cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saving the Clutch

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
If your tow vehicle has standard shift, this suggestion might be a moot point for you.

When I was new to trailer towing with my Dodge 3500 (6 speed manual), I would often encounter a burning smell while maneuvering my fiver into a site. I realized it was probably clutch material burning due to constantly riding the clutch. Somehow it never occurred to me to use 4WD, which would have been much easier on the clutch. The clutch did hold up pretty well for quite a while but eventually needed replacing. Having learned my lesson, I started using 4WD whenever making small maneuvers when towing. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! Would have saved me paying for a new clutch.

Oh well, water under the bridge. Live and learn. :W
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
25 REPLIES 25

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two cell phones work great for the above video.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I got to use 2WD LO today when I brought the camper home. It was my first time towing anything other than a U-Haul car carrier. It is SUPER tight at the top of my driveway. I finally got it turned around and backed it in easily with 2WD LO. I can't imagine what it would have been like in 2WD HI.

https://youtu.be/0kCtKBKZe2k
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is a clutch slider with my Cummins/NV5600 tranny combo.....even with a empty truck.
The Cummins has a zero throttle launch so no need to rev and slide the clutch when empty of backing my fully loaded 16k GN tri axle stock trailer around cattle pens/ crowded stock yards or hilly pastures.
With a 6.29 or 5.63 : 1 ratio reverse/1st gear the Cummins will idle backing up a steep bank.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
turbojimmy wrote:
Thanks all for the replies.

I don't have 4 miles, but I do have a 500 foot paved driveway that is very steep in spots and one car wide. I need to bring it up top and swing the truck and trailer around. It levels out at the top, but not enough to prevent me from having to maneuver with the trailer on a fairly level spot but with the truck on a steep decline. To make things more interesting the trailer will be parked where I have asphalt millings (a hair better than gravel). I worry about traction so I'm going to try to keep the truck on the pavement as much as possible when getting the trailer in its spot.

I was goofing around with the 2LOW kit today and it works as designed. I have less traction when backing in 2LOW vs. 2HI for whatever reason. I brought the truck down a really steep part of the asphalt millings and it would back itself out in 2WD but with the 2LOW engaged it just dug itself a hole with the left rear tire. I'm not too concerned because I'd never bring anything but the 4WD down there but it's just an observation.

I've over analyzed this situation to death but I think I'm good. I'm bringing the trailer up here on Saturday so wish me luck...

I was 4-wheeling with a friend about 45 years ago. We were in his K Jimmy and were in 4LO on some dirt and degraded rock. Kept spinning out, even a low speeds. Shifted to 4HI and we had no problems. Seems the slip of the torque converter allowed him to "feather" the throttle a bit more and kept the tires from losing traction.

I was at a campground with our, then new, KZ FW. Packed dirt and sand drives. I had to back up a slight incline into our site and, even with the weight of the FW on the pin, started slipping. Dropped into 4HI and backed right in.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies.

I don't have 4 miles, but I do have a 500 foot paved driveway that is very steep in spots and one car wide. I need to bring it up top and swing the truck and trailer around. It levels out at the top, but not enough to prevent me from having to maneuver with the trailer on a fairly level spot but with the truck on a steep decline. To make things more interesting the trailer will be parked where I have asphalt millings (a hair better than gravel). I worry about traction so I'm going to try to keep the truck on the pavement as much as possible when getting the trailer in its spot.

I was goofing around with the 2LOW kit today and it works as designed. I have less traction when backing in 2LOW vs. 2HI for whatever reason. I brought the truck down a really steep part of the asphalt millings and it would back itself out in 2WD but with the 2LOW engaged it just dug itself a hole with the left rear tire. I'm not too concerned because I'd never bring anything but the 4WD down there but it's just an observation.

I've over analyzed this situation to death but I think I'm good. I'm bringing the trailer up here on Saturday so wish me luck...

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
memtb wrote:
I use 4-low a lot...but, hate the stress it puts on the drivetrain. Not fond of the โ€œcrow hoppingโ€ when in a tight maneuver. There are ways/methods/components to disengage the front drivetrain, itโ€™s only a matter of money.....a goodly portion of it! memtb

I use 4LO when towing the mile off the "main" road into our boondock site. Not because I couldn't tow it in 4HI or even 2wd, but the road's a bit rocky in spots so this helps me to just creep over the rough spots at idle. As soon as I get past the bad spots, I switch back to 4HI, then 2wd when I'm maneuvering. I also use 4HI on the dirt road coming in, as it's got washboards and, even with the weight of the pin, the back end can hop a bit. Never over about 25 mph for the 4 miles in, and no really sharp turns, so I don't feel that it's putting much stress on things.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friend of mine, his wife loved her manual transmissions, but was burning out clutches every 20k miles. She used to control her speed, by slipping the clutch.

