cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Short bed truck missing back window

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Went to a local campground this weekend. Saw a short bed Dodge with plastic over the back window. I eventually got a chance to talk to the driver. He is new to towing a fifth-wheel. Had a manual sliding hitch in the truck. But didn't think he needed to slide it before backing into his site. He actually got lucky as he didn't hit the cab at all. Just broke out the window. It will only cost him about $500 to replace it.
This was a brand new Alliance Avenue with the concave corners on it.

I asked if he wanted to check out how a Pullrite Autoslider works. He said no thanks, he learned his lesson and will slide it in the future. Hope he remembers when he is maneuvering to get to a gas pump...

I'm on my second autoslider in my second truck, and have not damaged a rear window or cab in 13 years.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
21 REPLIES 21

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We have been driving DRW trucks for over 15 years now and for the last 9 plus years as our only vehicle. My wife drives the truck solo as well while towing and has her class A license for the rig.

It can be a pain at times when parking when the only parking is in a garage. The wide hips are not much of a problem, but the turning radius for the long bed crew cab is a pain in tight quarters and may require a two-point turn. But it is all doable and we can safely tow our 19,000 LB 40 FT 5er.

Get the truck you need for the trailer, or look for a smaller and lighter weight trailer, but be safe.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Really a simple fix is a no compromise LongBed Truck.

Don't tell me how a LB won't fit in your garage or how hard it is to park etc.

My wife drives our RAM DRW Crew cab in Down Town Palm Springs, CA.

I don't think you can call down town Palm Springs "town"... I was recently there for the first time and was surprised what a slow moving town it was. Lots of places to park in lots of on street. Go to down town LA and try to park in a garage, then let me know how that goes.

Honestly, I think you can take a dually most anywhere, but if I had to do it often, I would choose a different daily driver.

When you tow a 24k RV the responsible thing to do is drive a DRW. I used PS as an example, she drives everywhere in the Coachella Valley. Park out away from others and look for an end parking space.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I don't think you can call down town Palm Springs "town"... I was recently there for the first time and was surprised what a slow moving town it was. Lots of places to park in lots of on street. Go to down town LA and try to park in a garage, then let me know how that goes.

Honestly, I think you can take a dually most anywhere, but if I had to do it often, I would choose a different daily driver.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I take my 3500 drw long bed crew cab 4wd chevy to town also....but it sure won't go or fit every where I may want to go. My wife will ride in it but will not drive it in town.

Were in the middle of cow/horse country out here. Lots on cow/horse queens driving a one ton drw crew cabs/srw short and long beds pulling a 40' LEQ or a 4 horse slant or a 21k tri axle GN or tandem dual axle stock trailers or a 30-40' 5th wheel rv trailer.

GM/Ram/Ford trucks with long and short beds are well represented out here....folks drive what they want....even a Ty'uta on occasion.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

DW drives our long bed DRW to town all the time, our DD drives her 2004 Ram 3500 DRW long bed all the time and also tows her two horse trailers one two horse and a four horse with small living quarters.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Letโ€™s put it this way , Iโ€™ve seen fifth wheels being towed , and backed by many that it doesnโ€™t make a whole lot of difference what truck they have itโ€™s just plain scary .

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^So Ken, if thinking of buying a new long bed dually, you should build a new house/garage for it to fit in? Home building kind of spendy right now, as are the new trucks!

Cummins12V98 said: "My wife drives our RAM DRW Crew cab in Down Town Palm Springs, CA." That is commendable, and you are lucky to have her! Not many drivers would want to double tow your rig, up/down the left coast, like you do. Yup, some folks are more capable, less likely to have damage, in various towing situations.

Jerry

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Solution to the garage is too short...when we had our last house built, the garage was long enough and wide enough for my 1 ton, crew cab, long bed dually.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
I drive a 8 FT bed truck and will not have a short bed truck. I see too many short-bed trucks and 5ers with broken windows or a boo-boo on the cab.

Ken

I have seen many long beds with caved in beds from dropping a fifth wheel on it , things happen . I have also seen many short beds with no dents in the cab. In all honesty since the new rounded cornered on the fifth wheels , I haven't seen a dented cab in a long time ,that ,and the Andersen hitch .

Situational awareness will prevent many of these mishaps, long bed or short.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
I drive a 8 FT bed truck and will not have a short bed truck. I see too many short-bed trucks and 5ers with broken windows or a boo-boo on the cab.

Ken

I see a few also...... Altho ones I see some are long bed trucks like my work buddies '19 4wd 2500 long bed Ram/Cummins.
He has no rv trailer but his back glass/cab damage was taken out by a 1200 lb round bale he thought didn't need tied down.
Or a F350 srw short bed 4wd same damage done by a transporting a feeder bin from one pasture to another.
Just because we see a LDT short bed that has a busted back glass or dented cab does not mean it was done by a trailer.
Short bed vs long bed.
I own short bed srw trucks and a long bed crew cab 3500 drw.
My 3500 long bed sits in the tractor barn as it will not fit in my garage and close the door nor will it go where my short bed srw trucks have to go in town or off road places.
Its always amusing at the same ol' opinions/reasons everyone should own a long bed truck .....like they do.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I popped out my back window the first year with my 5th wheel - in my driveway. My trailer has square corners so it definitely in the way. I don't have a slider and don't think I need one. I am just more careful how I back up. I really don't think it is ever an issue going forward, just backing up. I slow down and watch the rear of the cab on tight corners, but have never seen it get within 6" or so of the cab.

It's not fun, sounds like a gunshot hit the window. Just glad no one was in the back seat.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jdgreen42 wrote:
RV ed for 20+ years with up to 35 ft 5th wheels, pulled to Alaska 3 times, all over lower 48- never had a slider, never needed one, never got into cab or window. Guess I was just lucky or ????

I've never been to Alaska but I have towed three different 5th wheel rv trailers with short bed trucks since the early '80s.
First one was a new 1984 26' on a '84 short bed chevy. This truck even towed double with a 3400 lb bazz boat for over 8 years. This was before sliding hitch became available.
Last two were short bed 2500 Dodge/Cummins...both with a manual slider.

My current 5th wheel rv trailer is a 1997 11200 lb 32 footer with a square corners using the same manual slider. No problems.

Lucky.....luck has nothing to do with it if you pay attention to details required.