cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Management Panel standard on 50A configurations?

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Folks,
We're getting closer to pulling the trigger on a new RV. We're looking at bunkhouse models with 50a service. I've become aware of the concept of a power management panel which allows management / selection of power applications when using 30A. Specifically I've seen these in the Grand Design Momentum lines.

Is this something that's standard on mid-level RVs equipped with 50A power. If not, is this something that can be added after-market at a reasonable cost (<$500)?

To help put our search in perspective we're looking at Open Range, Grand Design and Keystone Montana High Country.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about other brands but Heartland uses a management system on the higher end trailers. It is not retrofittable nor is it field programmable. Might check into that on what you are looking at. A friends Class A has a management system and it also is not programmable.

For the cost the best management system is between your ears. My 2 cents.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

DanB-ON
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to be very common in trailers with 3 air conditioners as even on 50 amps 3 air conditioners can be too much. If you don't have 3 air conditioners and are often plugged into 50A I don't think you should really need it.
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
2016 Vengeance Touring Edition 39R12

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Grand Design 385TH with the same feature. It allows the system to shed loads on a priority basis on less-than-50A service connections. One nice thing is that you can see what various loads are drawing.

I have seen similar systems before, but I don't remember what specific brands were using them.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
I can't answer your exact question.
I was recently in a similar situation. I was looking at Montana High Country and Open Range.
For some reason Grand Design could not draw me in for a closer look.
We ended up purchasing an Open Range Roamer 367BHS. Picked it up last weekend, and have spent 2 nights in it already.
So far zero problems.
We love that it is relatively short, but big at the same time.
The other models we were looking at were 3'-6'longer. Trying to stay as short as possible was initially what drew us to this floorplan. I also liked the 7k axles on a trailer with a 14,600 GVWR.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD