cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace decals with paint?

MSGTRETIREDCSP
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about removing all the decals because they look like ****. Thought I would tape around where the old decals were and just use spray paint in a can like krylon or rust oleum. Followed up by clear coating. I've watched some videos on you tube and I think it would look better than the current decals.

Have any of you ever done this? If so, were you satisfied with the results. Any pros or cons to doing this? Thanks
2016 RAM Tradesman, 3500, DRW, 3:73, B & W hitch.
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel
8 REPLIES 8

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
check out something like this I thought about getting my %5th wheel done probably les than a paint job they can do anything you want there are places like this all over and when your ready to sell it if someone don't like the graphic you chose they just peel it off and get new
http://www.idwraps.com/
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a friend with an older 5er what had decals peeling off the sides of the trailer. He took pictures of both sides of the trailer and took the whole unit to a body shop. They removed the decals and repainted both sides of the trailer exactly as in the pictures. It now has a full paint job and it looks better than when it had only the decals.

Check with your local body shops and see what they can do.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

2 rv's ago I had severe fading on the back do to it being parked in the Florida sun for 2 years...

I had my body shop buddy match the paint colors, remove the stripes, spray the area, then automotive clear coat it . .

Better than new !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have not tried them, but here is an option to consider.

Decals

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We have come across the same problem with the decals. I used a heat gun to remove them then an adhesive removal wheel and a spray gotten both on e-bay, and have them all off. As far as re-applying decals or painting have not decided yet. I talked at length to a gentleman last fall who did the same thing, he painted on the design he wanted using a spray gun. Like others noted take your time, and see if auto dealers will sell you the kind paint you need. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Prep is the key word for any paint job. Rattle cans can turn out really good or really crappy jobs. You will need to remove the old decals, remove any residual gule, sand, prime and then top coat with the best paint you can find. Some automotive paint stores will fill a few cans for you in the colors you choose. Which would be my preferred choice.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would ask the manufacturer for replacements. I doubt you'll get any since its ten years old. But I will never pay for the "privilege" to advertise someone's product.

Adding to what azdryheat said, I think it would come out looking all jacklegged with a spray can.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, spray can paint will always look like it came out of a can. Perhaps if you could rent a sprayer and compressor you would get much better results.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE