cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Suspension Air Bags for my truck

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
I did several searches for the topic but they seemed to all go down rabit trails about specific models

I have a 2016 F-350 DRW 4x4.
It is a great truck.
We recently upgraded to a heavier FW, specs say 3,050 hitch weight.
I was really surprised how much it squated the rear of the truck.

What I read suggests installing air bags on the trucks rear suspension will help.
It seems simple and relatively inexpensive. It seams a ride rite 2535 would fit my needs and is apparently a very common bag. Installation looks like something I can handle.

We probably won't ever camp more than 6 times a year so I don't think I will bother with an on-board compressor. I have a Ryobi inflator that works with all my other 18V Ryiobi tools, I think it would be great for this.

My question is if this is a good plan to offset the heavier pin weight?

Is there any downside? It seems very common.
2022 Cruiser RV MPG 3400BH
2022 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4
25 REPLIES 25

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
Just mounted Firestones on my smaller rig. Used to get about 5-6" of sag at the rear bumper. Never an issue "bottoming out", even on rough roads before, but I didn't like the "uphill" feel of the truck, nor having to use the jacks to take up that sag before I could unhitch. Currently have only pumped them up to 30lbs when on hitch, and only have done a very short drive. Sag is now 2". Handling was fine. Off hitch, have been running the 30lbs for a couple of weeks. Not a lot of difference - a bit stiffer in the rear, but nothing my wife or anyone else has noticed. Using a bike pump, and while it does take a bit, it only takes about three times the number of strokes that my high pressure bike tires take. For the few trips a year, I can justify it as exercise. I'll play with pressure, but it may not need much more.
I didn't know about air-rides (I think that is the brand with the internal bumper) before I bought the Firestones. I might have considered. But so far, I have no issue with the Firestones. BTW - buy the separate air line Tee made for them too. That way you can fill both at once, rather than having two fill valves. Air-Ride Tees are cheaper than Firestone and work on the 1/4" air lines too.
And...I originally used the "no drill" bracket for the fill valves, that straps to the vehicles hitch. Location made it hard to attach the pump to the valves. I drilled a hole next to the license plate for the single valve, and it works well. I've seen examples where the valve replaces one of the plate screws, making it almost un-noticeable. But on mine, I would have had problems with getting the pump onto the valve.
The big test - leaving next week for a 1 month, 4.5K trip, so that will tell the tale!

Some seem to be happy will manually filling. I too went with manual filling on my first airbag setup, that actually lasted just one trip. Airing up, and down loading, and unloading my fifth got real old real fast. Didn't care to leave them aired up after unhooking.

I also like the ability to adjust air pressure on the fly, which I do on occasion .

Installed a compressor as soon as I got back home, and never looked back. I have had both Airlift ,and Firestone products, and would recommend either. I bought Airlift on this last truck, and took advantage of their rebates. The system has worked great on my Ram 3500. I installed the wireless air system ,and the airbags with the jounce system .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
d-mac1 wrote:
I had Firestones added to my Ram 2500 when I had the B&W Turnover Ball installed. They are setup to be filled independently and I do so via Schraeder valves and a bicycle floor pump.

Perfect solution.

I suggest not using a T to connect them in the event that some day you want to carry something that has considerably more weight on one side.

I used Air Lift bags on my 4Runner and the air line connections continually blow off. They suck IMHO.

I think you have point on the weight thing, but as far weight distribution, getting considerably more weight on one side is pretty remote, hauling dirt, gravel or building materials. I like filling both at the same time. Now if I had a camper on there then I would want the independent air fill.

I have run AirLift connections on two different 1 ton trucks with no issues, maybe wondering if you didn't get the airlines pushed in all the way or not cut properly.

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
I had Firestones added to my Ram 2500 when I had the B&W Turnover Ball installed. They are setup to be filled independently and I do so via Schraeder valves and a bicycle floor pump.

Perfect solution.

I suggest not using a T to connect them in the event that some day you want to carry something that has considerably more weight on one side.

I used Air Lift bags on my 4Runner and the air line connections continually blow off. They suck IMHO.
2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 300X10

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
Just make sure the bags you are looking at have an internal bumper, so you can ride with them with 0 pressure. One thing less to worry about in between camping trips.

Not true its a temporary thing running with 0 pressure. Check airLift website about running their jounce system with no air pressure. I would assume eventually its going to start ruining those air bags being bottomed out on the internal bumper.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised about the Timbrens comments but I guess it just goes to show a lot is about preference. Without them my truck rode softer but it seemed to feel like it bounced more than i wanted. With them it firmed things up and I prefer the more settled (stiffer) ride when loaded. I suppose bags would allow you to dial in a middle ground but I'm happy with the Timbrens and they offer some compelling advantages. Lack of maintenance and no worries about excessive suspension droop off road were the big ones for me.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F350 DRW towing 19K with 4200# pin weight with no added suspension options rides great, drops 2.5" at wheelwell and I have over 10K towing this way. I had Timbrens on my last truck (08F450), tried 3 different spring lengths and weights; hated them. I would go air bags before another set of Timbrens.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
CC38EL wrote:
x2 on the Timbrens. And they are much less expensive than bags, easy as pie to install, and do the job.

Sumosprings might also be an option.

Had those on a truck a couple years ago...couldn't get them off quick enough as the truck rode like a no suspension hay wagon when we had trailer hooked to it, went to air bags and it rode great!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Another fan of the Rite Ride airbag system. I have the onboard compressor, which at times I will adjust on the fly. I had my 5ver dealer install them when we bought our signature 5ver. Still working like a champ.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

alaska511
Explorer
Explorer
I have had several sets of air bags over the last 20+ years. They are great, and I never have understood the hate some have for them.

I have been a die hard Ride Rite fan, but put the AirLift bags on this truck. I would go with either.

2017 Wildcat Maxx 295
2015 Silverado LTZ Duramax/Allison

malojeer
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing I ever did to my dodge 2500 was installing ride rite airbags to pull my 5th wheel. Won't leave home without them.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Towed all over the country with Firestone bags and 3500# pin weight. 28 to 32 #s of air in the bags when towing. 5# when not towing. Smoothed rough ride out considerably.

Great system.

Lakeside

CC38EL
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on the Timbrens. And they are much less expensive than bags, easy as pie to install, and do the job.

Sumosprings might also be an option.
Jim
2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
When we still owned our '06 RAM I didn't like the squat we had pulling our (then) Montana so my nephew installed Firestone Ride Rites on it for me. I liked how I could control how much "sag" we had. While on a couple of trips that included after dark driving I got sick of having drivers "flashing" me all the time because they thought I had my high beams on! Didn't have to put all that much air into them either to gain elevation. After we bought our current fifth, it took just a tad more air as we were just a bit heavier on the pin. Loved the air bags!! BTW, all I had was one schrader valve by the license plate for adjusting the air pressure for BOTH bags. Easy peasy.....

Now we have a '15 RAM 3500 DRW with the factory rear air suspension, LOVE that option!! I simply put it in "Alternate Ride Height" which lowers the rear of the truck by 1" while towing our fifth. No matter how much weight is on the rear the truck rides level.

Good luck with your decision. :B

Dan

Cool_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Ford seems to have soften up the rear springs in the last few years. I put Firestone bags on my '01 and on this '11 to level out the truck when towing. I put about 35 psi before hooking up which gives me about 50 psi loaded. I didn't install an on-board compressor and wish I had.
'05 Day Dreamer by Cedar Creek
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.