cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pin box

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Atwood 77 degree pin box, it is currently mounted as low as it vill go with the bolts in bottom holes then a clear row and bolts in third row. I am considering lowering one more row so bolts will be in bottom and next row, but this doesnโ€™t live much in the connection, is this ok or not.
What do you think.
Thanks Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.
8 REPLIES 8

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jerry that is exactly what I am looking at doing, must be ok by the look of it.
Thanks everyone.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Borrowed this from BurbMan, so others can better understand your intention.

You are currently using top row of holes, and bottom row, but are contemplating doing what is pictured. Should work okay.

Jerry

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
No same amount of bolts 4 each side to at top and 2at bottom, just closer together and not as much overlap, about 3-4โ€
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frame bolts are the way to go.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP would need to increase shear strength of four bolts over six bolts.
Yes, grade eight bolts are more brittle than softer bolts.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
No on Grade 8 bolts. Read up on them

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like you are saying you will have only four bolts, rather than the six.
I would check what grade of volts you have. I would upgrade bolts to grade eight if they are not already.
Might even increase to one size larger.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey Frank...if I am getting a clear picture (without a pic), you will still have the same amount of bolts fastening. The bolts will be closer together, with the pin lower in the side supports.

I think this will work, if you are using a conventional hitch, and don't have a huge pin wt. IMO, this arrangement would remove a bit of strength, especially backing tight, with added side torque.

Try it, watch for any extra movement, or loosening of bolts, or fit between uprights.

Jerry