cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeco Insurance - towing coverage?

Graycat
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading on other forums that the regular towing coverage on a policy will not really cover towing a FW. I have Safeco and pay $18 per year for Roadside Assistance. I just called to see if that covered a tow truck for both the TV and the FW and the lady I talked to (not an agent) told me yes that it was fully covered. I asked if there was a mileage limit and she read me the paragraph off the website: "If your RV becomes uninhabitable, your coverage includes housing and transportation costs. It also covers the loss of personal property from your RV." It doesn't say anything about a mileage cap or unlimited mileage and when I pressed her, the girl said she would have to find out.

My question is for anyone with Safeco. Have you ever had to use the towing and was there a limit of any sort?

If it does cover 100%, why would anyone pay $179 per year for Coach Net?
Marti, Lee, and an old gray cat
12 REPLIES 12

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
One more point they will tow to certified Repair shop or 100+ miles

Great information in your last two posts. Thank you! Looks like whenever my CoachNet insurance comes up for renewal, I may just drop it.

One more question, does Safeco's towing insurance cover sending someone out to give your car/truck a jump start when the battery is dead?

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
One more point they will tow to certified Repair shop or 100+ miles
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I have Safeco and yes it does cover your tow rig and fifth wheel. The better point is that they will allow a certified Mobil mechanic to come repair on roadside if cheaper. Case in point the leave spring broke inside Grand Canyon NP. The tow to flagstaff was going to be $1400 A mobile mechanic was $800 plus parts. We paid for parts and Safeco paid for the mechanic instead of the tow. They saved money and we were back to vacation time in about 4.5 hours. instead of a day to two days down in flagstaff. I have used Safeco two times in8 years and each time it was completely painless both times. We have house cars RV boat Ect. all under Safeco. As you can tell I am a big fan
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
crcr wrote:
Graycat wrote:
I finally got an answer, and it is yes, towing is covered even if it is only the TV that had the initial problem.

Thank you. -- very interesting information for me, as we have Safeco insurance on our truck, car, and travel trailer. So when my CoachNet insurance comes up for renewal, I'm going to contact my Safeco (Independent) agent and see if I am told the same as you were told. If I am, I won't renew CoachNet.

Thanks to Graycat for "coming back" !

No dog (or cat) in the fight, but "crcr" make sure Safeco gives you the same info - sometimes ins policies may be slightly different in diff parts of the country - even though they cover you (as above) wherever you travel.

Thanks for the tip, Dtank. Appreciate it.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
Graycat wrote:
I finally got an answer, and it is yes, towing is covered even if it is only the TV that had the initial problem.

Thank you. -- very interesting information for me, as we have Safeco insurance on our truck, car, and travel trailer. So when my CoachNet insurance comes up for renewal, I'm going to contact my Safeco (Independent) agent and see if I am told the same as you were told. If I am, I won't renew CoachNet.

Thanks to Graycat for "coming back" !

No dog (or cat) in the fight, but "crcr" make sure Safeco gives you the same info - sometimes ins policies may be slightly different in diff parts of the country - even though they cover you (as above) wherever you travel.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Graycat wrote:

Graycat
Explorer
Explorer

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can, correspond with them via Email - having it in writing might come in handy if there is a problem.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Graycat
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Dtank. I'll make another call tomorrow.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Graycat wrote:
I've been reading on other forums that the regular towing coverage on a policy will not really cover towing a FW. I have Safeco and pay $18 per year for Roadside Assistance. I just called to see if that covered a tow truck for both the TV and the FW and the lady I talked to (not an agent) told me yes that it was fully covered. I asked if there was a mileage limit and she read me the paragraph off the website: "If your RV becomes uninhabitable, your coverage includes housing and transportation costs. It also covers the loss of personal property from your RV." It doesn't say anything about a mileage cap or unlimited mileage and when I pressed her, the girl said she would have to find out.

My question is for anyone with Safeco. Have you ever had to use the towing and was there a limit of any sort?

"If your RV becomes uninhabitable ......

OK - so your tow vehicle brakes down.
You need it AND your perfectly fine (INHABITABLE) 5th wheel towed.

IMO - the policy does *not* cover this (simple) situation.

Ask - your source AND also ask if you can call the (real) provider which will be one of the national motor clubs who underwrite ERS and towing.
(ie; NOT Coach Net, or GS, etc.)

BTW - ERS is *NOT* the same as the poster indicating his Safeco insured RV was destroyed (which obviously rendered it UN-inhabitable).

Why most folks have CN, GS, US Rider, (etc.) Emergency Road Service
("ERS")

RE-read the fine print, pin 'em down - make sure YOU see/have it in writing.

~

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
This is a little OT but I had Safeco on my Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler that was totaled in Irma. All I can say is everyone that I dealt with from beginning to end were very nice and caring. I also felt that the payout amount was fair.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Graycat wrote:

The fact that the agent could not answer your question about unlimited milage is your answer!!! Good Sam is the only plan that offers unlimited towing mileage.