cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pendant Lights

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that a lot of new 5th wheels use pendant lights in areas such as above a kitchen island. These lights are often on long slender rods up to 3 feet long. When you touch the lights they will wiggle around even with the trailer sitting still. I would imagine that they are vibrating all over the place as the trailer goes down the road. The sheet metal base of the lights is usually very thin and flexes like crazy as the light moves. It looks like something that would quickly fatigue, crack and fall off. Has anyone had any experience with these lights and their durability?
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL
14 REPLIES 14

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had one come loose in our Fuzion, and destroyed the threads because it wasn't noticed soon enough. I found it after I saw it hanging by the wires. The threads were too far gone to tighten up so JBWeld to the rescue. The other one is just fine. I replaced the bulbs with LED's and that was an improvement.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
8 months, almost 4000 miles, no issues with the lights. Grand Design 303 RLS. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We have had zero issues with ours and have been traveling for 9 months per year since we bought our rig new.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Had them in my last unit, only trouble I ever had was smacking my head while doing dishes. That's what being 6-2 gives me....
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
I bump into mine quite frequently, i assume that's more damaging than the road. I did have one wiggle loose and hang from the wire a couple times when we were new, but i think it's safe to say now, that issue has been resolved.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with ours in our Mobile Suites.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Hey those look just like our lights!! 🙂

Dan

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
3 years and 25k miles trouble free.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
I guess I've not stepped inside a new camper at the dealership or an RV show in about 3 years now. I've never seen these hanging lights before (in a camper of any kind). This is a first for me. From my observation of the photo above, this just looks like a failure to happen. I have a hanging light like this in my bedroom closet at home. It's a solid rod, and if you touch it, it still wiggles. I can't imagine the motion these must go through when on the road. Considering this is a 5er, has anyone ever actually rode in the camper when on the raod to see how much they actually move? If they move, in time, the metal will break. This just don't look practical in a moving trailer! Sorry, I'm a downer here. My brain is going .... "yuck!" on this one.

If you physically could see mine you would not have any concerns. MS has been using these for years and I have never heard of a problem.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our Mobile Suites for 7 years and had no problems whatsoever.

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have about 12,000 miles on our 5er.The hanging light over our kitchen cabinet has been flawless other than me putting the wrong led bulb in and blowing the fuse.Nothing broken or no readjusting on my part.FWIW.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I've not stepped inside a new camper at the dealership or an RV show in about 3 years now. I've never seen these hanging lights before (in a camper of any kind). This is a first for me. From my observation of the photo above, this just looks like a failure to happen. I have a hanging light like this in my bedroom closet at home. It's a solid rod, and if you touch it, it still wiggles. I can't imagine the motion these must go through when on the road. Considering this is a 5er, has anyone ever actually rode in the camper when on the raod to see how much they actually move? If they move, in time, the metal will break. This just don't look practical in a moving trailer! Sorry, I'm a downer here. My brain is going .... "yuck!" on this one.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
No issue with ours. The rod is actually about 20" long. Sure you can push them around but I never notice them moving.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Your observations are accurate. Two of our pendant lights broke near the pivot point at the ceiling so we have replaced the three of them with lights that are closer to the ceiling.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO