cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator and milk

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
Got myself a new Cougar 27RKS and am in the process of stocking it. I took a look at the shelves in the fridge and started to wonder just how much weight they could/would hold. For instance, a gallon of milk?

In my little pop up, I had to keep the milk on the floor level to keep it from tearing up the sides. Don't want to do that on this one.
13 REPLIES 13

Fabguy
Explorer
Explorer
I am a home brewer with a keg system and I have carried up to 3-2 quart growlers full of beer on one shelf of my Dometic many times with no issues.
Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Pullrite Superglide
Pulling a 2015 Keystone Cougar 280RLS

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
If there is a empty spot in the frig(or anywhere else for that matter)my wife will fill it with something, no shelf's broken yet, we do try and keep the heavy items out of the frig door during travel to help the hinge's on the door. This is on a 1095 Norcold.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I find it easier to buy 1/2 gallons. They fit in more places. Plus, a single half gallon lasts about the right time for me - a gallon would probably spoil. Another advantage is that I will buy a half gallon, even though I still have a partial in my fridge - That way one has a an expiration date that is further away. Yes, it's more expensive. Oh well.

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a gallon of milk, OJ, ice Tea , and some beer in our fridge on the top shelf and have traveled tens of thousands of miles through flat lands and mountains and have never had one problem with anything breaking. We also pack our fridge tight so we don't have a lot of space for things to slide around.
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep my gallon of milk on the bottom shelf with other large non-squishable items - both at home and in the RV. Just seems like the bottom shelf is where milk goes. ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
We FT for 7 yrs ......

Gallon of ice tea and milk on same shelf, jars of pickles, jalapenos, mayo, and everything else that needed to be refrigerated.

Never broke any shelfs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:
We only put Milk in our Frig to chill it prior to consumption. We go to Dollar Tree and purchase the ultra pasteurized Milk. It is Shelf stable for up to a Year without Refrigeration. They have been using it for over 40 Years in Europe. When I got to Germany in 1974, all of the Milk was like that in the German Stores. It does have to be refrigerated after it is opened. That is all my Wife and I use. If we got a Gallon of regular Milk, it would go bad before we could use it.

+1
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
We only put Milk in our Frig to chill it prior to consumption. We go to Dollar Tree and purchase the ultra pasteurized Milk. It is Shelf stable for up to a Year without Refrigeration. They have been using it for over 40 Years in Europe. When I got to Germany in 1974, all of the Milk was like that in the German Stores. It does have to be refrigerated after it is opened. That is all my Wife and I use. If we got a Gallon of regular Milk, it would go bad before we could use it.
God Bless!

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm just being a little over cautious.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
My 6.0 cu ft Dometic has a cut out in one shelf just the right size for a gallon of milk to pop thru from the shelf below. If it weren't for that I would have a tough time getting it to fit as the shelves are too close together.
Some of my shelves also have sort of a guard rail across the front to keep things from sliding too much. We always take a gallon of milk and have no problems.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I've filled up most of the fridge with bottles of beer before. It didn't break anything.

Beer is the new milk. :B
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have carried gallon jugs of milk frequently over bouncing highways with no problem. Your fridge may be different.

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I found some fridge holding bars at campingworld.com:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/single-refrigerator-bars-3-pack/70078

I usually take powdered milk in my RV for my coffee. I guess that if you have kids, real milk would be better for them to drink.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A