cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

scamp 19ft deluxe

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
hi - I am looking at a Scamp 19ft - deluxe 5th wheel.
I have been told that my 8ft truck bed will not work, that I need a 6 ft bed to prevent damage on sharp turns.
Also, a regular 5th hitch will not work, you need some sort of special hitch.
Anyone out there can help?
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S
8 REPLIES 8

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
You could mount the hitch towards the back of the bed and it might work. The Scamp is so light it would not be worse than a bumper pull. No idea about stability but with 4 tires back there the tail should wag the dog.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
It might not be a bad idea to contact Scamp directly. Looking at pictures of them, it appears that the conventional hitch location of slightly ahead of the rear axle might indeed cause issues with this trailer, since the overhang appears to be much shorter than a typical 5th wheel trailer. For an 8 foot bed, the hitch would probably need to be well behind the axle, which would not be a problem since the advertised pin weight it just 400 pounds. Even if it was 600 fully loaded, no problem for a dually. Another issue might be the height of the truck bed.

On the website the hitch type was unclear, other than it appears to use a 2" ball rather than a traditional kingpin.

These trailers really do seem to be designed to pull with smaller trucks, but that doesn't mean you can't make it work with yours.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations and that 5th wheel Scamp is a Sweet Camper!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Might cause some giggles when RVers see a 19 foot Scamp pulled by a dually.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Your 8 ft bed will work fine, actually whoever told you that got it backwards. The 6 ft beds can cause a problem with older 5th wheels, not
travel trailers. Your dually is gross overkill for that small TT but I would not buy another tow vehicle when the one you have is fine.

hi - thanks, yes I know my truck is bigger than I need, but I do not want to get another one. had this one for 20 years and have no plans for another. just like the wife. been married to this one for 60 years and no plans for another.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your 8 ft bed will work fine, actually whoever told you that got it backwards. The 6 ft beds can cause a problem with older 5th wheels, not
travel trailers. Your dually is gross overkill for that small TT but I would not buy another tow vehicle when the one you have is fine.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Scamps are designed for small trucks, not duallies. Not sure why you want such a tiny trailer, but if that is your desire, you might want to get something like a Chevy Colorado to a Tacoma.