cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 2500 Short Bed question

Brad_IN
Explorer
Explorer
Over the weekend I traded off my Chevy 2500 short bed and finally upgraded to a diesel. However I chose to go with the 2020 RAM 2500 short bed.

My Ram has the puck system, however it seems the bed and possibly the cab to Axle distance on the ram is a little shorter. And I have to get a 90 turn at the house to maneuver.

Does anyone know what the distance from cab to Axle is on the Ram 2500 short bed? And do you guys think I should look at possibly going with a slider with 12โ€ aft/fore travel instead of a 10โ€ like my old hitch was?

Would love to hear what you all think.

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 short bed - use the B&W Companion slider with the puck system. The kingpin does not contact my tailgate when slid back, nor do I get any contact with the bed rails.

Yes - the camper will contact the cab when backing into tight places - I have to make a 90 backing into my driveway - ask me how I know...

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
"You sound like me. Had a truck, bought a camper. Not enough truck so I bought a new truck. Then upgraded and bought a new camper, not enough truck again. Bought a new truck. Upgraded the camper again, not enough truck all over again. Now I'm searching for a new truck. I told my better half that this is it. Love it, Like it or hate it. We're done going down this spiral. When I get a new truck, that will be it barring a catastrophe of some sort. We did everything back asswords and have payed dearly because of it."

And this is why newbies should come to this forum before buying anything! A lot buy a half ton then come asking what camper; or they buy a heavy camper asking what half ton they should get. Many don't want to hear us recommend a one ton for a TT because WE know they will be upgrading after a year or two.

I agree with you but in my defense, I didn't know this forum existed before I bought my first RV (Travel Trailer). Then we decided to snowbird so I bought a 5th Wheel and needed a 1 ton truck. After doing that, we learned we needed a different 5th Wheel floor plan to make living in an RV better. Found what we liked and although our 1 ton pulls it fine, it's a gas engine. I'm looking for a new truck that's a diesel. So my point is we had no idea we would be going South in the winter when we started RVing. At the time, we just wanted to go on weekend jaunts. So part of what we did was because we were ignorant and part was because our life plans changed.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
The first time I used my B&W slider, I damaged the the top plastic cap on my tailgate, so I now have a 5th wheel vented tailgate.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
"You sound like me. Had a truck, bought a camper. Not enough truck so I bought a new truck. Then upgraded and bought a new camper, not enough truck again. Bought a new truck. Upgraded the camper again, not enough truck all over again. Now I'm searching for a new truck. I told my better half that this is it. Love it, Like it or hate it. We're done going down this spiral. When I get a new truck, that will be it barring a catastrophe of some sort. We did everything back asswords and have payed dearly because of it."

And this is why newbies should come to this forum before buying anything! A lot buy a half ton then come asking what camper; or they buy a heavy camper asking what half ton they should get. Many don't want to hear us recommend a one ton for a TT because WE know they will be upgrading after a year or two.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Brad_IN wrote:
Thanks for all of the insight. It is much appreciated. What I have discovered is that when I first upgraded to a 5th wheel 5 years ago I have learned more in the last day trying to understand the hitches better than before. You are right about the tailgate it will cut that up like no other, I wish I had a pic of my Chevy to share but Iโ€™m sure you all have seen that mistake before. What is odd is that I canโ€™t find my Lippert specs online , because they seem to use the same model number 1621 (which I suspect that is due to the mounting to the camper) but canโ€™t find the item number anywhere. I wish I had a 5th wheel with the nose cut down for sharp turns. Maybe itโ€™s time to get a new camper for the new truck!
You sound like me. Had a truck, bought a camper. Not enough truck so I bought a new truck. Then upgraded and bought a new camper, not enough truck again. Bought a new truck. Upgraded the camper again, not enough truck all over again. Now I'm searching for a new truck. I told my better half that this is it. Love it, Like it or hate it. We're done going down this spiral. When I get a new truck, that will be it barring a catastrophe of some sort. We did everything back asswords and have payed dearly because of it.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
and too much slide you could contact the tailgate, moving pinbox back.

Yes! Can and will tear up your gate. Learned this the first day I brought my 5th wheel home and my Ram. Never happened with my old Chevy and 5th wheel.

I just came up with a couple small lengths of chains with carabiners to hold the gate open +/- 6" when the hitch is slid back. Problem solved.

Also, another vote for the B/W hitch. Great product but watchout.... the slider is heavy!

Brad_IN
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the insight. It is much appreciated. What I have discovered is that when I first upgraded to a 5th wheel 5 years ago I have learned more in the last day trying to understand the hitches better than before. You are right about the tailgate it will cut that up like no other, I wish I had a pic of my Chevy to share but Iโ€™m sure you all have seen that mistake before. What is odd is that I canโ€™t find my Lippert specs online , because they seem to use the same model number 1621 (which I suspect that is due to the mounting to the camper) but canโ€™t find the item number anywhere. I wish I had a 5th wheel with the nose cut down for sharp turns. Maybe itโ€™s time to get a new camper for the new truck!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Having the short bed Ram truck. When I bought the truck I already had a 18K Reese slider, it has 10" of movement to the rear. I went with the adapter to fit the pucks to attach the Reese. I would not want to go back any further then 10" . I would think it all depends on the length of your pin box. Some have had to go as far as trimming the corners off the back of the pin box. I have towed two different fifth wheels with the same setup, never been a cab clearance ,but I have never tried 90 degrees either.

The easiest ,and cheapest thing to do is go with the adapter, using your existing hitch , does not sound like with your pin box placement the cab clearance is an issue, especially if you have a newer fifth wheel with the rounded corners. I have no cab clearance issues even in the tow position with the Reese being 2" forward of axle center.

As said by others ,its going to be a tailgate issue at some point sliding the hitch back, and that mostly as said depends on the length of that pin box. I can measure the length of my existing pin box which is a Lippert , and compare it with a friends MorRyde pin box which I had on my previous fifth wheel. My thinking is the MorRyde is a shorter pin box then this Lippert, but neither was a problem.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Brad, the only thing I would be very careful of with any slider used in the Ram truck is to make sure the king pin isn't going to hit the tailgate when the hitch is in the rear position for backing. That was my biggest concern and the reason I opted for the Reese Sidewinder. I happened across a video where a guy had to take the tailgate off to avoid contact as part of his procedure. I don't remember what kind of slider hitch he had or how much travel there was but it's something to keep in mind.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, puck system best option to date. Admit...I am a fan of B&W, but you will love the ease of operation, the solid build, the fit/finish, the quiet operation, and the safe use, when jaws are wrapped, handle closed, pin in handle, you are good to go. The cam action jaws always allow hookup/release even on uneven ground, truck twisted to trailer.

Jerry

Brad_IN
Explorer
Explorer
What I am really liking about that B&W I can get the one that mounts in the pucks and I can finally get full bed access without rails.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The B&W slider for Ram pucks would be a great choice! It does have 2"s for/aft movement. IMO, a huge upgrade from your current hitch.

Jerry

Brad_IN
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rob!
I currently have a Pro Series slider with the 10โ€ slide (well would still need to install it in the new truck if I chose to stay with it ). From what I am hearing I am thinking if I went with something like the B+W Slider which has 12โ€ travel plus my kingpin is in front of my camper nose approximately 6โ€ that in combination should get me the clearance on my 8โ€™ wide camper.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Jerry is right. I have a Ram short bed 3500. If you need a true 90 degrees, you'll need a slider or a pivoting pin box like the Reese Sidewinder which is what I went with. Ram makes the shortest of what they now call the "standard" box.