cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recycled Asphalt/ New pad for parking

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have experience with recycled asphalt or concrete/ Making new pad for 5th wheel to sit on. Going to dig out soil and be 4-6 inches deep.
24 REPLIES 24

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I have parked my 40 footer on the recycled asphalt. No issues at all.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Kenjack24
Explorer
Explorer
My recycled asphalt drive has held up fine even with the use of my snow plow. Prepped right. Smoothed. Compacted. A little water. A little sun. Very hard. No tracks left by my Fifth Wheel. No pads in use.

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
Consider using class II road base, packs well, and easy to install.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
crcr wrote:
Personally I would definitely pass on the recycled asphalt. If you don't want the expense of concrete, I'd suggest DG -- Decomposed Granite, 1/4" minus.

I've used DG for parking areas many times, for years for rentals I once had, and now we added a few parking spaces at our church and used DG. With usage and rain, it packs in almost like concrete, and makes an excellent parking surface. I've never had it get muddy after rains.

Another vote for DG. DG is a great paving material and it looks fantastic if it's installed well. How much rain do you get? DG can get kind of muddy if the ground is saturated and the grade doesn't drain properly.

I live in the Desert Southwest. We only get about 7" of rain a year. However, we not infrequently get gully washers than can drop a lot of rain in a very short time, or sometimes over a day or two. Just last weekend, it rained steady for two days solid. The ground was so saturated it was spongy, but our added DG parking at church was still fine.

I would say if you have someone haul in some DG and spread it, that if they don't have a roller to pack it, I would rent one of those vibrator packers the size of a lawn mower and use it to compress the DG.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I used flex base for my driveway. Probably the same as DG. It looks like a concrete mix and comes it several grades depending on rock size. If properly packed and after a few rains it is great. The county replaced my culvert and used it for filler around the new culvert and extending out to the road and 50' up my driveway. They packed it with a roller and after a rain it settled and my truck and rv won't even leave 1/8" deep tracks when wet and they weigh 23k. Next best thing to concrete I've found.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

dedmiston
crcr wrote:
Personally I would definitely pass on the recycled asphalt. If you don't want the expense of concrete, I'd suggest DG -- Decomposed Granite, 1/4" minus.

I've used DG for parking areas many times, for years for rentals I once had, and now we added a few parking spaces at our church and used DG. With usage and rain, it packs in almost like concrete, and makes an excellent parking surface. I've never had it get muddy after rains.

Another vote for DG. DG is a great paving material and it looks fantastic if it's installed well. How much rain do you get? DG can get kind of muddy if the ground is saturated and the grade doesn't drain properly.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
IF the asphalt grindings are FRESH, they will compact, with a steel wheel roller, quite well. I've seen it and done it many times in my 30+ years with Caltrans. If the grindings are old, like was the case with my neighbor, they will not compact and will track everywhere.
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just using recycled milling would be a mistake since it will never harden up. A new hot asphalt mix with just a percentage of milling added is fine, and almost all new roads have a small percentage of recycled milling added to the mix.
If you use the hot asphalt paving, the base must be compacted dirt, or gravel.

Crushed concrete makes a good gravel surface, and is comparable to a limestone driveway, but a little less in cost. All gravel surfaces need maintenance time to time, and do not need as much base prep as the asphalt.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Very surprised about the asphalt comments.

Maybe the person that put it in for me was just more experienced. He dug down almost a foot, then back filled with some sort of rock, then a good layer of the recycled asphalt. It has remained solid, level, mostly weed free for three years. I would not just use asphalt alone. It needs a good base from what I saw. No tracking of oil or grease. I would do it again.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

crcr
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My son lives in central Florida and uses recycled asphalt on his 1/4 mile drive way and in his 40-60 enclosed trailer shed.
His tandem axle 13k 5th wheel trailer....a 9000 lb 26' blue water fisher siting on a tandem axle trailer and a 20' 2800 lb duck boat all with 3/4 inch plywood under all the tires per the guy that installs these type driveway/parking pads. No sinking issues.

However just like crusher run gravel, his wife and grown/married 30 year old sons and daughter inlaws had to learn to slow down when using the driveway.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I used ground up asphalt milling's at my house about 10 years ago in an attempt to make my driveway a little bigger. Keep in mind the petroleum residue will cause those tiny pieces of asphalt to stick to your shoes and get tracked everywhere. My wife's can carpet floor mats in her car turned black after only a few weeks.

Most of us seem to take great pride in the condition of our recreational vehicles, I would hate to see and otherwise spotless RV with greasy carpet
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Need to be clear about what they are offering.

Recycled asphalt can mean fresh asphalt, which uses ground up old asphalt as the aggregate. What you end up with there is going to be a typical asphalt drive, that just cost a little less due to the recycled content. Tires will sink into it for a few years until it ages well. And it will have the same nice black color that you expect with fresh asphalt.

Ground asphalt would be the equivalent of crusher run concrete, except that it has enough petroleum tar left in it that it can be rolled or compacted and tend to stick together, which crusher run concrete won't ever do unless you oil it. I don't think the tar is fresh enough that tires would sink into it. Just like well aged asphalt.

Ask to see some examples of their material laid down.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
No personal experience, but many use the stuff for their rural driveways here in MN. My neighbor did it for his 200 ft drive but I did not like how it broke down into tiny bits.
If I do my drive I will use cement parking pads and crushed granite driveway.
For a pad to park your 5ver on in DE, look to see what others are using and how they like it after 5 years. Ask the contractor where some is laid to see how you like it. 3/4 red stone may be popular in your area. The larger 1 1/4" may be more suitable for parking but hard on the mower if it is not contained. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD