cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open Range Owners Any Problems

rvoorhis318
Explorer
Explorer
Our dealer is fantastic but the quality of the build is not so! We've had close to 15 warranty trips to the dealer in the first year:

- all four bearing seals failed on one trip
- dining table & chairs all missing half the screws and the screws were so short the one chair seat came off in my wife hands
- Slide switches not providing adequate power to slide motors
- Bad electrical outlet
- Awning LED lights failed
- Black tank cable broke while in Florida
- Shower door latch cheap plastic doesn't work
- All drawers only 2 screws most have fallen out during travel
- Drawer under oven cabinet frame broke because drawer latches aren't strong enough to keep drawers closed during travel
- Furniture tie down rings cheap & flimsy only one screw, put tension to make things tight and they pull out of the floor
- All interior slide trim has fallen off, held on by minimal strips of adhesive and tiny staples

This is a 2014 345RLS Open Range have had it just over a year, my warranty issues were addresses however, its cost us a small fortune in gas back & forth to the dealer and time lost using the coach for our enjoyment. Open Range has some serious quality control issues and why do they get away with it, because we fix all of their mistakes by making suspension upgrades, replace all the cheap **** with quality parts and make sure the repair work is done properly.

If everything was all good I wouldn't be writing this and its all documented with warranty repair receipts, photos and videos. Today they offered me $425.00 a goodwill offering as they put it for my troubles, I told them to keep it I'd rather tell folks my story. Mind you, my warranty issues were addressed and repaired by either dealer, myself or a carpenter friend of mine but the coach is still dropping sawdust all over everything every time we go out. Should we be breathing this stuff, could it be harmful, any chemicals in that wood we should be worried about, I don't know but I'm going to do my homework on the issue. Quality is a big concern do your homework!!
15 REPLIES 15

TomC1216
Explorer
Explorer
My O.R. a 337RLS 5th wheel is a 2011 model, which I bought used in 2012. I have not had any problems with this that I did not cause myself! I snapped a curtain retainer clip trying to get a new swivel chair thru the rear window! Once I did not secure the cabinet drawer under the fridge well enough, and when I got home 300 miles later, I noticed the pots and pans on the floor, and the drawer slide screws were pulled out. My bad. I love the quality and fit and finish of this unit.
Tom & Mary
2018 Ford F250 6.7L Diesel Platinum
2011 Open Range 337RLS 5th Wheel

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 162nd unit OR built. Yes it did have some problems like any new company.They used to have their slide frames outsourced and they did not come back square causing early slide seal repair. They did have problems with the glue on the back panel delaminating. I took it back to the factory and they fixed everything while we waited. (2 days)
That was in 2009. This past November I again took it back to the factory and had new slide seals installed, a couple of the horse decals, side bump trim, and 3 slide floors. FYI- keep a good look at the edges of the slides where the sides are screwed and along the bottom "L" that holds the floors in, and also the cable termination points on the slides and make sure they are all tightly calked very good as this is a point that water can seep in and soak the floor wood.Both times at the factory they were excellent to work with and went above and beyond to make us happy. Our OR had been close to 35,000 miles. I would not hesitate to purchase another one. Main reason was the dealer we purchased it from went poof-gone earlier last year.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

sure2rain
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my second OR 5er. Bought a new 2010 385 RLS. Had a few minor problems which were all covered under the warranty. No real problems after the warranty period. In September, traded it in for a 2016 397 3X. Did have a few minor problems that occurred on the "shake down" trip. Hopefully the new unit will be as good as the old unit. Obviously, I am a satisfied OR customer.
TV: 05 Chevy 2500 8.1L
5er: 2010 Open Range 385RLS
Hensley Arrow and P3

pioneerclaims
Explorer
Explorer
My O.R. 337RLS is a year old, and... so far... the only Open Range issue I have had is the plastic clip that holds the shower door closed when traveling was broken when I bought I. Dealer fixed before I left to pull it home.

The Pinnacle Dryer died after three-times-a-week usage over the past seven months. Dealer (Berryland Campers) called Pinnacle, and they sent a new dryer. Warranty.

I have been on three long trips in the past year. New Orleans to Nebraska to New Orleans, New Orleans to Texas to New Orleans, and New Orleans to Washington DC. Just went through the SnowPocalypseMageddonZilla storm here last week. No issues with ANY system in the RV.

It is a high quality unit with great luxury features.
Steve Z and sometimes... Debbie, Jon, Chris, Aleyna
2015 Open Range 2015 ROAMER RF337RLS Fifth Wheel
2015 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 4-Door Diesel
Triumph 170CC Center Console Bay Boat in tow

pioneerclaims
Explorer
Explorer
I must be the Lucky Guy. Bought our new 2015 Open Range Roamer 337RLS from Berryland Campers in Hammond Louisiana. Have taken the rig from New Orleans to Texas, New Orleans to the Midwest, New Orleans to Washington DC... all on three month trips. The only issues I have had were: Ran over a nail/flat tire. Plastic shower door closer broke (factory sent a new one) and the dealer-installed Pinnacle clothes dryer (model 850) died. (By the way, Berryland called the Pinnacle people and they sent out a new dryer).

