cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion on fridge option

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are looking at upgrading our 5er. We have been looking at the Alpine 3700 / 3701. The difference being one comes with an 18 cubic ft rv fridge, gas and electric, the other comes with an 18 cubic foot electric fridge with an inverter. Not sure what the advantages one would have over the other. We rarely dry camp. Any thoughts? Thanks
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018
26 REPLIES 26

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Just another thought, I've read where people have had to remove the res frig from the camper themselves and take it in for warranty service as a reg frig service guy wouldn't work on it if was in an RV. Not sure as I wasn't there but I think it was on this forum that I read that...sounded like a total PITA!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I've enjoyed reading all the responses....we are looking to upgrade our current 5ver....and have decided we want the gas/propane version - even if Cedar Creek treats the residential fridge as the "normal" unit....all of the pros for the residential unit have NOT changed our minds....

Great discussion.

Mike
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Greydennyhawk wrote:
I can only offer is my opinion after having both types. The residential fridge has so much room, and keeps everything really cold, the Gas/absorption old style was small, and the freezer was kind of poor .
We have an inverter and 4x 6 V deep cycle batteries, and when fully charged, keep the refer running for about 15 hours. Then I need to start the generator and charge up again.
We have a system that involves day time charge up, and night time quiet times and don't open the refer door too often, using a small cooler outside for some beers or soda.
We love the residential refer!!

your report makes one sound like a PITA. my 4 door standard one with ice maker was plenty large and worked great.
bumpy

Maybe, Uncle Bump, but instead of just sugar coating things, I find it better to tell just my findings. A bunch of things can be a PITA when Boondocking, but that's what makes it fun for me!
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Sorry for the stupid question, but with a residential fridge, how is it powered driving down the road?
Off the house battery through an inverter which is probably the most common, shut off and rely on the food staying cold also seems to be very popular, or run a generator to power the fridge which is rare.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry for the stupid question, but with a residential fridge, how is it powered driving down the road?

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here, thanks for sharing all your opinions and experiences. I have enjoyed reading them all. This is what makes this forum so good. Everytime I think I have made up my mind someone post something new I think to myself, yeah that's a good point.
Here's some of my after thoughts.
So those that have the residential type love the performance.
But if you are going to dry camp you need some type of alternate electric source.
Those with the rv type like having the alternate power source and the performance is ok.
We typically camp at campgrounds and keep our unit plugged in when at home. I'm leaning toward the residential but I'd like to talk to some of the service reps are the dealership.
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Happier with a residential fridge if you donโ€™t dry camp/boondock.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobandvicki
Explorer
Explorer
We have a residential refrigerator that is electric and wish we had the option of gas. Whenever we boondock we have to run the generator to give power to the battery designated to the refrigerator. Have another battery for the lights, etc. When we lose power in the campground we do not have the option to just switch over to propane. Have to set up the portable generator again and reset the inverter. Bob and Vicki
2015 3500 RAM Diesel Longbed 4x4 Dually

2015 39ft Heartland Big Country 3650 5th Wheel

oakmandan
Explorer
Explorer
I sell 5th wheels, we do not order in residential fridges in our stock units. They are not built to take the abuse that is caused by towing. Getting someone to service it can be difficult too. Your 18 cu foot Norcold is the ticket.
Dan and Diann
Hank the Havanese
2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
2015 Ford F-250 FX-4 6.2 Gas
MORryde Step Above Steps
MORryde Pin Box

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Greydennyhawk wrote:
I can only offer is my opinion after having both types. The residential fridge has so much room, and keeps everything really cold, the Gas/absorption old style was small, and the freezer was kind of poor .
We have an inverter and 4x 6 V deep cycle batteries, and when fully charged, keep the refer running for about 15 hours. Then I need to start the generator and charge up again.
We have a system that involves day time charge up, and night time quiet times and don't open the refer door too often, using a small cooler outside for some beers or soda.
We love the residential refer!!

your report makes one sound like a PITA. my 4 door standard one with ice maker was plenty large and worked great.
bumpy

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
I disagree with the post about firm ice cream won't happen w/ a gas/elect fridge. Our old coach would freeze ice cream so hard, thought i was taking it out of a big house freezer at home. New RV has 18cu ft gas/elect and will admit it doesn't freeze IC like the old one did, but still a work in progress. Mat have to add a 12v fan at bottom on outside to aid in air movement.

The new would be a nevercold 2118 just like mine.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree with the post about firm ice cream won't happen w/ a gas/elect fridge. Our old coach would freeze ice cream so hard, thought i was taking it out of a big house freezer at home. New RV has 18cu ft gas/elect and will admit it doesn't freeze IC like the old one did, but still a work in progress. Mat have to add a 12v fan at bottom on outside to aid in air movement.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
I guess some must have a less efficient Res Fridge than we do. I did a test when we first got it and ran the Fridge for 36 Hours with the two OEM batteries and voltage was still at 12.5. Now have 4 12V Deep Cycle and can go a few days without a problem.

X2 on this.

Tested ours several times. I can go 2 days on 2 fully charged 12v. Batteries. No problem.

Outside air temp 80 to 85 degrees. Probably longer in cooler temps

Can't beat the storage space

X3, I agree, we've had little issues with keeping our fridge running. We however do not do all that much "off the grid" camping so for us it wasn't a concern.

After having both styles of fridges we wouldn't consider going back to the dual mode style. Just too many "pros" as far as we're concerned.

Dan

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the RV frig in my opinion. Res frig warning to not operate if temps get to 110 degrees, need extra batteries, have to tie doors shut, just too many issues for me.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP