cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

short high end fifth wheel

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been through an Alpenlite,a Travel Supreme,and a Mobile Suites,all of which I liked, and all of which are too much for an old man to handle. I've browsed till I'm sick of it looking for similar quality in a shorter (32'max) fiver. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax
14 REPLIES 14

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Martyn wrote:
Jbird wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. Artic Fox is about as close as Ive been able to get,but the shortest just not a good floorplan for me. Really frustrating that nobody tests the market. Same problem with travel trailers.

That Cougar 27SGS is a nice floorplan! Wish they made it in the Premium series.

Accepted it is not a premium model, but we have found the quality to be very good. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yep it's not as "high end" in terms of finishes like a Mobile Suites but the basic build quality is pretty good. The 27.5 is their most popular 5'er so I guess that's the floor plan you didn't like. My wife passed on the 27.5 as well due to lack of counter space but I liked the 27.5. It's about a ton lighter to pull. The floor plan on our 29.5K is very nice but it's about 35' OAL.

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
TX Iceman: Yup,same problem with travel trailers. I'm currently in a Lance which is ok, b want to get back to a fifth wheel.

Chief: Thanks. I thought of New Horizon. They've apparently discontinued the line that has the shorter build.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Jbird wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. Artic Fox is about as close as Ive been able to get,but the shortest just not a good floorplan for me. Really frustrating that nobody tests the market. Same problem with travel trailers.

Howdy!

If you cannot find a floor plan you like you might want to consider New Horizon. They can build you what you want in a floor plan.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
All I can say is there is like a bazillion different brand/style/length/floor plan/etc.
if you canโ€™t find one you like, itโ€™s you, not the rv industryโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We have had higher end RVs in the past and are at the point where the 40-foot 5er no longer fits our needs. In looking at the smaller travel trailers, we are really disappointed at the availability of nice 25-to-28-foot travel trailers. It seems that for the most part, the industry seems to think that everyone looking at smaller is looking at cheap and poorly built.

We will keep looking and settling for something in the next few months.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Jbird wrote:

Accepted it is not a premium model, but we have found the quality to be very good. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
We love our Cougar- see signature. She is just 31ft.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know why the builders don't think that there are people looking for a less than 36' quality fiver.

Way back when we were looking the max length we were after was 32'LOA. This was 2006 & we narrowed it down to three models to look for. A Mobile Suite 32TK3. A Carriage 33CK? Alpenlite 34RLR.

We had getting into state parks in mind & we had the ability to dry camp comfortably for more than a couple of days in mind.

All three had similar quality of build. All three had similar floorplans. All three had 100gal FW capacity. The hunt was on for a lightly used of any of those models. We found a virtually new Alpenlite 34RLR Ltd. Fifteen years & well over 2000 nights use later, there has been no itch to relace it.

These days a quality smaller 5er is even tougher to find. Arctic Fox seems to be one of the few.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
We nearly bought an OutdoorRV, a sister company to Northwood. There may not be any formal connection but Lagrange, OR is a very small town.

They are nothing like DRV, but do a better job than most.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the NuWa Hitchiker trailers? The true HitcHikers ceased production in 2012. Some Petersen Ind (Excel) units were made for a couple of years until Excel folded. They are well built trailers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mobile suites (DRV) makes a 32' RV. Do a search you will thank me!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I would suggest you look at Artic Fox made by Northwood Manuacturing. Check the link below.

Northwood mfg 5rs

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
These things are impressive...maybe too short?
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843