It is currently 11 degrees after a 29" blizzard, and everything works fine. I LOVE THIS RIG.

Sorry for those having issues, but out of the last three rigs I have owned, this Open Range is the highest quality, nicest and most luxurious of them all.

If I could do it again, I would go with the 348 model, only because it has a double refrigerator. Other than that, it is an awesome fiver.
Steve Z and sometimes... Debbie, Jon, Chris, Aleyna
2015 Open Range 2015 ROAMER RF337RLS Fifth Wheel
2015 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 4-Door Diesel
Triumph 170CC Center Console Bay Boat in tow

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:

Don't fall into that trap.........The OP has made this same post in 3 venues that I am aware of. He has an agenda other than getting his RV repaired.

Why would you say that? I regularly visit three RV sites and occasionally post similar questions to get the most answers. What's wrong with doing so?
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
amandasgramma wrote:
We own a 2010....bought it "almost new"....it had only been used 2 weeks and sat for 4 yrs. Problems we've had:

1) air vent under step to bedroom had wires OVER it crimping it down....hubby changed it, now we're warm in the living room

2) a trim on the front started coming off....hubby fixed it.

I'm on the Open Range forum and sadly am seeing that the NEW rigs are having LOTS of problems. The paperwork with this shows only a couple of things caused it to be at the shop with the previous owner. Too bad they've gone downhill, because, seriously, this is the BEST rig we've ever owned!

Don't fall into that trap. The OR forum has grown by leaps and bounds since it was started. Or is selling more units than ever.
Be careful not to judge quality and complaints based on forum traffic.
People with issues seek out the forum for assistance with problems. People with no issues do not seek out the forum to tell how great everything is.
Consequently many forum post from newer owners are related to some sort of problem.
The problem maybe due to OR's negligence,a bad dealer or operator error on the buyer end. The net result is there may appear to be an influx of complaints from new buyers concerning their new units.
Don't get me wrong I don't think OR builds perfect units. Their units may have issues just like every other brand.
OR builds a decent unit. But more importantly, they offer a 2 year warranty and continue to stand behind what they sell.
The OP has made this same post in 3 venues that I am aware of. He has an agenda other than getting his RV repaired.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We have had very few problems with our 2013 Open Range travel trailer. The only warranty item we had was a bad propane regulator (not Open Range fault) that would not switch between tanks. The replaced it promptly. We have had a cabinet start to come loose but I fixed that myself. I did have to change the door lock on the entry door after a couple of years. We really like our trailer and would definitely buy another one but we plan to keep this trailer until death do us part (we don't plan to full time in it but we do plan to snowbird starting next year).
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Open Range Roamer and the only problem we have had is the A/C drain plugged with tree debris. Easy fix. Maybe quality has gone down since Jayco bought them.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2010....bought it "almost new"....it had only been used 2 weeks and sat for 4 yrs. Problems we've had:

1) air vent under step to bedroom had wires OVER it crimping it down....hubby changed it, now we're warm in the living room

2) a trim on the front started coming off....hubby fixed it.

I'm on the Open Range forum and sadly am seeing that the NEW rigs are having LOTS of problems. The paperwork with this shows only a couple of things caused it to be at the shop with the previous owner. Too bad they've gone downhill, because, seriously, this is the BEST rig we've ever owned!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
I am hooked up taking mine back for some much needed love after a few shake down trips. Did not surprise me we had a few glitches this summer. I expected that. There were a few that kinda make my mad but again, nothing I didn't expect. Here is some of the things getting worked on

1 Fridge, won't cool on propane. This one has been a real PIA all summer

2 Awning lights out, went out very first trip

3 Dining chair has to be replaced, they put a screw in at an angle and popped the wood in the seat (never even used it)

4 TV is horrible, loose connection somewhere in the cable (antenna works great)

5 Living room slide rubs on the ceiling, should be a minor adjustment

6 bedroom and bathroom doors both need adjustment

7 driver side wheels seals both bad
There were a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head but all were pretty minor.

Looks like we had similar problems on a couple of things but ours is holding up much better than yours. Not sure if you had a Friday build or what but I don't think your issues are indicative of Open Range quality.Our last trailer (Keystone Sprinter) was in and out of the dealer like a revolving door for the first 6 months! Every time that shop touched it they messed it up worse. They are now closed up! Get the bugs worked out and then enjoy your rig
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah sadly EVERY MFGer has some quality issue's some folks get great one's with very little problems and some get the Lemons ,I am sure there are a lot of Open Range Owners that have had very few problems Hopefully you will get the Bugs out and enjoy it from now on
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
tsetsaf wrote:
Your issues seem standard for the biz... wait a couple years for the grey front cap to start fading then you will want that $400 goodwill gesture.
And ad that $400. to another $1100. and you can have it painted.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your issues seem standard for the biz... wait a couple years for the grey front cap to start fading then you will want that $400 goodwill gesture.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"