabilize.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, our 2003 Montana Big Sky recommended slide supports if you were parked for an extended period of time. They weren't supplied however.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
wildtoad wrote:
FWIW, while at Myrtle Beach State Park this past week I did see a TT with a support under the slide. Looked like your basic bottle jack. So someone is doing it.

And Camping World still pushes them, along with king pin tripods.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I remember one night on the OR coast where the wind was strong enough to rock the 5er, saw one where plastic wheel chocks wound up in next space. Just think of what could have happened to supported slide.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if your slide outs require support the factory would have shipped the TT with supports. if you use 2x4's or the like under the slide out and your tires go flat over night while you are sleeping, you would have to buy new slide outs

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slideouts are 'self supporting'

If needed the RV MFG would have provided them to limit warranties issues
YET they do NOT

Just because something is sold via aftermarket does NOT mean it is necessary, worthwhile or even an improvement.

Seeing someone use something is NOT a recommendation.

Check with YOUR RV MFG about the use of slideout supports for YOUR RV.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are something that should not be on store shelves anymore!!!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Harley_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
I use them to stabilize all the time, never to support.
Harley Doc

2017 F350
2016 Wildcat
2017 Triumph Bonneville
2011 HD Road King

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, while at Myrtle Beach State Park this past week I did see a TT with a support under the slide. Looked like your basic bottle jack. So someone is doing it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A total no-no per most manufacturers.
Can do nothing but harm in the long run.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If the manufacturer doesnโ€™t advise supports, why are you concerned?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try this, set your trailer up and put supports under a slide. Then let the air out of one of the tires like it went flat and see what kind of damage happens to the slide.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, not necessary for any modern RV. Perhaps if the camper is set up stationary, with wheels removed and on blocks the slide-outs might benefit from being supported, but even then, really not necessary. They are designed to be used with no support. Use them the way they are intended and you won't have problems. Don't try to recreate what the manufacturers have already done.