cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with B&W Hitch

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled in to my campsite and tried to release my B&W 18K Patriot hitch and it will not free the pin. I must have damaged the mechanism as the release bar will pull back BUT the jaws stay fixed on the pin. I tried a gentle "push back and pull forward" but no go. I am dead level and straight and did take pressure off with extended front legs. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. P.S. I am waiting a call back from a local RV Doc but I likely need a "hitch" service.
73 REPLIES 73

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Me Again wrote:
GHop wrote:
Was looking at this hitch to replace my current Husky hitch due to the weight. After reading this I'll keep what I have until it requires replacement.

Don't let one users latch of knowledge about using his B&W hitch stop you from purchasing one of the best hitches on the market. Chris

x2!!!

Lyle

x2, been using mine for 5+ seasons. Not one glitch. If I based all my decisions on somebody's one time failure I wouldn't own nothing.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
GHop wrote:
Was looking at this hitch to replace my current Husky hitch due to the weight. After reading this I'll keep what I have until it requires replacement.

Don't let one users latch of knowledge about using his B&W hitch stop you from purchasing one of the best hitches on the market. Chris

x2!!!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
GHop wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
G.H.

dadnjesse
Explorer
Explorer
I use this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q8TWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I step up on the top of the outside tire to reach the hitch, then after moving the arm open... i can usually roll the truck forward with my weight...sounds funny...but on level ground it's not hard to do...a little more pressure with my left foot and the truck moves forward...then I don't need to pin the lever...but like racer4 said...sometimes you have to pin the lever open.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember right, you made your step. I like it. If I could buy a bolt on step like that, I would be interested.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I will say, with a dually it is a pain to reach far enough to get the pin in the other hole. It would be a big improvement to have an easier method to lock/unlock the coupler arm. "

Never have used the other hole to pin the handle open. This step will make it much easier.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
wallaceb wrote:
Update: I went through all the motions again and raised the camper a little bit more, had the DW hold the release bar full open and this time it finally released. I dropped and reattached three times to be sure and then drove to a B&W dealer and had them give it the once over. They said it is good to go and sometimes "it just happens" so ALL IS GOOD !! Thank you all for your help. Travel save and travel far.

So you never took the release arm locking pin and placed it in the hole that keeps the arm open...like i suggested before?

From the B&W manual:

"Lower landing gear and block the trailer wheels.
Raise the trailer until the tongue weight is removed
from the truck. Then, unpin the Coupler handle and
rotate to the open position to unlatch the jaws. If the
jaws do not open, readjusting the landing gear may
relieve pressure and allow them to open. Use the
safety pin to lock the handle in the open position and
when you are sure that the landing gear will support
the trailer, move the truck forward to release the
jaws from the kingpin. The jaws will always open
when the pressure of the trailer is taken off the
coupler as the truck pulls away"

X2 on Learjet's point.

Usually the coupler handle will stay open enough, that it makes no difference if it is pinned open. Other times the handle doesn't stay open far enough for the jaws to release. So the pin must go in the other hole to keep the arm open. More experience will show the difference.

I will say, with a dually it is a pain to reach far enough to get the pin in the other hole. It would be a big improvement to have an easier method to lock/unlock the coupler arm.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
wallaceb wrote:
Update: I went through all the motions again and raised the camper a little bit more, had the DW hold the release bar full open and this time it finally released. I dropped and reattached three times to be sure and then drove to a B&W dealer and had them give it the once over. They said it is good to go and sometimes "it just happens" so ALL IS GOOD !! Thank you all for your help. Travel save and travel far.

All is good ?? Maybe ,until next time ,solve your problems with those monster heavy hitches, and go to an Andersen hitch

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
wallaceb wrote:

So you never took the release arm locking pin and placed it in the hole that keeps the arm open...like i suggested before?

From the B&W manual:

"Lower landing gear and block the trailer wheels.
Raise the trailer until the tongue weight is removed
from the truck. Then, unpin the Coupler handle and
rotate to the open position to unlatch the jaws. If the
jaws do not open, readjusting the landing gear may
relieve pressure and allow them to open. Use the
safety pin to lock the handle in the open position and
when you are sure that the landing gear will support
the trailer, move the truck forward to release the
jaws from the kingpin. The jaws will always open
when the pressure of the trailer is taken off the
coupler as the truck pulls away"
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that all is good. Enjoy your vacation!
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You just need to hold your tongue just right!

A call to B&W is the best medicine!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Binkley head has similar jaws with a block that keeps them closed vs B&W dual cam. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021