cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality control?

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
We spent last 2 weekends looking at new 5th wheels. Both brands we were looking at had numerous issues, from slides not working to torn vinyl flooring, seals on slides and trim hanging, to valances that had fallen. I would think the manufacturers would want things being gone over before either leaving the factory or before being shown at dealerships. Both were higher end RVs...I don't get it. I would estimate that out all of the RVs we looked at, more then half had issues.
25 REPLIES 25

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Sure it would be repaired, but only after they knew they had a sale, and it would be on your time more than likely. That's how it's done. The manufacturer does a bad job or an incomplete job. The Dealer accepts it when it's delivered. The dealer then submits a warranty ticket once they sell it so they can get paid to repair it or finish the build. Where the buyer gets screwed over is if the repair requires parts and the dealer does not provide them or the factory insists on providing them. Then it may take weeks or months. The dealer will probably try and get you to take the unit and then return at some point to have the repairs done. By then the buyer is at the back of the service line as warranty repairs pay the dealer less than an off yhe street service customer. Good luck with that.

The RV Industry is rotten from the top to the bottom.

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
The one prefaced it prior to us going in, saying they had issues they still needed to work on. The other said it shouldn't have been like that, however would be repaired prior to being sold.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What did the dealer say when you told them the RVs presented as junkers?

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Very True...It should start with sales reps learning their products.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
As long as American buyers continue to accept mediocrity as the norm, nothing will ever change.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Yes. if things keep going like they’re going now, my next fifth wheel will have to be bottom of the barrel for $120,000
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that "Higher End" is fast approaching $200K
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Pbutler97 wrote:
Old news.

What surprises me is only 1/2 of what you looked at had issues, that tells me you didn't look hard enough. The RV Industry produces junk across the board. "High end" means nothing. The term Quality Control does not exist in the RV Industry's vocabulary except for BS they put on brochures and websites. The kicker is they've gotten worse over the last 2-4 years, which took a lot of work.

I agree about old news. I entered a tiffin MH years ago with a side door entry and first thing that caught my eye was a L shaped kitchen cabinet was so out of plumb the part on the driver's side was tight to the ceiling and went down quickly towards the front so the side on the inside wall matched the same issue. Touching at the bottom of the wall and big gap at the top. I have installed many cabinets, so I eye always looks for goof ups. I have helped MH friends' for year's repair inside issues and cheap was most of the reasons 20 winters of 6 month stays so I was a favorite of many. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure there were more issues. One of the brands we looked at 3 units, and all 3 had issues. When I was referring to high end, I was referencing what the industry considers high end at $100K+ 5th wheels.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Old news.

What surprises me is only 1/2 of what you looked at had issues, that tells me you didn't look hard enough. The RV Industry produces junk across the board. "High end" means nothing. The term Quality Control does not exist in the RV Industry's vocabulary except for BS they put on brochures and websites. The kicker is they've gotten worse over the last 2-4 years, which took a lot of work.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Name some names!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD