cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank compartment

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed today that the propane tank compartments on my fifth-wheel are completely open on the bottom. With the landing gear coming straight up next to the tanks it looks like a mouse ladder right up inside the front compartment.
Has anyone mouse proofed the propane compartment? How did you do it.
It looks like it would be fairly simple to do. Get some wire screen cut holes for the landing gear and propane hose and use gorilla tape to hold it in place.
The propane hose would be the hardest part to do. You would have to make it mouse proof and also prevent the wire screen from wearing on the hose.
7 REPLIES 7

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all... Glad I read this discussion . I will check my propane compartment and see if it is sealed off from the the front basement . .. I have not had a problem with mice in the 5th wheel in the 3 years I have owned it. Storage site is rocky and on slope . Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
If the landing gear has grease on the tubes the mice can't climb up.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
The propane compartments are open to the front compartment straight across. I plan on using some type of SS screen and anti mouse expanded foam to complete this project. The propane compartments will still be open.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you back holes with SS screen or steel wook mice will chew through regular spray foam. They really seem to love the stuff. Great Stuff makes a line of rodent proof foam that is much better, but again it needs a backer of something to completely stop critters. Remember a mouse only needs a hole the diameter of a quarter to get in.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
It seems you described how mine was constructed. As others referenced my propane compartment is completely sealed from the rest of the RV cept the bottom is open.

My landing struts come up into the front compartment adjacent to the propane compartment. I had big adz space where the struts came up into the basement compartment. I filled with foam and used a serrated knife to shape it up the next day.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Propane compartment should be sealed from interior spaces.

Really if mice want in, you aren't keeping them out.

Keep it clean with no food and toss some mothballs in the hatches over the winter and you should be good to go without rube goldberg attempts to keep them out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane is heavier then air hence the open area under the propane cylinders
Is your front compartment area open to the propane compartment?
Propane compartment should NOT be open to any other compartment due to possible propane leaks.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31