cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with B&W Hitch

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled in to my campsite and tried to release my B&W 18K Patriot hitch and it will not free the pin. I must have damaged the mechanism as the release bar will pull back BUT the jaws stay fixed on the pin. I tried a gentle "push back and pull forward" but no go. I am dead level and straight and did take pressure off with extended front legs. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. P.S. I am waiting a call back from a local RV Doc but I likely need a "hitch" service.
73 REPLIES 73

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
As someone else said. Having the TV pulling forward slightly on the trailer allows the jaws to open when the dual cam lock swings around to be parallel to the front extensions of jaws. If the trailer is pushing forward on the TV then the latch arm will not stay open, unless it is pinned or tie back in the open position.

The B&W mechanism is different than most other hitches. There are no latches to release. The dual cam on the inter end of the release handle is cross wise to the front jaw extension when it is locked, blocking the jaws from opening. When the handle is swung to the release position, the jaws will open when the king pin puts pressure on them. Remember the handle is spring loaded in favor of being lock. So to release the king pin there needs to be pressure pulling back on the jaws as the handle swings to the release position, or held or tied to the open position. Other wise the spring just closes it again, allowing the dual cam to block the jaws from opening.

Chris

The dual cam is the smaller center pin you see on the turn table in this picture. The two jaws have forward extensions. When the cams are cross wise the jaws will not open, when the handle is swung to the open position, the jaws can pivot on their pins(the two larger ones.

I would also note that if the trailer is lifted to high off the turn table then the bottom flange of the king pin would pull up against the jaws, making them hard to open.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MrRetired821
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a couple of times where my B&W hitch would not release. I found that like someone else said on your post that moving forward just a inch of two will cause something to change and it will release after that.
Now before I try to unhook my final move is forward and no problems since.
good luck
Smokey&Bobbye

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for info. I did try calling B&W and sending a message via their "chat" link. But it was after 5 pm CST so I will wait for them this AM. Second I tried virtually all the suggestions except pulling the "hitch head off". I am not sure I want to do that minus my toolbox. There is a B&W dealer locally, I will try them when they open this AM.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
i beleive you may find it easier to work on and manipulate if the truck is out of the way. If I were you, I'd get into position where I could remove the pins for the hitch head and then lift it off the base (while still attached to the 5er), then pull the truck out of the way. This will give you more access to the mechanisms and you may be able to get it freed up mor easily.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Had that happen a couple of times because I tried to pull away without unlatching. I use a bungee cord to pull the lever fully back and it comes unhitched when I pull forward.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
did you pin the handle in the open position...then tried to pull forward with the handled pined open?

The locking pin can be used to pin the handle open...if you open the handle you will see the hole near the middle of the hitch.

Unless the cam has failed, if the handle is pinned open and you pull forward it should release any binding in the jaws.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some spray lube is called for, that may help free it up. But I don't understand why you haven't called B&W tech support.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
My Companion hitch has a couple of springs in the hitch head. Assuming the Patriot is similar, I wonder if one of yours is broken. Assuming the weight truly is off (hitch head should wiggle) and rocking doesn’t work, I would carefully try to pry the jaws apart. Obviously keep your fingers clear.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Handle is moving BUT jaws stay closed around pin. I tried the "push/pull" with handle open, tried raising the trailer to take pressure off the hitch, tried to pry the jaws apart. Still looking for options.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be able to drive out with the handle in the open position even with the jaws still closed.

Something about the cam action design.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

dadnjesse
Explorer
Explorer
If its like my companion when the release handle moves then the jaws are opening, my experience when that happens I need to put my legs down more, plus you could have someone hold it open and pull slowly forward.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had my Companion be recalcitrant a couple times and it was because the hitch wasn't either completely unloaded, or it was a slight angle and not unloaded that way.

If the weight is off the hitch, try pulling forward just a touch and pull the handle. Sometimes a little forward/backward load on the hitch will help the jaws release.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call B&W support, they are quite responsive from what I hear.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Can you stick a piece of wood or such in the opening and hit one side of the jaws. Maybe it's just stuck. I'd give it a couple light taps to see if it will loosen up a bit.
I have a 16K Patriot and several times I've pulled the release bar and it doesn't go all the way forward. Only partially. I pull the truck forward and it releases.