cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide-out topper replacement

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Headed out Friday to a local State Park for a relaxing weekend. Mother Nature decided the relaxing part was not going to start on Friday. 60 mile an hour winds to keep us on edge. We kept the slides in when possible to ease the wind catching more surface and listening to the slide covers flapping. Our fifth-wheel is a 2009 and we had the toppers put on in 2010. The living room/dining room slide is around 12 feet long and when parked at the house faces the south sun. Time has taken it's toll and I told the wife when we set up we will probably be replacing that cover soon. The stitching holes were getting larger as the material and thread were giving out.

Well it wasn't to long into the storm when the back corner started coming loose. The threads used to sew the material around the plastic piece that slides into the channel on the trailer gave up. The winds died down for the rest of the weekend. Yesterday we brought in the slide for the drive home. Thankfully the loose stuff rolled up nicely and we had no flapping on the way home.

That's where the fun ended. When the wife went to put the slide out at home the cover was tangled up and binding. I unrolled some by hand and we managed to get the slide out a little more. So now I had to get the old cover off so we can put the slide back in without any problems. It is a carefree slide topper. Did my google search for tips and tricks. Not a single example showing my old version.

I did figure out how to insert an object into a hole to hold the spring. Getting the trailer side off was easy. Just a short screw put into the rail to hold it in place. The spring roll side was a different story. Seems whoever put the thing together decided running 3 inch screws in the groove from the end of the roll was the way to anchor the topper. And that may be a good idea.... if you have 3 inches of clearance to back out a screw when you need to replace the mounted canvas. I had one inch and no way to access the screw head as there is a solid end cap.

Thought about drilling a hole in the end cap. Thought again as I would also need an opening to slide the old topper out and the new in. Drill is out and angle grinder is in. Cut a slot where one should have been put by the factory. Managed to find the serial number on the tube. I went to Carefree's website, entered the number and up pops all the info for that slide topper. One click and the replacement material is in my cart. $243 later (including shipping) I should be good for another 10 years.

One more thing, I did remember to count and write down the number of turns the roll made as I relieved the tension so I can get it right when I reinstall.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
6 REPLIES 6

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I know its not the same but..... my bro in law and I swapped out his awning ourselves.. We watched a YouTube video and it was spot on !

When we made the swap, we kept an iPad close by to watch the video in case we got confused....

Glad your getting it handled...

We did the awning on that side 2 years ago. That side of the trailer faces south where we park at the house. The three slide covers on the other side look good after 11 years.

We did the same thing with the laptop and watching videos. It's pretty much the same process but there is no slot to line up to get the cover to slide out of the tube. Good news is where I cut the notch out is on the top of the curved end piece. You can't see it from below.

Would you say that now that you did that, you could ADD one to a trailer with no large issues?

I would say yes with some caveats. For an awning, it would help to know where solid structural elements are behind the walls to screw to. Although I do have a cool stud finder.
And for the slide out covers, I would like to watch someone with experience measure one up for ordering the correct size.

schlep1967 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I know its not the same but..... my bro in law and I swapped out his awning ourselves.. We watched a YouTube video and it was spot on !

When we made the swap, we kept an iPad close by to watch the video in case we got confused....

We did the awning on that side 2 years ago. That side of the trailer faces south where we park at the house. The three slide covers on the other side look good after 11 years.

We did the same thing with the laptop and watching videos. It's pretty much the same process but there is no slot to line up to get the cover to slide out of the tube. Good news is where I cut the notch out is on the top of the curved end piece. You can't see it from below.

Would you say that now that you did that, you could ADD one to a trailer with no large issues?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced the awning material in both my main awning and slideout awning last summer. It was an easy job but had the help of two of my sons. You will need at least one pair of extra hands the first time you do it. After that, I would not hesitate to do it myself - would just take longer.
I agree with the posts above that recommend watching a couple of U-tube videos on the subject.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your topper troubles but it appears youโ€™ll get it fixed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad