cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing advice?

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
We're shopping for a new fifth wheel and I'm trying to figure out how much below MSRP we can reasonably expect to be able to make a deal in the current economy?

Any advice would be appreciated.
29 REPLIES 29

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
I think we're committed to go. I am waiting a bit to see what happens with truck/supply line issues into the Fall. My retirement present to me is going to be a new GMC 3500HD, but I won't buy one if they keep delivering them with missing options.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
FootSoldier,
My wife and I are 75 and purchased a Dodge dually and 42' 5th wheel 3 months ago.
Don't worry about the physical part of setting up, the newer 5th wheels mostly just require pushing buttons. We push buttons to operate slides, awnings, leveling jacks and even the power cord reel.
We're fulltimers and move about once a week (we like new scenery)(boondocking for 2 weeks then a park for a week). And setting up and tearing down are no big deal.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
FootSoldier wrote:
We're shopping for a new fifth wheel and I'm trying to figure out how much below MSRP we can reasonably expect to be able to make a deal in the current economy?

Any advice would be appreciated.

What you get off below MythicalSRP, if anything, will quickly be absorbed by higher fuel prices and then some, so just go for it. Even though sales have to be falling off due to current economic realities, do not expect many discounts with building materials and steel going up daily, along with transportation costs for everything used when building a new RV.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
FootSoldier wrote:
Likes to tow wrote:
On June 1st reservations for June 1st 2023 season opened up and I forgot to go online to secure my favorite WV park campsites. On June 2nd I remembered to do it and was shocked to find almost all the "good sites" were already booked!!! So in just 24 hours everyone made plans for 2023 June and things got scarce quickly. People are still camping but not going as far. We have canceled our trip to Colorado this year due to fuel prices and availability of fuel. Things are really spooky right now and it's very unclear how things will shake out in November. I'd be very cautious of making a major purchase on any type of RV. All we can see on TV are EV (electric vehicle) ads. Ford is even making a major plunge on electrifying their most popular vehicle, the F150. Significant major adjustments are coming to America and things never seen before are happening right in front of our eyes. The ability to pull a big 5th wheel with an EV is doubtful. RV's may get really small in the future. Those little Tear Drop trailers may be the wave of the future. Unless you are loaded with cash, be cautious!! Don't get stuck with a dinosaur you can't use.

It does feel like we're late to the party. I could have retired earlier, but I just wasn't ready. Now we'll have a different kind of uncertainty to deal with, but I think it will work out.

Another observation I have witnessed in recent years. Smaller RV trailers are much easier to tow and thus more people have a vehicle to do so. When selling them you get more interest and quicker response. I would highly recommend you start out with a late model used trailer until you have tested the waters and determine if this is for you.

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Jerry wrote:
"Seventy...and retirement not far off"? It's too late man! No one can tow cross country after seventy! Maybe a van camper, if you retire immediately

Maybe Jerry is pulling my leg. Anyway he gets a rise out of me. I won't even try to go back to the young age of 70, but here is a report of my years since my age of 77 (only major trips included)

2009 Age 77 East Texas to San Diego, CA back by Utah & Colorado
4128 miles
2010 Age 78 Grand Teton/Yellowstone 3259 miles
2011 Age 79 East Texas to Maine Return via Savannah 4290 miles
2012 Age 80 Hamilton, Ontario and Niagara Falls 3020 miles
2013 Age 81 Glacier NP Return via Colorado 5442 miles
2016 Age 84 Grand Teton again Rocky Montain NP 3307 miles
2017 Age 85 Bannf and Rocky Mountains 4556 miles
I'll skip over to:
2021 Age 89 Boondock to Taos, NM; Silverton CO 2021 miles
including portion of Million Dollar Highway again.

Total mileage since 2002 107,645

I will turn 90 in October and may never take another long RV trip.

But this should be enough to encourage a still young Footsoldier.

If I could do half as much, I would be very proud!

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
^^Not to hijack, but just wanted to say "padredw is the rv.net HERO OF THE MONTH!!

Congrats, your golden age travels are an inspiration for the 70 year old kid. (OP)

Jerry

AMEN!!!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^Not to hijack, but just wanted to say "padredw is the rv.net HERO OF THE MONTH!!

Congrats, your golden age travels are an inspiration for the 70 year old kid. (OP)

Jerry

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Jerry wrote:
"Seventy...and retirement not far off"? It's too late man! No one can tow cross country after seventy! Maybe a van camper, if you retire immediately

Maybe Jerry is pulling my leg. Anyway he gets a rise out of me. I won't even try to go back to the young age of 70, but here is a report of my years since my age of 77 (only major trips included)

2009 Age 77 East Texas to San Diego, CA back by Utah & Colorado
4128 miles
2010 Age 78 Grand Teton/Yellowstone 3259 miles
2011 Age 79 East Texas to Maine Return via Savannah 4290 miles
2012 Age 80 Hamilton, Ontario and Niagara Falls 3020 miles
2013 Age 81 Glacier NP Return via Colorado 5442 miles
2016 Age 84 Grand Teton again Rocky Montain NP 3307 miles
2017 Age 85 Bannf and Rocky Mountains 4556 miles
I'll skip over to:
2021 Age 89 Boondock to Taos, NM; Silverton CO 2021 miles
including portion of Million Dollar Highway again.

Total mileage since 2002 107,645

I will turn 90 in October and may never take another long RV trip.

But this should be enough to encourage a still young Footsoldier.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heading to Bristol 29 June then up along the WV side of the Ohio river 7th or 8th of July. Don't anticipate any campground shortage especially in WV since Biden sent all the oil field workers home from up that way.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Likes to tow wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Just made a trip up through WV and had no trouble getting camp sites at New River, Morgantown, Winchester VA, and near Cass. I was in Fl in Jan and Myrtle Beach in March and had no trouble finding camp sites. Most of the time we called a couple of days in advance. Thinking about making a run up to Cleveland to Rock&Roll hall of fame soon. I don't use Sate parks etc only commercial spots.

Private campgrounds are a totally different perspective. The pristine great camping spots in state and national forests are booked all summer. Jan thru April camping anywhere is usually not a problem.

I can remember 40yr ago as a kid, getting into state & national parks mid summer was a challenge if you weren't flexible. Nothing new about it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
Likes to tow wrote:
On June 1st reservations for June 1st 2023 season opened up and I forgot to go online to secure my favorite WV park campsites. On June 2nd I remembered to do it and was shocked to find almost all the "good sites" were already booked!!! So in just 24 hours everyone made plans for 2023 June and things got scarce quickly. People are still camping but not going as far. We have canceled our trip to Colorado this year due to fuel prices and availability of fuel. Things are really spooky right now and it's very unclear how things will shake out in November. I'd be very cautious of making a major purchase on any type of RV. All we can see on TV are EV (electric vehicle) ads. Ford is even making a major plunge on electrifying their most popular vehicle, the F150. Significant major adjustments are coming to America and things never seen before are happening right in front of our eyes. The ability to pull a big 5th wheel with an EV is doubtful. RV's may get really small in the future. Those little Tear Drop trailers may be the wave of the future. Unless you are loaded with cash, be cautious!! Don't get stuck with a dinosaur you can't use.

It does feel like we're late to the party. I could have retired earlier, but I just wasn't ready. Now we'll have a different kind of uncertainty to deal with, but I think it will work out.

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
FootSoldier wrote:
Considering that getting the right tow rig is something of a challenge right now as well, we might need to pump the brakes on this.

I suppose I'm feeling a little like the window of opportunity for me might be narrowing some too. I turn 70 soon and retirement is not far off. So, I have begun wondering how long I might be able to run a big rig around the country? I guess we'll see?

Maybe things will get a little more clear by the end of the year?

"Seventy...and retirement not far off"? It's too late man! No one can tow cross country after seventy! Maybe a van camper, if you retire immediately. :B

Jerry

Baaaahhhaaa! LOL!

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Just made a trip up through WV and had no trouble getting camp sites at New River, Morgantown, Winchester VA, and near Cass. I was in Fl in Jan and Myrtle Beach in March and had no trouble finding camp sites. Most of the time we called a couple of days in advance. Thinking about making a run up to Cleveland to Rock&Roll hall of fame soon. I don't use Sate parks etc only commercial spots.

Private campgrounds are a totally different perspective. The pristine great camping spots in state and national forests are booked all summer. Jan thru April camping anywhere is usually not a problem.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Camping availability tightens up in Summer. May is usually better. Try going back to the sites you stayed at and see if they have any available on weekends during the summer.