cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slide-out switch nightmare

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Keystone Challenger 34TLB, w/3 slides. There is only one switch for the slides, you must extend/retract them ALL, in a prescribed sequence, to move (any of) :@them. I wish I had a single switch for each slide so that I could extend/retract any ONE of them, to any degree, as I need. Anyone done this switch change over? Input? Thanks.
25 REPLIES 25

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
your Keystone slide pump should have a valve for each slide. You can close the one or two if you desire and still have one working.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Mine does, we have either gas or electric for the hot water heater and the dummy lights do work on our unit, I always tell the DW to use electric in the campgrounds.

Bill

unclescratch wrote:
For those of you who have the factory installed switch controlling the electric or gas operation, does the red idiot light function at all if you choose electric water heating 'only' ??:@
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
I've never seen a hydraulic slides with a manual tool, except for the one that cranks the motor, not seen any that use anything other than that. Dunno.

My Hitchhiker has a manual pump built into the electric pump. I have to turn a valve and then I can pump the slide in or out. There is a valve for each slide in case of a pump failure.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
My previous Cedar Creek had a hydraulic manifold with adjusters for each slide, and a way to shut off pressure to any slide.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW Don't automatically expect a hex key to work on your Lipper pump. My Lipper pump had no hex key slot. The motor had a right hand nut and the motor had to be turned CCW. Guess what happened?

When I pointed out the 5 design problems to Lipper including the pump leak directly into the motor they agreed to replace it with a newer design which has worked since 2011. Later I had to replace all 8 totally cheap and inferior hydraulic lines.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only practical way to move my hydraulic slides is with the pump and its motor or manually turning the motor.

My slides are very heavy which is the reason they are hydraulic. Yes I can open the hydraulic so that it would not restrict movement but the heavy slide would be very difficult to move especially the drop down slide. And once moved it would have to be secured for any driving since hydraulic pressure holds it in place both extended and retracted.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never seen a hydraulic slides with a manual tool, except for the one that cranks the motor, not seen any that use anything other than that. Dunno.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I donโ€™t think you can move a slide with a โ€œtoolโ€. You would have to overcome the resistance of the hydraulic cylinder for that slide. You can operate the hydraulic pump by using a drill and hex bit to move the slides.

Lippert slides

We have an area and a tool that manually moves the slides in should the hydraulic system fail. Have never tried it because there has not been a need.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I donโ€™t think you can move a slide with a โ€œtoolโ€. You would have to overcome the resistance of the hydraulic cylinder for that slide. You can operate the hydraulic pump by using a drill and hex bit to move the slides.

Lippert slides

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
I do know that I have a hydraulic pump/reservoir in the right front outside cabinet above the batteries. I know two of the slides have rack and pinion drive. If I am to move the slides manually, I will have to fabricate a pipe with a slot for a drive mechanism. The tool on board to manually operate the front landing gear would never fit where I would have to operate the rack/pinion mechanism. More investigation needed on my part. Thanks to all for your comments. I'll keep you posted.;)

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on the age of your 5er and the way you describe their sequencing I assume that they are hydraulic slides. When you activate the switch the motor applies pressure the the system. The slides operate in the order of least resistance first then 2nd least resistance etc. Resistance can vary from time to time.

The only way you can change this is to re-plumb the hydraulic to make individual hydraulic circuits for each slide. Each circuit needs a solenoid valve that is controlled by an individual switch. If you want only one switch per circuit you need some relays to engage the pump when any of the switches are activated.

On mine the opposing slides are plumbed so that the tee is near the cylinders so there would be additional hydraulic hose that would need to be run the the valve area. I know I could design a system to do this but I decided it was not worth the trouble and expense it would take so I left mine as is.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt that you will get a schematic for the wiring. In most cases they don't exist. If your slides are hydraulic the only solution would be some form of a valve, whether it's a manual valve or electric solenoid type. If they are electric it shouldn't be very hard to wire in a shut off for each slide. Then when you want to bring them on line you would just have to power them up.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
unclescratch wrote:
ReneeG: "front side panel" Where might this be? Are you referring to a manual crank option for moving each slide?

In our fifth wheel, it's where the battery compartment is, all the wiring for the slides, and the hydraulic fluid reservoir. For us it's on the front right side.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Are they hydraulic slides? If so the sequence occurs with the slide with least resistance moving first, then the second least resistance, then the last one. The switch simply starts the pump and hydraulic oil pressure does the rest.

That is how my 2007 Keystone Montana with 3 slides works.

And if they are hydraulic your only option I believe would be to install electric solenoid valves on each hydraulic line coming off the oil line manifold near the hydraulic pump. With solenoid valves you could select which slides to enable and disable. I can only control my sequence by closing the little manual valves on each line.

If they are electric slides the above does not apply of course.