cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Selling FW Hitch

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Our camper was unfortunately caught up in a flood and totaled. We have decided to down grade back to a TT for the time being, and knowing we'll have it the next few years at very minimum, I think i'm going to sell my hitch.

Am I expected to remove the rails from my PU bed when selling, or in most cases does the hitch go and the rails stay?

My rails are bolted in from the inside of the bed, but the mounts are welded to my truck frame.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
16 REPLIES 16

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dapperdan wrote:
I sold two hitches over the years. Both instances the guys buying the hitches never even questioned me about rails, both guys already had rails in their trucks.

Now I have the B & W puck system in my RAM and have NO desire to sell this hitch! Best hitch I've ever owned! :B

Dan

Dan hauls a "LITTLE" DRV with his RAM and B&W :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I sold two hitches over the years. Both instances the guys buying the hitches never even questioned me about rails, both guys already had rails in their trucks.

Now I have the B & W puck system in my RAM and have NO desire to sell this hitch! Best hitch I've ever owned! :B

Dan

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
thirtydaZe wrote:
Our camper was unfortunately caught up in a flood and totaled. We have decided to down grade back to a TT for the time being, and knowing we'll have it the next few years at very minimum, I think i'm going to sell my hitch.

Am I expected to remove the rails from my PU bed when selling, or in most cases does the hitch go and the rails stay?

My rails are bolted in from the inside of the bed, but the mounts are welded to my truck frame.

Don’t have an answer but I am curious is the welding mentioned on your 16 RAM?

yes, 2016 Ram 3500 srw crew cab.

I don't have any clue. It's a pro series 20k. I don't know a heck of a lot about it, but there are 4 brackets welded to my frame, 2 on each side of the truck.

Council Hitch is said to be the most reputable place to have hitch work done in the area, perhaps they can shed some insight?
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Sold the Andersen, no rails. The guy had a slider and wanted to replace it with Andersen, so he already had rails in his truck.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Strange that anyone would weld brackets on a 2016 RAM 3500 when it came with the puck brackets already on the frame. RAM advises against welding on these new frames.

The pucks are fairly easy to add. I installed my pucks and wiring for an inbed 7 pin outlet in 4-4.5 hours working by myself!

X2!
I would rather add the puck system than put rails in the bed!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Strange that anyone would weld brackets on a 2016 RAM 3500 when it came with the puck brackets already on the frame. RAM advises against welding on these new frames.

The pucks are fairly easy to add. I installed my pucks and wiring for an inbed 7 pin outlet in 4-4.5 hours working by myself!

I asked about the welding without an answer so far.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

eurojet
Explorer
Explorer
Sold just my hitch , no rails with it. 🙂

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a used Reese Hitch almost brand new for 300 bucks on CL and it did not have the rails no big deal to me I just bought new Universal ones for 100 bucks and installed them myself and I am thinking for how cheap 5th wheel hitches go for used most do not care if they have to buy the rails
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
10 bolt universal rails are cheap enough for anyone to replace. Personally, I wouldn’t want used ones since they take the brunt of the load. I’d just leave them the since you will have the holes in you bed either way.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
The buyer wanted my rails when he bought the hitch. I had the hitch off and he removed the rails. Hope you get more than I did for mine ($100.00)

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the buyer want the rails? You could remove them if you wish but leave the brackets. I wouldn't want them welded on, it might compromise the frame strength

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our Anderson Ultimate, we sold our old hitch on craigslist without the rails. It sold in 2 days and the guy showed up to pick it up from 4 hours away. He had cash in hand.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the rails are a universal fit, which many are, I'd say it's up to you the seller, if you want to include them in the sale. If they are a more specific design that is made for just your brand/model hitch, then IMO, they should stay with the hitch.

Jerry