cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resealing DRV A/C Dometic Penguin II Unit On Roof

dmorse68
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever resealed or replaced their DRV Mobile Suites A/C unit on the roof? I think I have water intrusion at the A/C rooftop seal and would like to hear from people that know how its mounted to the roof and how to reseal it.

I've researched Youtube videos, but they all show interior mounting bolts that lie under an interior plastic shroud on the inside of the RV. However, DRV's don't have an interior shroud. They have a solid, padded head liner.

Are the mounting bolts for the AC unit under the main exterior cover of the Dometic Penguin II unit?

Thanks for your help
David
-David
DRV 36RSSB3
26 REPLIES 26

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I then torqued all the lag bolts on all 3 to 50โ€ pounds"

That's an interesting torque. Reality that's slightly above 4'# TQ.

You only want to compress the gasket, not crush it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I then torqued all the lag bolts on all 3 to 50โ€ pounds"

That's an interesting torque. Reality that's slightly above 4'# TQ.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
dmorse68 wrote:
pcm1959 wrote:
Those lag bolts that hold a/c unit on to the roof on many of the new RVs with no visible means of attachment on the inside are a huge source of possible water as they are outside the a/c seal and/or shroud. Be SURE they are properly sealed.
Many a/c units are leaking into the roof on these types of a/c units unknow to the owner since it is not likely to show up on the inside due to the insulation and ceiling panel particularly if a vinyl/padded ceiling.

The only way I discovered I had water intrusion was, I took the bedroomโ€™s fantastic fan inner shroud trim piece off so that I could place a mouse trap up in the insulation cavity, and saw the roof plywood dark and wet.

There ya go! Trust me, there are many, many others with the same situation and don't know it.

There are 3 units on my fifth wheel. After a heavy rain,I discovered a small drip of water at the most rear register actually behind where the a/c is mounted. Thought at first it was condensation. After another heavy rain, drip drip. I then torqued all the lag bolts on all 3 to 50โ€ pounds which has stopped any visible leak.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is why the lag bolts should be checked.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
dmorse68 wrote:
pcm1959 wrote:
Those lag bolts that hold a/c unit on to the roof on many of the new RVs with no visible means of attachment on the inside are a huge source of possible water as they are outside the a/c seal and/or shroud. Be SURE they are properly sealed.
Many a/c units are leaking into the roof on these types of a/c units unknow to the owner since it is not likely to show up on the inside due to the insulation and ceiling panel particularly if a vinyl/padded ceiling.

The only way I discovered I had water intrusion was, I took the bedroomโ€™s fantastic fan inner shroud trim piece off so that I could place a mouse trap up in the insulation cavity, and saw the roof plywood dark and wet.

There ya go! Trust me, there are many, many others with the same situation and don't know it.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

dmorse68
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:

-David
DRV 36RSSB3

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree people should check tightness of lag bolts. I have owned 2 DRV's over 9 years with zero leaking. I am on DRV Forums with no leaks mentioned.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
As a old auto body shop owner using 3M products always did waht they were designed to do and using the foam sealer tape I used was designed to stop water migation under a truck cap. Having one side of sticky it allowed the tape to seal to the unit and float on the roof top. The sealant dries and is not sticky once set so for the following 6 years of ownership of the DRV trailer and having no further leaks, I guess it worked as I had expected. If at the time the factory seal was available I would have purchased it, but where I was there was no seal. I did the next best thing and got the fix done. No big deal as I have learned a long time ago there may be more than one way to get the job done and have it work.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Barney, our NitchHiker Champagne has the above the roof mounting system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks all for the clarification on the mounting on DRV units. Dang, 83 years old and still learn something everyday! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT us caulk of any sort on the A/C gasket. And yes, the higher end u nits are mounted from the outside with no inside access panel. It keeps then quieter than the through the roof units.

Get a proper replacement gasket and do not try to use a make shift gasket.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dmorse68 wrote:
Next time you try to remove the AC unit you WILL be pulling up your roof! Stick with proper gasket!

That makes sense. Thanks.

You R Welcome!

dmorse68
Explorer
Explorer
Next time you try to remove the AC unit you WILL be pulling up your roof! Stick with proper gasket!

That makes sense. Thanks.
-David
DRV 36RSSB3