My wifes garage queen, SRT Challenger, I stalled it in front of 50 of my car buddies, took a lot of ribbing on that one. One suggestion learn to drive a manual trans, except my daily drive at the time was a fiesta stick ๐Ÿ™‚ The clutches were SO DIFFERENT, that I just let it out too fast.

I did have fun one day, finished talking to my friend who was parallel parked... and my foot just happened to "slip off the clutch", while tiny bit higher engine RPMs. Silly 275 tires must have hit some water or something on the road ๐Ÿ™‚

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
In my Dodge, turning the front wheels is very difficult when the front is engaged. Especially in tight maneuvers.

Get a 4 low disconnect kit. It is well worth the $$$.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I use 4-low a lot...but, hate the stress it puts on the drivetrain. Not fond of the โ€œcrow hoppingโ€ when in a tight maneuver. There are ways/methods/components to disengage the front drivetrain, itโ€™s only a matter of money.....a goodly portion of it! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 2 Low kit; I use it every time I back my trailer into tight spots. It is tight getting into my back yard and using the 2 Low feature makes it MUCH easier on the clutch. In the case of an automatic, it will definitely be much less strain on the transmission.

Overall I would say it is one of the best modifications I have done to my truck.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Roger10378 wrote:
I believe there are kits out there that make it so you can use low without engaging the front axle. This is what makes maneuvering with a manual much easier on the clutch.

This!
I installed a 2-low kit on my 2001 Ram 5 speed manual, made backing very easy on the clutch, could actually have it fully engaged while backing.

I installed one on my 2013 as well and it has made a huge difference. I don't believe that they are available for the 3rd generation Ram/Cummins trucks because of a different engagement system. In 2013 they went back to the axle disconnect which makes the 2 low kit possible again.

I know this is an older post but...

I sold my motorhome and got a smallish trailer that I'll be pulling with my 1/2 ton GMC. My driveway is steep and there will be some backing as I maneuver it into its spot.

So this is a long way in asking how people like the 2WD LO kit? I got mine from BD Diesel and haven't used it yet. The trailer is at my dad's as I just sold the motorhome yesterday. I'm hoping 2WD low will help with backing and save a lot of stress on the transmission.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Roger10378 wrote:
I believe there are kits out there that make it so you can use low without engaging the front axle. This is what makes maneuvering with a manual much easier on the clutch.

This!
I installed a 2-low kit on my 2001 Ram 5 speed manual, made backing very easy on the clutch, could actually have it fully engaged while backing.

I installed one on my 2013 as well and it has made a huge difference. I don't believe that they are available for the 3rd generation Ram/Cummins trucks because of a different engagement system. In 2013 they went back to the axle disconnect which makes the 2 low kit possible again.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
mr. ed wrote:
MFL wrote:
Good point, but I think you mean 4-low, not just 4x4. Many drivers, unfamiliar with clutch operation, slipped the clutch, even driving a car. I think some just stepped on gas, let engine rev hard, while slowly letting up on the clutch pedal. ๐Ÿ™‚ Used to joke about the fan pulling car forward, until the clutch engagement took over.:)

Jerry

I get your point, Jerry. I was under the impression that when you put your truck in 4WD, you're automatically in 4 low. I had completely forgotten that there must have been an extra lever for low range; it's been some years since I owed the vehicle. ๐Ÿ™‚

No, not AWD, as that is a completely different system. ๐Ÿ™‚ There are lots of different 4WD systems. I think most had 4L, and 4H, but were operated in various ways. About 8 of the new trucks I've purchased had 4x4, but all were 4 high and 4 low capable. Some had neutral transfer case ability for free wheel towing, such as behind a MH.

Jerry

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, as some of you mentioned, when in 4WD low, the vehicle moves in a much different fashion. Because I didn't like that, I decided to remove the front driveshaft since I rarely used 4WD anyway. Anyhow, I later changed my mind and reinstalled the front drive shaft, deciding to live with it when maneuvering at a campsite. That RAM was a good truck, quite a hauler. The one thing I didn't like was the diesel particulate filter system. Anyhow, she did run very well even though there were times I needed to allow the truck to burn off the particulates in the DPF at times. I found I could do that by driving around town for a short while in a lower gear to keep the RPM's up.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)