Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on 5th Wheels with Island Kitchens

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

My husband and I have been a Travel Trailer owner since 2004.

We are looking into the possibility of moving to a 5th Wheel.

As for floor plans I am most interested in the floor plan with an island kitchen. Although our plans do not include a large in length for a 5th wheel, we are looking at the ones that are 34ft and below.

Another feature that is appealing is the outdoor kitchen.

Some other important function features are the ability to access the bathroom and refrigerator while slide outs are in.

Looking at these floor plans would anyone like to share their pros and cons? What do you suggest we keep in mind as we look?

Manufacture of Grand Design keeps popping up when I do searches...Any suggestions on other manufactures?

We are planning on purchasing a used trailer, a 2018 and above in age. Ha,ha we say that now but you know how it is when you go to look 😉

Any advice is appreciated....obviously owning a TT since 2004 we have the basic of Rving down, but moving into a 5th Wheel is a new concept for us.

Thank you,
Denise
Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!
22 REPLIES 22

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Our Coachmen Brookstone 305RL has a center island. We both love it. Our old 5th kitchen was L shaped. We like the island more.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
2halfs wrote:
Hi,

My husband and I have been a Travel Trailer owner since 2004.

We are looking into the possibility of moving to a 5th Wheel.

As for floor plans I am most interested in the floor plan with an island kitchen. Although our plans do not include a large in length for a 5th wheel, we are looking at the ones that are 34ft and below.

Another feature that is appealing is the outdoor kitchen.

Some other important function features are the ability to access the bathroom and refrigerator while slide outs are in.

Looking at these floor plans would anyone like to share their pros and cons? What do you suggest we keep in mind as we look?

Manufacture of Grand Design keeps popping up when I do searches...Any suggestions on other manufactures?

We are planning on purchasing a used trailer, a 2018 and above in age. Ha,ha we say that now but you know how it is when you go to look 😉

Any advice is appreciated....obviously owning a TT since 2004 we have the basic of Rving down, but moving into a 5th Wheel is a new concept for us.

Thank you,
Denise

Denise, my #1 pick when I was shopping had an optional island that was counter and storage =only=; no sink. =My= plan was to get one =without= the island, then get a rolling cart that we could move as-needed to gain the same counter and storage space. I would have added small recessed d-rings in the floor to strap it down while traveling. It was the KZ Durango 1500 D284RLT which, sadly, they stopped making in 2018. I never was able to find one to lay eyes on but we lucked into a D277RLT which has a =peninsula= kitchen. Wife loves it, so that ended that search. 🙂 Well, that and a price that we simply couldn't pass up. Having the peninsula =does= mean that we have to move the street slide out a bit to access the fridge, but we also have a remote so can do so from the truck, if needed. The counter and storage space are, however, wonderful. Bathroom is fully accessible at all time. Both of these FWs are under 32' long.

KZ has 2 models in their "Half Ton" line that are < 34' that have islands. They are the D263RLT and the D283RLT. The 263 is listed as dealer stock only, so may be hard to find.

KZ is decent quality. IMO, GD is probably a bit better, overall, but I have no experience with GD.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
The island we have in our Big Country is fantastic! Very large ends to put/prep food and when sink covers are used a great buffet area. Not too much counter space besides stove. Sofa is on end like most floorpans and when it's deployed, we can still put a twin size air mattress between island and table. Access to fridge is ok via 1 side of doors (French door) w/ slides in. As others have said, it boils down to what you like/fits your needs best.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm the odd ball. Lol we had a 337RL 2015 Grand Design that we bought brand new and loved our kitchen island! Thst being said the biggest problem for us was when or adult kids and their families would come and visit no room for an extra inflatable mattress with the island there.. So when we went fulltime we downsized to a Grand design reflection 27RL and its 30'11" and hasn't got an island and we have so much more room. Our living area feels much more open and when we do have family visit besides the pullout bed in the couch we have enough room for inflatable queen mattress. Enjoy which ever 5th wheel u purchase.:)
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
WE-C-USA wrote:
2halfs, Denice, the Grand Design 303RLS, while it doesn't have the outdoor kitchen, will meet all your wants. Island, able to get to the frig & bathroom with slides in. A still at 32' 6" pin to ladder.

Agree 100%! We have the 303RLS and as stated we can use the bathroom and access the fridge without moving a slide. No outdoor kitchen but we did not want that feature.

Great storage for the two of us.

Safe travels!!

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
2halfs, Denice, the Grand Design 303RLS, while it doesn't have the outdoor kitchen, will meet all your wants. Island, able to get to the frig & bathroom with slides in. A still at 32' 6" pin to ladder.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2020 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5CKTS. So we have a kitchen island but no outdoor kitchen.

We absolutely love the island because in our old travel trailer we had NO counter space, now we have it for days. Because we have a single door fridge, not a residential, you have access to fridge and freezer with all the slides in.

Also, all of the Eagle HT FW's have a fully accessible upper deck with the slides closed. We love ours.
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Love/Hate relationship. Once camped.....absolutely love it. Additional counter space, more storage space. When traveling, it makes getting into the refrigerator impossible, without opening a slide! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

srdeane
Explorer
Explorer
I have an L-shaped island (technically a peninsula) in my 2009 Everest FW and love it. It gives me extra counter space that I truly appreciate. It works perfectly for the Nu Wave oven or Ninja Foodi and doesn't cramp me making the rest of the meal. We don't travel with the FW (we're in a seasonal spot) so it doesn't make any difference to us that the space isn't accessible when slides are in.

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Island on our latest trailer and really like it so far.
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Love the Island but would never own a "L" Island with one way in and out.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have a FW, purchased new in 2010 and purposely selected one without an island BECAUSE - we stop often at rest stops to eat or spend the night. With the slides in we can access the fridge, stove, sink, shower, toilet, and even get on the bed. If we had one with an island, either the sink or stove or partial fridge may not have been accessible. Before we purchased, we had all the dealers bring in the slides and out again for us so we can envision stopping over.

Prior to this FW, we had a TT that the fridge was behind the slide and the kitchen was not accessible due to an island that jutted out. We had to pack our lunch for traveling in a cooler and had to squeeze into the trailer to even sit on the recliners at a rest stop. We could get to the bathroom and bed though.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
We have an island kitchen in our fiver and love it. We cannot get to the fridge with the slides in, but 10 seconds pushing a button easily fixes that. We also frequently put our lunch in our Yeti cooler which eliminates the need to access the fridge in the trailer while travelling. This is not a big deal for us.

We can access the washroom with all of the slides in which is much more important! 😉
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We added a portable island on wheels to our big open kitchen. Since we both cook, it adds work space as well as storage.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot