cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Newbie" with possible structural issue.

vetplus40
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I posted this on another forum, but wanted to part here as well. As a total "newbie", I am interested in getting as much info as possible. At the onset, allow me to say "thank you" in advance for helping newcomers like mywself.

I just bought a 2011 30 foot Forest River 5th wheel. I bought it before I felt that I was ready, but it had the floor plan that I wanted, and I was concerend that it would last long with spring approaching. That said, while climbing underneath the unit to route my water line, I bumped into a piece of angle iron bracing that connects two long angle iron braces that run the width of the unit about midway and about five feet apart, and discovered it wasnt welded on both ends. I check two more pieces and both of those were not welded on both ends either. I checked the loose end to see if the weld might have broken, but found on visible signs of a weld on any of the three pieces.

I cannot imagine why these pieces were only welded on one end. If this indeed an oversight, the unit made it out of the manufacturers "quality control" and th edealer that I bought it from didn't catch ot either. Is there any reason that three pieces of angle bracing under the unit would only be welded on one end?

That said, being inexperienced,I thought I would seek input from seasoned rv'ers.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
vetplus40 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I work on the road and have limited internet access and cannot post pics from work. That said, I will try and post them from someplace with wifi.

These look like simple braces that add stability to what I would call floor braces.I don't see any possibility of anything collapsing as these pieces dont actually support anything. For some reason, this section of the unit did not have the black underlayment material on it, or I would have never seen it.

The fact that this wasnt caught does not speak well for Forsaet River quality control. Nor does it speak well for the dealer who supposidly put it through a three day test and inspection.

Call Lippert(frame manufacturer) with year, make, model and S/N and see what they can tell you.

Customer Service
Email: customerservice@lci1.com
Phone: 574-537-8900
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
It was by sheerest coincidence that I found my broken cross-brace. I cut the underbelly open in just the right place to do a plumbing job.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“The fact that this wasnt caught does not speak well for Forsaet River quality control.”

No. It speaks OF Forest River quality control.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

vetplus40
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I work on the road and have limited internet access and cannot post pics from work. That said, I will try and post them from someplace with wifi.

These look like simple braces that add stability to what I would call floor braces.I don't see any possibility of anything collapsing as these pieces dont actually support anything. For some reason, this section of the unit did not have the black underlayment material on it, or I would have never seen it.

The fact that this wasnt caught does not speak well for Forsaet River quality control. Nor does it speak well for the dealer who supposidly put it through a three day test and inspection.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like cross braces not welded. Get it fixed immediately or it might collapse.

I discovered a broken cross-brace on mine last year but it has a lot of miles. Yours is a factory defect.

BTW, I had a really good dealer that fixed a lot of stuff on my 5er.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Don't count on any dealer doing anything to a trailer until after it's sold and only then when the new owner finds a discrepancy.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
May have been part of the jig to build the structure.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your prepurchase inspection didn’t catch these items?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you post a picture for us?
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~