Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended must have for 5th wheel

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

Finally took the plunge and bought a 5th wheel. We have been camping with Class C and travel Trailers for many years so we have all most the stuff. First 5th wheel so we are excited and a bit nervous.

I was wondering what specific things we need to buy to make our 5th wheel life easier. Bought a 2021 Solitude 378.

Thank you
21 REPLIES 21

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Disc Brakes

For sure!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
With the trailer you are buying, I sure hope you are going to get a DRW truck and not a SRW truck. A DRW truck will have a longer 8' bed unless it is a Ram 3500 DRW with the Mega Cab.

Every day we see people pulling into the campgrounds with SRW trucks and too much trailer. There is fellow here now with a 3/4 ton GMC and a 41' Solitude.

Ken

Well once again if he hasn't weighed his rig he may think he is fine! The greatest feature of towing a 5er is also it's worst!!

That feature is that they are extremely stable, even overweight they tow great. All the time a set of Air Bags and it tows level, but what about tires, can they carry the weight. What happens when the deification hits the rotary oscillator??
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
With the trailer you are buying, I sure hope you are going to get a DRW truck and not a SRW truck. A DRW truck will have a longer 8' bed unless it is a Ram 3500 DRW with the Mega Cab.

Every day we see people pulling into the campgrounds with SRW trucks and too much trailer. There is fellow here now with a 3/4 ton GMC and a 41' Solitude.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
speediq99 wrote:
2022 F350 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab
Trailer max weight 16800

Thank you

MC
ACZL wrote:
What tonnage truck do you have? Gas or diesel? Max weight of trailer? IMO, it's best we have this info to better inform you. I think tho, you may me asking about the 5er only, but if we have more info, we can better provide you w/ answers.

Single or dual rear wheel...what is the payload on the door sticker?

This trailer could easily be upwards of 4,000lb on the hitch. I wouldn't want to pull that without moving up to a dually.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't have auto levelling, I would highly recommend Anderson levelers.
We both loved them in our previous 5er. The new one has auto levelling and I don't think I will ever own an RV without it.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Extended warranty.

Waste of MONEY.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Extended warranty.

I have yet to hear of anyone ho has had a GOOD experience with extended warranty !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Strong sun kills roofs !

Wash at least twice a year and a apply a UV resistant spray like 303 UV protectant. If possible store out of the sun.

Considering their other thread is asking what is the BEST SLIDER HITCH for the 6.5 bed, that tells me its a SRW .

NOW, I know that I tow a heavy fiver with my new SRW, BUT this trailer they are talking about has a DRY weight of 16,000# with a DRY hitch weight of 3,250#

So, I would say that the best option to het for your new trailer is a another new truck......

AT least MY combo starts off UNDER all of my numbers, and stays UNDER MOST of them, but more importantly, under the IMPORTAND ones... RAWR, tire capacity.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask about the truck, but I was lead into that conversation

2nd edit... Now you want to add a 50 gallon fuel tank into the bed. that's about another 425# of fuel into a 200# tank.?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Russ,

My bad. I said 376 but It is a Grand Design Solitude 378mbs

Uvw 14344
Hitch 2686
Gvwr 16800
Lenght 40.2

MC

rhagfo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
ACZL wrote:
What tonnage truck do you have? Gas or diesel? Max weight of trailer? IMO, it's best we have this info to better inform you. I think tho, you may me asking about the 5er only, but if we have more info, we can better provide you w/ answers.

This...make sure you have enough truck.

5th wheels tow great but not if you have a substandard truck.

Well if one took the time to look up that 5er it is a Grand Design Momentum 376TH, these are the specs.

UVW1 15,900 lbs
Hitch Weight 3,250 lbs
GVWR 20,000 lbs
Length 41' 3"
Height 13' 5"

I would hope the OP has at least a 350/3500 DRW.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
2022 F350 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab
Trailer max weight 16800

Thank you

MC
ACZL wrote:

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Extended warranty.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
ACZL wrote:

This...make sure you have enough truck.

5th wheels tow great but not if you have a substandard truck.

Well if one took the time to look up that 5er it is a Grand Design Momentum 376TH, these are the specs.

UVW1 15,900 lbs
Hitch Weight 3,250 lbs
GVWR 20,000 lbs
Length 41' 3"
Height 13' 5"

I would hope the OP has at least a 350/3500 DRW.

My first choice.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Most of what you need will be the same for all RV types, two specific that I can think of are:
1. SnapPad - great addition and have been very useful
2. If your unit doesn't have it, a cord reel. We added ours after market and it's way better than lugging that heavy 50amp cord around. Self stowing and convenient.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton