cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repair/replace cargo door (tailgate hole)

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone repair cargo doors (the one under the nose, behind the tailgate) and if not who sells them? There aren't many Alpenlites around so I kind of doubt I could find one at a salvage yard. It looks like they are riveted together. If I could get someone to dismantle it does anyone sell -- and could they match -- the gel-coat paneling?

Thanks....
10 REPLIES 10

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
cannesdo wrote:
Frame's in good shape. All of it looks new aside from about 5 square inches. ๐Ÿ˜• I think the rivets could be drilled out and the frame cut but don't know how glued in the panel is. My best option is probably finding on in a salvage yard.

If your front compartment is like my front compartment it is designed for air flow. As in not sealed. Would you entertain the thought of cutting a square around that hole and installing a vent cover?

EXAMPLE

End result would look like it was factory vent>?

And, $15.00 is a lot cheaper than $800.00 LOL
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I do believe a lot of the cargo doors are a standard width and height, you could measure and talk to some other trailer parts guy. Take a good jug of whiskey with you on a Tuesday mid morning and they will bend over backwards to help.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

egregg57
Explorer
Explorer
I punched a hole in my Outback Front Cargo Door with my tailgate. Rookie mistake too. Called the local dealer who ordered it from Keystone. Got the door pretty quick and it was a perfect match.
AEC AW/SW E.J. Gregg USN Ret.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L Diesel
2015 Keystone Montana 3750FL Copper Patina
The Gregg Escape

Scot
Explorer
Explorer
cannesdo wrote:
Frame's in good shape. All of it looks new aside from about 5 square inches. ๐Ÿ˜• I think the rivets could be drilled out and the frame cut but don't know how glued in the panel is. My best option is probably finding on in a salvage yard.

I've thought of doing this also but going a step further and using it to completely cover the front area where the door is, I think it would help with stones and other road debris..
Scot & Ann
2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CC Dually Duramax/Allison
2013 Sandpiper 355RE
Hidden Hitch 18k
My Photos

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
W4RLR wrote:
Try All-Rite.

Geez for $800 I'll stick to DIY
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to get some aluminum diamond plate and replace my dented and holed door. I'll take out the old door and use it as a template to cut a new one. But my frame is intact I don't know if that's true for yours.

That's a great idea, and would look good to IMO!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Try All-Rite.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't really got into the door replacement yet I've been working on projects inside.
Superbumper

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to get some aluminum diamond plate and replace my dented and holed door. I'll take out the old door and use it as a template to cut a new one. But my frame is intact I don't know if that's true for yours.
Superbumper