cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv extension cord

elishaman
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a cross country rv trip and need to get a power extension cord. What do you feel is the maximum length I will need? Trying to not buy more than needed as storage is a premium on our 5th wheel.
23 REPLIES 23

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing is to get a 25 ft. extension. You won;t need it until you need it. About once a year we will land in a site that we are a couple of feet short of the pedestal.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
My three cents. In all the years of traveling here and there, we have only needed an extra few feet i would say less than half dozen times. We have a 50 amp, with only one a/c, I have a 30 amp shore power cord that I use when traveling, also have one 25 foot 30 amp extension cord, plus one 25 foot heavy 12 gauge cord that I have only needed a couple times, that was to help with someone else needing power when dry camping. I would get one 30 amp extension cord or a heavy 25 foot regular extension cord to use for battery, lights, and misc. stuff. you can run fridge and water heater on gas to keep load to a minimum. While traveling, but may not handle a/c. If storage can be an issue, the smaller of the two should work. OR, you can always wait until you need it, run on battery for the night if you have to, that's why we have fully self contained units. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
We mooch-dock at a friend's house about every other year. They are kind enough to let us tap the 15A circuit by their front door. But it is way too far for our RV cable to reach, so I'm adding 12 gauge extension cords to bridge the gap.

I still put my Southwire surge guard in line between the RV cord and the 15A extension cords we use. We've had the voltage drop enough to trip the surge guard (not even trying to run the AC).

A 25' RV cord sounds like a good length to help you reach but not risk going too far.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, my extension cord resides in the same milk crate as the OEM cord, 30/50 dog bone and various other adapters. Also, if I can find one, I'm going to buy a screw-type 90 degree dog bone adapter that has a standard 4-prong female plug on the other end and only use the Camco extension cord, since it's so much more flexible.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
how long is your rv?
how long is your "factory" cord.
subtract the cord length from the rv length.

add in a couple feet round up and thats how long it needs to be at max length.
just think, if the power is farthest away from your power input spot.

This. Our toy hauler is 43' feet now and the stock cord is about 35'. The inlet is about middle of the camper. I've needed a 15' extension on quite a few occasion in the last 15 months.

On my last fifth wheel, it was 42' and the stock cord was about 35'. The power inlet was in the rear corner of the rig. I only needed an extension once but had to be particular about where I parked less than 5 times ... in almost 6 years of ownership!

For the OP- throw the extension cord in the truck bed. Doesn't take up premium storage space in the fifth wheel and is there when you need it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelle.S wrote:
You know what that say "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Yeah, that applies to a lot of stuff, and you'd be carrying everything but the kitchen sink if you strictly adhered to it.

Yep, sure could use 2 or 3 spare tires, just in case. Sure could use those complete set of wrenches, just in case. Sure could use another tow vehicle as a back up, just in case. Sure could use a complete axle set, just in case. The list goes on and on. Sometimes you just have to say, "Okay I'm carrying enough stuff, and I can get by just fine".

Which has been proven over the last 15 years. In fact the only thing I've ever needed and didn't have was another spare tire when the trailer blew 2 tires within 20 minutes of each other. And you know what? I still carry just one spare tie.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You know what that say "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW in 15 years of RVing, I've never needed more than the OEM power cord. I suppose it could happen, but it never has and we've covered a fair amount of country and most states. Just a data point that I don't carry an extension cord and have never needed it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 25โ€™ 30 amp cord. I use it all the time at home and have only on one occasion. Used it on the road. I also carry a 35โ€™ 12 gauge 15 amp cord that I run from the power pedestal to my outdoor cooking area. Between the electric frying pan, coffee pot and ice maker it is nice to have the extra power available and not be just limited to the single exterior outlet on the rig (which happens to be on the same circuit as a bunch of indoor stuff) If we are ever in need of longer for the main 30 amp cord I can use this additional 15 amp cord and limit the amount of things we use. In our area power for the furnace is more important than AC anyway and a 15 amp circuit handles this easily.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
how long is your rv?
how long is your "factory" cord.
subtract the cord length from the rv length.

add in a couple feet round up and thats how long it needs to be at max length.
just think, if the power is farthest away from your power input spot.

or hard wire in a cable front to back in your coach. with a plug up front, one at the rear, and one mid ship. then just one 25 footer just might be all you will ever need.
but always use a quality surge protector in line with this or any power supply cord.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
My rig came with 25' cord. I bought another 50' 50AMP cord to match it. I've been forced to use it a couple times. You can find good prices on EBAY.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming you have a built in cord...25ft extra can be handy.

I generally don't like going much further than that unless it's limited to light duty (no air/con, microwave, etc...) When considering how many amps can be handled, length and number of connections lowers the allowable amps before you run into too much voltage drop.

If we do get in that situation, we just keep the high draw items off and use a light duty cord with adapters for the extra length.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
elishaman wrote:
I am planning a cross country rv trip and need to get a power extension cord. What do you feel is the maximum length I will need? Trying to not buy more than needed as storage is a premium on our 5th wheel.

I had a 30a plug installed at my house when I had my old FW, and needed an extension cord to reach it. That meant that an extension was required when I got the new one. I was able to find a used 25' Camco cord on Craigslist and made it a part of my standard kit. It must be an SOOW cord as it's a helluva lot more flexible than the OEM cord. I've not had to use the extension while on the road, yet, but I have/had them...in case.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Get the cord on the road if and when needed for the minimum length.

That will mean cross your fingers and there is one available. At that point you will be happy to be overcharged and pay and inflated price because you have no choice.
Or you can be prepared and have an extension cord in your storage area.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide